Fruits Are the Devil!

[quote]lorman7 wrote:
The image of me sneaking fruit baskets into a secret room is sad but true. The only minor difference are the pictures of prof X’s mother.
[/quote]

If you had pictures of my mother on your wall, she would have kicked your ass long before your fruit obssession ever had a chance to take hold. Don’t use her to cover up your Ricky Martin poster fetish. I’ll pay you if you can find a pic of my mom in anything more revealing than a full length pants suit or some “sensible” shorts from JC Penny’s.

[quote]ipjunkie wrote:

I think everyone could stand to eat MORE fruit. I love loading my breakfast protein shake with pineapples, frozen berries, hell even a friggin BANANA! Fruit is good for you. Eat lots of protein, eat lots of fruit. Fruit, Fruit, Fruit!
[/quote]

You mean a friggin .9 of a BANANA, right?

I was on the velocity diet so there wasn’t much fo a log to keep. I have been using fit day to log my food, but i’ll now do it in ana ctual log.

Here’s my meal log.

1.Breakfast
Cottage cheese
bowl of lettuce
Albacore tuna

1. Pre workout snack/Post workout
    1 serving Grow! Shake with flax seeds

2. Surge

3. Grow! bar

4.Cotta Cheese
Cod Fillet

1. Grow Bar

2. Low-Carb Grow!.

Now picture this. It 8 pm, I am up to 1812 cals, 118 carb, 220 protein.

I have a nice small dinner with lettuce and grilled chicken. I am now at 2150 cals, 120 carb, 278 protein. Not bad. But this is when I get a major fruit craving and next thing I know I am shoving in two apples and then some. Screws up my whole diet as I am now over 200 carbs. This has been happening EVERY DAY for the last two weeks.

Fruits are extremely healthy…but they do contain alot of sugar…but its natural you say? Well all sugar affects your body the same way…it raises your blood sugar levels. Sugar reduces your bodies ability to release fat for energy…so if you must have fruit NEVER EAT ALONE, have with a protein source this will slow the release of the sugar. Eating a fruit salad or a glass of OJ first thing in the morning alone could send your bodies insulin levels high enough to shut off your bodies fat burning potential for the next 3-5 hours. if your already lean…eat all the fruit you want…but if your goal is to get as lean as possible…eat less fruit and more vegetables!

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I’ll pay you if you can find a pic of my mom in anything more revealing than a full length pants suit or some “sensible” shorts from JC Penny’s.[/quote]

I’m sorry, but that sentence just cracked me up …

Free interpretation … ahem …

If you’re finding yourself binging on fruit, your caloric deficit is most likely too excessive. Your general approach to fitness and body composition might need some rethinking…

I think Dan John said it best on one of his Get UP! newsletters

Nobody ever got fat eating fruits and vegetables.

[quote]6foot6 wrote:
Fruits are extremely healthy…but they do contain alot of sugar…but its natural you say? Well all sugar affects your body the same way…it raises your blood sugar levels. Sugar reduces your bodies ability to release fat for energy…so if you must have fruit NEVER EAT ALONE, have with a protein source this will slow the release of the sugar. Eating a fruit salad or a glass of OJ first thing in the morning alone could send your bodies insulin levels high enough to shut off your bodies fat burning potential for the next 3-5 hours. if your already lean…eat all the fruit you want…but if your goal is to get as lean as possible…eat less fruit and more vegetables![/quote]

Dude, check your sceince before you say this sort of thing. Not all sugars work the same. Check out a GI chart some time. There’s a lot of fruit at the low end of the scale. Glucose and fructose DO NOT have the same effect on insulin/blood sugar. Though, your suggestion of more veggies is sound advice.

[quote]lorman7 wrote:
The only minor difference are the pictures of prof X’s mother.
[/quote]

I know you only have 13 posts to your credit here on T-Nation. But, you really have to understand that doing “mother” jokes screams that you are a teen who has no class. Now I know that’s not the case…so knock it off!

Oh come on…If you take meaningless comments like that seriously then I know you have way too much free time on your hands. I know that’s not true in your case.

I appriciate your advice Zeb and I will join you on your diet suggestions.

