Fruit Post-Workout

I have been downing about 2.5 cups of frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and rasberries) with 1 cup of lowfat vanilla yogurt and 60 grams of protien for a postworkout drink.

Is this the right type and enough carbs?

[quote]Eric Cartman wrote:
I have been downing about 2.5 cups of frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and rasberries) with 1 cup of lowfat vanilla yogurt and 60 grams of protien for a postworkout drink.

Is this the right type and enough carbs?[/quote]

This is fine. If you were to go with the technically perfect PWO this may not fit it, but it is more than ok.

You’re working out hard and eating something. You’re ahead of the game.

Yes.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Eric Cartman wrote:

Yes.

[/quote]

Optimal?? No Good and healthy yes

[quote]Phill wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Eric Cartman wrote:

Yes.

[/quote]

No offense, but how does anyone know what is optimal for someone they have never met? I have never mapped out my specific intake of carbs and proteins after a workout and have often just tried to get some kind of carbs down to stop any catabolism due to lack of nutrition.

The one thing I can say for certain is that out of over 300 workouts in a year, I am getting some kind of food down within an hour of training in all of them and that alone has made the biggest difference from when I was in high school.

Sometimes, it is less important to attempt to be in some arbitrary “optimal state” and much more important to just understand your body needs some nutrition. I would hate to see what some of these guys are doing if they forget Surge at home or aren’t directly in arm’s length of a protein shake.

Over the course of years, I am honestly wondering whether any of that matters much because it isn’t like people are just blowing up like The Incredible Hulk left and right around here.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Phill wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Eric Cartman wrote:

Yes.

No offense, but how does anyone know what is optimal for someone they have never met? I have never mapped out my specific intake of carbs and proteins after a workout and have often just tried to get some kind of carbs down to stop any catabolism due to lack of nutrition.

The one thing I can say for certain is that out of over 300 workouts, I am getting some kind of food down within an hour of training and that alone has made the biggest difference from when I was in high school.

Sometimes, it is less important to attempt to be in some arbitrary “optimal state” and much more important to just understand your body needs some nutrition. I would hate to see what some of these guys are doing if they forget Surge at home or aren’t directly in arm’s length of a protein shake.

Over the course of years, I am honestly wondering whether any of that matters much because it isn’t like people are just blowing up like The Incredible Hulk left and right around here.[/quote]

Come on Prof. Are you saying you don’t have any faith in the supplement industry? They’d never steer us wrong! Ever.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

Come on Prof. Are you saying you don’t have any faith in the supplement industry? They’d never steer us wrong! Ever.[/quote]

The craze for half of this stuff would be even half way understandable if all of these people were getting amazing results left and right and just gaining muscle faster than anyone else.

Maybe I am missing some of the miraculous physique changing going on around here, but most of the people who are making the most progress seem to be the ones who are NOT focusing on minor issues like whether their “peri-workout drink” has 60% protein in it as opposed to 40%.

There are people here turning this into some type of mathematician’s wet dream and the results just don’t seem to be backing any of this up.

I don’t know about you, but shouldn’t that be what warrants the focus on things that minor…the results from it?

eengrms76 wrote:

Come on Prof. Are you saying you don’t have any faith in the supplement industry? They’d never steer us wrong! Ever.

The craze for half of this stuff would be even half way understandable if all of these people were getting amazing results left and right and just gaining muscle faster than anyone else.

Maybe I am missing some of the miraculous physique changing going on around here, but most of the people who are making the most progress seem to be the ones who are NOT focusing on minor issues like whether their “peri-workout drink” has 60% protein in it as opposed to 40%.

There are people here turning this into some type of mathematician’s wet dream and the results just don’t seem to be backing any of this up.

I don’t know about you, but shouldn’t that be what warrants the focus on things that minor…the results from it?[/quote]

I agree im just saying it isnt optimal as in fruit has a lot of fructose needing to be converted in the liver first prior to being used to refill glycogen but sure it has other sugars as well.

yes I agree get some damn food thats #1 and dont stress over it. Hell I for the most part immediate post workout go have a big plate of food, I have Surge prior and during. or eat prior.

But yes if you want optimal have Surge or a Surge like beverage I see nothing wrong with telling the truth or preceived truth at this time until a new study proves it wrong. That simple fast acting carbs and predigested protein is optimal spiking insulin etc.

yes what he is doing is great keep it up at least and if you want to take it a step further do so.

Phill

eengrms76 wrote:

I don’t know about you, but shouldn’t that be what warrants the focus on things that minor…the results from it?[/quote]

True I agree but cant understand why they need to stress over something like a Surge type beverage just drink the damn thing. Its food with a purpose that it plain and simple.

