T Nation

Fruits/Veggies In Daily Carb Count?

Simple question. Do you count fruits and vegetables in your daily carb intakes? When I say fruits I’m also referring to those with a relatively low glycemic index, not bananas and the likes.

If I’m dieting, sure. I’d pretty much count everything except for vegetables that only have a few gs of carbs (i.e. like spinach or celery).

There was a similar thread about this a few months back.

To be clear, everything you eat COUNTS. It all adds up, of course. This will only lessen the deficit that you put your body in calorie wise and slow down or inhibit fatloss. HOWEVER, if you eat broccoli like me (very small amounts throughout the day just to “add” something to your plain chicken breast meal) the it most likely adds up to <100kcals. If thats the case, why drive yourself nuts and weigh these things.

Summary, I would count everything, especially fruit unless you only eat small amounts of green fibrous veggies daily.

[quote]elusive wrote:
There was a similar thread about this a few months back.

To be clear, everything you eat COUNTS. It all adds up, of course. This will only lessen the deficit that you put your body in calorie wise and slow down or inhibit fatloss. HOWEVER, if you eat broccoli like me (very small amounts throughout the day just to “add” something to your plain chicken breast meal) the it most likely adds up to <100kcals. If thats the case, why drive yourself nuts and weigh these things.

Summary, I would count everything, especially fruit unless you only eat small amounts of green fibrous veggies daily. [/quote]

Sounds good to me.

I’m not a big fruit fan, but when I’m dieting (and even in off season mode lately), I ingest a lot of raw broccoli and cauliflower. I don’t factor these into my daily numbers at all, and actually started using them simply to ‘pad’ out my meals so that I would feel more full (I dice them into my omelets as well as occasionally nuking a bowl full with Molly McButter Cheese sprinkles on top of 'em)

S

I like to count everything for no other reason than I want to.
Definatly count the fruits.
I’ve never seen a diet derailed because of eating too much lettuce, spinach, or broccoli. Skip counting them if you want.

definitely count the fruits. And keep an eye out for hi-cal vegetables (corn, peas, beans).

But stuff like spinach and celery I ignore just to make it easier.

I think the general rule of thumb I’ve heard battered around, is that you don’t count your GREEN veggies. If you ever read Thibs old articles recounting how he finally cut up after being a bulkier Olympic lifter for years, I believe he mentions how he eats whole cucumbers (I tried this myself after reading about it but would get the worst gas pains -lol)

S

I honestly don’t see a reason why to count green veggies, or veggies in general. The contain very little carbs, have only a few calories and most of their carbs are fiberous anyway.
In my first years as a bodybuilder I counted exerything! I even measured my daily water, sodium, potassium intake, etc.

Today I strongly believe that you should focus on counting starchy carbs (or the simple carbs of your peri-workout nutrition, of course) as well as figuring out your protein intake.

As for fruits: I count them. I’m not a big fan of fruit. I belive that once your liver glycogen stores are full, fructose has more negative sides (way it’s metabolized in the liver, conversion to fat, etc.) than positive ones (like the low GI). I therefor only have fruits in the first meal of the day and would count them and try the evaluate the impact on my body if I had more throughout the day.

para

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I think the general rule of thumb I’ve heard battered around, is that you don’t count your GREEN veggies. If you ever read Thibs old articles recounting how he finally cut up after being a bulkier Olympic lifter for years, I believe he mentions how he eats whole cucumbers (I tried this myself after reading about it but would get the worst gas pains -lol)

S
[/quote]

This happens if you eat the entire cucumber. If you cut it in half and remove the pits (is this the proper English word??) and maybe 1/4 of the skin, too, it shouldn’t happen…

You eat RAW broccoli… this gives me gas pains…

cheers,
para

[quote]ParagonA wrote:

This happens if you eat the entire cucumber. If you cut it in half and remove the pits (is this the proper English word??) and maybe 1/4 of the skin, too, it shouldn’t happen…

cheers,
para[/quote]

Really? The seeds are what gave me gas?! Crazy. It’s funny that I can handle so much raw broccoli though, most people aren’t fans. When I was mid way into my prep last Spring, I went to a party with my GF and a bunch of her friends, and had to find somewhere off in a dark corner to unwrap and eat my unseasoned chicken breast and ziplock bag o’ borccoli. Never felt like such a weirdo in my life -lol.

S

Hmm although I’m not as experienced as a lot of others Would it make sense not to count that calories in the vegetables as they are not very calorie dense. And the amount of calories it takes to prepare, cook and eat these vegetable will probably be not far off the amount of calories inside the vegetables.

I wouldn’t worry too much otherwise you’ll have to start working out how many calories your burning from eating, walking and adapting that to your diet and if you went out to the shops you’ll have to add another 100 calories.

When I was mid way into my prep last Spring, I went to a party with my GF and a bunch of her friends, and had to find somewhere off in a dark corner to unwrap and eat my unseasoned chicken breast and ziplock bag o’ borccoli. Never felt like such a weirdo in my life -lol.

S[/quote]

That is obssessive behaviour dude! But thanks for sharing that with the group - we are all a bit mad for the iron at the end of the day!

ParagonA wrote:

cheers,
para

Really? The seeds are what gave me gas?! Crazy. It’s funny that I can handle so much raw broccoli though, most people aren’t fans. When I was mid way into my prep last Spring, I went to a party with my GF and a bunch of her friends, and had to find somewhere off in a dark corner to unwrap and eat my unseasoned chicken breast and ziplock bag o’ borccoli. Never felt like such a weirdo in my life -lol.

S[/quote]

Seeds! There is the word… My English stil sucks, but I’m working on it…
I believe it’s the seeds. Removing them works very well for me.

These are the best moments in life! I felt like a real weirdo during my PhD exams. I had to take several written tests, each lasting 4 hours. Since this is a long time going without food, I took breaks after 2 hours and ate my boiled checken brest, steamed broccoli and rice. While all the other studends didn’t take a second off writing…

Thanks for all of the info, this community always produces big time.

lol Molly McButter