There is truth in both these posts - you should be wary of the simple carbohydrate content although it can be mitigated to some extent by the GI value, fiber in the fruit and the other foods ingested simultaneously.

In relation to the latter point about combining fruit with other foods, I have read that it is a good idea to eat fruit on its own or at least prior to other foods. Apparently fruit ferments when it is sitting on top of other, particularly slow digesting, food in your stomach.

Another point that is worth making is that sugars should be limited for certain people e.g. metabolic syndrome X, candida sufferers, etc - all more common conditions that is generally realised.

Hope that’s of some help…

[quote]Papa wrote:
6foot6 wrote:
Fruits are extremely healthy…but they do contain alot of sugar…but its natural you say? Well all sugar affects your body the same way…it raises your blood sugar levels. Sugar reduces your bodies ability to release fat for energy…so if you must have fruit NEVER EAT ALONE, have with a protein source this will slow the release of the sugar. Eating a fruit salad or a glass of OJ first thing in the morning alone could send your bodies insulin levels high enough to shut off your bodies fat burning potential for the next 3-5 hours. if your already lean…eat all the fruit you want…but if your goal is to get as lean as possible…eat less fruit and more vegetables!

Dude, check your sceince before you say this sort of thing. Not all sugars work the same. Check out a GI chart some time. There’s a lot of fruit at the low end of the scale. Glucose and fructose DO NOT have the same effect on insulin/blood sugar. Though, your suggestion of more veggies is sound advice.
[/quote]

Here’s a snippet from an article that probably explains why a lot of people are afraid of fruit (but shouldn’t be)

"So what’s wrong with fructose? Fruit’s bad rap comes from the fact that it contains fructose–a simple carbohydrate that the body processes in a different way than it processes other such sugars.

Fructose is not directly utilized by muscles the way that glucose and dextrose are. These other simple sugars are readily converted to muscle glycogen, the form of carbohydrates that are stored in muscles. Having well-stocked muscle glycogen stores helps you recover and grow and helps you perform better at your next workout. It also gives muscles a full appearance that bodybuilders seek.

When you take in fructose, though, it must first travel to the liver before it can be converted to glycogen. The problem with fructose arises when your liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and is stored, which increases the size of your fat cells. As it’s often hard to gauge when your liver glycogen stocks are full, many bodybuilders opt for avoiding fruit altogether. Such extreme measures may actually be counterproductive, as eliminating fruits also excludes the nutrients they offer."

[quote]Professor X wrote:
lorman7 wrote:
The image of me sneaking fruit baskets into a secret room is sad but true. The only minor difference are the pictures of prof X’s mother.

If you had pictures of my mother on your wall, she would have kicked your ass long before your fruit obssession ever had a chance to take hold. Don’t use her to cover up your Ricky Martin poster fetish. I’ll pay you if you can find a pic of my mom in anything more revealing than a full length pants suit or some “sensible” shorts from JC Penny’s.[/quote]

Okay, I’m laughing so hard I’m puking up all the blueberries and blackberries and strawberries and peaches and cranberries and pineapple and mango and raspberries I ate this morning.

[quote]loctite_zexel wrote:
Here’s a snippet from an article that probably explains why a lot of people are afraid of fruit (but shouldn’t be)

"So what’s wrong with fructose? Fruit’s bad rap comes from the fact that it contains fructose–a simple carbohydrate that the body processes in a different way than it processes other such sugars.

Fructose is not directly utilized by muscles the way that glucose and dextrose are. These other simple sugars are readily converted to muscle glycogen, the form of carbohydrates that are stored in muscles. Having well-stocked muscle glycogen stores helps you recover and grow and helps you perform better at your next workout. It also gives muscles a full appearance that bodybuilders seek.

When you take in fructose, though, it must first travel to the liver before it can be converted to glycogen. The problem with fructose arises when your liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and is stored, which increases the size of your fat cells. As it’s often hard to gauge when your liver glycogen stocks are full, many bodybuilders opt for avoiding fruit altogether. Such extreme measures may actually be counterproductive, as eliminating fruits also excludes the nutrients they offer."[/quote]

Yes, but while fructose derives its name from the fact that it is produced by fruit, it is not necessarily the main sugar in a given fruit. Grapes, I think are almost 100% glucose and sucrose, and all fruits contain other sugars, perhaps in higher amounts than fructose.

