T Nation

Frustrated With My Arms

Okey this is annoying as hell I’m 175 pounds with 14.5 inch arms…
problem is I’m stuck at this point for about a year , I’m already benching and deadlifting over twice my bodyweight and eating a lot of protein and overall calories…

but it seems I just gain fat weight and strength
My arms don’t grow…
I can curl 66pounds (30KG)
and extend (french press) about 44
for like 4-5 reps
although I mostly do gose grip work for my arms

yet they still don’t grow
wtf am I doing wrong

SQUAT + MILK!!!–just decided to get that out of the way.
a picture would help, as would an outline of your workout.

w/o a picture i wouldn’t know if your back dominant which would hamper bicep growth. Or if your chest dominant which would hamper tricep growth. Its quite a rare thing to happen though.
Thib, Ian King, and Poliquin have some arm specialization articles you can look up.

[quote]zooropa1150 wrote:
SQUAT + MILK!!!–just decided to get that out of the way.
a picture would help, as would an outline of your workout.

w/o a picture i wouldn’t know if your back dominant which would hamper bicep growth. Or if your chest dominant which would hamper tricep growth. Its quite a rare thing to happen though.
Thib, Ian King, and Poliquin have some arm specialization articles you can look up.

[/quote]
Or maybe he needs to build a strong base first and quit worrying about his damn biceps? Once he can bench 250+lbs, squat 350+lbs and pull 450+ lbs and his bodyweight is “high” for his height, he might have less worries about his bicep size. Also do grip work; the dirty little secret of the bodybuilding community.

Benched 350 @ 175 w/ 14.5 inch arms?

How did you train…?

Eat more.

[quote]VTPower wrote:

How did you train…?[/quote]

I haven’t reached a point where I’m about to cry about my biceps and then start to “focus on them” with all sorts of variations in hopes to make them grow 3/4 of an inch. What I (and likely the OP) need is to put on overall size and strength and then worry about arm size later.

How many guys had 20 inch arms and weighed under 200 lbs? How many of those guys that did were on steroids?

Its honestly as simple as gaining more weight man! No one on the Mr Olympia stage weighs 175 pounds, you know what I mean? Size = weight, bottom line.

Some guys are more apt to have larger arms at a smaller weight, but that obviously is not you, so get in the game and eat. Once you hit a lean 200 or 210, you will have the arms you want.

From your post, it sounds like your weight training is focused on strength training.

If you want to grow in size you should focus on bodybuilding.

Although strength and size can go together it is not a given. Everyone is different in various ways. You need to find what works for you.

I would suggest you re-evaluate your rep and set strategy. And your diet also.

Good luck.

Close grips and reverse close grip (palms facing up towards your head. need someone to help unrack weight because its awkward till its over your chest) bb benching hit 2 different heads of the tricep and with heavy weight.

Weighted chinups with a 5-10 seconds on the lowering for your bicep. I like the idea in one of the CT articles on the front page about cleaning the weight up and then slowly lowering it reverse grip style on the way down-did it yesterday and am feeling a solid soreness in the arms sounds good in theory but can’t speak on it from experience.

curls and skullcrushers are fun. But I didn’t put any appreciable size on the arms till I incorporated the 3 exercises I put above (on top of a ton of other heavy lifts for the big muscles). I liked using them with a push/pull split 4 day week. Then saturday I would go in and usually hit arms again (saturday was my day for calfs, abs, grip and lots of light weight shoulder work and other things I wanted to hit one more time during the week

I think this exercise came out in 17 A.D whats it called um 21’s I think.

[quote]VTPower wrote:

How did you train…?[/quote]

Shit…if your benching twice your BW fuck your biceps are you kidding me?? P.S. i want a vid thats RIDICULOUS im jealous.

Sounds like you’re not doing enough direct arm work. Do an arm day each week a couple days after you did your pushing and pulling moves so that your arms rested.

Search this site for Ian King’s Great Guns program. It has some good arm movements even if you decide not to do the program. I did it once, and found 12 weeks was too long.

If following a program seems too rigid to you, just keep a log of your lifts so that you can see exactly what you did last workout. Seeing your previous sets, reps and weight in writing will motivate you to do more the next time.

Try to increase reps at the same weight or increase weight and keep reps up with last workout. Either or is a step in the right direction.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
VTPower wrote:

How did you train…?

I haven’t reached a point where I’m about to cry about my biceps and then start to “focus on them” with all sorts of variations in hopes to make them grow 3/4 of an inch. What I (and likely the OP) need is to put on overall size and strength and then worry about arm size later.

How many guys had 20 inch arms and weighed under 200 lbs? How many of those guys that did were on steroids? [/quote]

I totally agree w/ you. However, if he just wants to build big arms, then nothing i or you can say will change that fact. To me, 20 inch arms are out of the question. I will never have 20 inch arms even if i were on gear. It certainly is quite an acheivement.

Do less work! Squats & Milk!

Stop being a dumb about it. Lift weights, the only reason you are gaining fat is because you’re eating to much.

[quote]emonkeh wrote:
My arms don’t grow…
for like 4-5 reps
[/quote]

Here’s your problem right here. If you’re benching, squatting, DLing twice your bodyweight and can only curl 66 pounds I would say you have been neglecting your bi’s. Include more direct arm work and train them HEAVY. With your main lift numbers you should be curling a lot more than that.

BTW, you’re benching twice your bodyweight but can only extend 44 lbs with your triceps? WTF??

[quote]ultimatethor wrote:
emonkeh wrote:
My arms don’t grow…
for like 4-5 reps

Here’s your problem right here. If you’re benching, squatting, DLing twice your bodyweight and can only curl 66 pounds I would say you have been neglecting your bi’s. Include more direct arm work and train them HEAVY. With your main lift numbers you should be curling a lot more than that.

BTW, you’re benching twice your bodyweight but can only extend 44 lbs with your triceps? WTF??[/quote]

maybe his bench and deadlift combined are twice his weight.

As already mentioned your numbers do not seem to add up, but I will give some suggestions. Although you have not included your entire workout, it seems you are missing some key exercises.

The secret to arm size is tricep mass. The bicep is more the gravy on top of the meat and potatoes. The triceps compose about 2/3 or arm size. One of the best tricep developers is dips. For anyone trying to build up their arms I would say forget the curls and do dips. Impressive shoulders also give arms an impressive look.

You did not mention using rows and chinups in your program. These definitely hit the back pretty hard, but also can put a lot of meat on the biceps.

If you incorporate dips, chins, and rows into your workout you should see increases in your arm size (provided you do them with enough weight and volume to stimulate growth). A side benefit to these exercises is that they also help build the back, chest, and delts. Good luck.

If you can’t add weight to your top worksets, do less work with more intensity and see if that helps produce poundage gains.

If you aren’t gaining fat, eat more.

If you are doing very low reps, maybe add in a 10+ rep backdown set with 70% of your final workset weight only 60-90 secs after it.

Perhaps do some isolation work for biceps. Curling 30kg is very weak. Curling 60kg for 6 reps or so should give you OK arms.

Best advice is just to get growing all over. Squat 450lb with your other lifts in line with that - then you should have 16" arms.

Heavy Rows and Chins are my favorites for brining up lagging biceps.

Basic rules still apply though: eat more to grow more.

Olesya