[quote]loctite_zexel wrote:
The problem with fructose arises when your liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and is stored, which increases the size of your fat cells.[quote]

LOL!

[quote]lorman7 wrote:
I was on the velocity diet so there wasn’t much fo a log to keep. I have been using fit day to log my food, but i’ll now do it in ana ctual log.

Here’s my meal log.

1.Breakfast
Cottage cheese
bowl of lettuce
Albacore tuna

2. Surge

3. Grow! bar

4.Cotta Cheese
Cod Fillet

1. Grow! Bar

2. Low-Carb Grow!.

I have a nice small dinner with lettuce and grilled chicken. I am now at 2150 cals, 120 carb, 278 protein. Not bad. But this is when I get a major fruit craving and next thing I know I am shoving in two apples and then some. Screws up my whole diet as I am now over 200 carbs. This has been happening EVERY DAY for the last two weeks.
[/quote]

There are NO fruits and vegetables in this day’s food. This is NOT HEALTHY.
Lettuce is not a vegetable. It is roughage. Very little in the way of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants or calories. Eat some real food. Like fruit and vegetables and meat and eggs and cheese with FAT.

TNT

[quote]Papa wrote:
6foot6 wrote:

[/quote]

**I never wrote all sugar has the same EXACT effect, your taking that too literally…but they all do raise your blood sugar levels and all do reduce your bodies ability to release fat for energy, that was the point I was trying to make. Alot of the fruit that is on the low end of the GI scale is because of its fiber content. If you subtract the fiber your blood sugar is near the same. There are many flaws in the GI index, I have journals that reveal them. The GI is pretty good place to start…but you shouldnt base your entire nutrition plan on it.

Sugar is a natural product. The sugar in your sugar bowl is the same substance (sucrose) found naturally in sugar cane, sugar beets, apples, oranges, carrots and every other fruit and vegetable we eat. The body uses sugar from sugar cane and sugar beets in the same way as the sugars in fruit and vegetables. The sugars found in all carbohydrate foods all become glucose, fuel for the body.

[quote]lorman7 wrote:

Here’s my meal log.

1.Breakfast
Cottage cheese
bowl of lettuce
Albacore tuna

2. Surge

3. Grow! bar

4.Cotta Cheese
Cod Fillet

1. Grow Bar

2. Low-Carb Grow!.

[/quote]

No wonder you binge on fruit at the end of the day - you must be starving!!

I’ve got an idea for you. How about you add some fucking food to your diet and see how you go. Your body must be literally starving for nutrients, simply because your diet is shit. Let’s do a simple comparison:

Your Low carb breakfast:

Fuck all

My Low carb breakfast:

400 grams of steak
3 pure pork sausages
4 eggs
spinach
cheese
200ml of youghurt with active cultures and ground flaxseed meal.

All up, about 14 grams of carbs. I ate this for breakfast this morning and I feel great. Can you see the difference between the two?

Go eat some real food.

[quote]Massif wrote:
lorman7 wrote:

Here’s my meal log.

1.Breakfast
Cottage cheese
bowl of lettuce
Albacore tuna

2. Surge

3. Grow! bar

4.Cotta Cheese
Cod Fillet

1. Grow! Bar

2. Low-Carb Grow!.

No wonder you binge on fruit at the end of the day - you must be starving!!

I’ve got an idea for you. How about you add some fucking food to your diet and see how you go. Your body must be literally starving for nutrients, simply because your diet is shit. Let’s do a simple comparison:

Your Low carb breakfast:

Fuck all

My Low carb breakfast:

400 grams of steak
3 pure pork sausages
4 eggs
spinach
cheese
200ml of youghurt with active cultures and ground flaxseed meal.

All up, about 14 grams of carbs. I ate this for breakfast this morning and I feel great. Can you see the difference between the two?

Go eat some real food.[/quote]

I’m coming to your house for breakfast. Man you know how to eat. That’s my kinda of breakfast.

Did you ever notice that the people that always cry that they aren’t making any progress in either the BF dept., or the strength dept. or speed
dept. all have one thing in common. Their diet is crap and when you point it out to them they take offence.

TNT