[quote]Phill wrote:

True I agree but cant understand why they need to stress over something like a Surge type beverage just drink the damn thing. Its food with a purpose that it plain and simple.
[/quote]

I’m not stressed in the least. I don’t buy that particular product and would consider that the last thing I would ever need to worry about in terms of how I eat. I think it is great you believe in it. I hope you get even better results from taking it. I do not, however, consider it necessary or believe my progress is stunted by not worrying about it.

The issue here is the fact that any guy…anyone in a weight room unless they are getting ready for a competition and has dialed things in that tight…would have it in their head at all that eating some fruit and getting some protein down after a workout is a bad thing. That is the problem.

This is something I have been thinking about lately.

After his workouts, Ronnie Coleman goes to Black Eyed Pea for a couple of chicken breasts with barbeque sauce and a potatoe with ketchup.

Most of the “experts” recommend something like surge or whey protein with gatorade for post-workout nutrition.

I read Men’s Health every month. I have read so many studies showing the long-term benefits of consuming fruits, as well as articles discussing the benefits of consuming yogurt.

The problem is, if you are trying to restrict your carb consumption, where do you fit the fruit and yogurt in? It makes sense to me that if you are trying to consume moderate amounts of carbs then don’t opt for Surge or gatorade and whey protein; instead opt for the whey protein, fruit and yogurt shake, since they contain phytochemicals like bioflavanoids and polyphenols or active cultures which will help out your immune system, digestive system and long-term health. If you aren’t concerned with monitoring your carb consumption, then surge or gatorade and whey are fine.

I think that too often bodybuilders and gym goers are right on the mark as far as macronutrients go (protein, carbohydrates and fat), but not on the mark as far as micronutrients (vitamins, minerals and trace minerals) phytochemicals and active cultures go.

eengrms76 wrote:

What it is for most people who are or are not making progress is something they feel they can control. I can control how much and when I eat, therefore I want to know as much as possible about the correct food/timing. I can’t control how my body reacts to training or how much muscle I gain, so if I believe that I am doing everything diet-wise perfect then I can blame the rest on genetics… (I’m using the “I” figuratively of course, as “I” know better)

People just need something to worry and fuss over in order to keep them motivated and in tune with their new lifestyle. Those who are seasoned pros, like yourslef, know better.

Why do you think this site, and most sites in general are so diet-focused and not so much on the training side? How many training articles have we seen lately compared to the number of diet articles? Like 1 to 10? It’s all about control.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
It’s all about control.[/quote]

When that ‘control’ fails to produce results worth the effort, it is to re-examine what works and what doesn’t. You simplify things and try again. You don’t keep making it more and more complex.

[quote]Phill wrote:
yes I agree get some damn food thats #1 and dont stress over it. [/quote]

Then why tell some kid who is obviously on the right part what he is doing is not optimal? Why stress him? Why other than to make yourself feel cool and knowledgeable.

There are a lot of people who need advice - and rebuke - on this forum. Someone who is eating fruit, yogurt, and protein powder after working out is obviously on the right track.

So stop stressing people over details that won’t make that big of a difference, anyway.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Why do you think this site, and most sites in general are so diet-focused and not so much on the training side? [/quote]

Because people are lazy and looking for the easy way out. They want some new article on dieting that they think will help them achieve magical results with minimal effort.

Anyone who has the basics down should be able to craft his own diet. It’s not at all hard.

Phill wrote:

I’m not stressed in the least. I don’t buy that particular product and would consider that the last thing I would ever need to worry about in terms of how I eat. I think it is great you believe in it. I hope you get even better results from taking it. I do not, however, consider it necessary or believe my progress is stunted by not worrying about it.

The issue here is the fact that any guy…anyone in a weight room unless they are getting ready for a competition and has dialed things in that tight…would have it in their head at all that eating some fruit and getting some protein down after a workout is a bad thing. That is the problem.[/quote]

Did I not tell you this is exactly what would happen in this thread!!!

Everyone on this site is only after OPTIMUM. Heaven forbid you can’t be OPTIMUM. Timings of meals and quantities of calories and macro breakdown and …garbage. I just can’t bellieve how the responses here are tied into some one size fits all–this is the best and only way to get any size or recover properly.

Now we are afraid of fruit! It has sugar–OH MY GOSH

Phill wrote:

The issue here is the fact that any guy…anyone in a weight room unless they are getting ready for a competition and has dialed things in that tight…would have it in their head at all that eating some fruit and getting some protein down after a workout is a bad thing. That is the problem.[/quote]

I really fail to see where we disagreee aside from the fact I like and use Surge. I said from the start the fruti etc was good just prob not optimal. I even stated my usual post w/o is a meal directly minutes after training and it includes fruit. Thats when I have Surge during etc Or ill have the Surge after wait a bit drive home and grub down food including Fruit.

If it came down to it and it was a choice between eating real food, fruit, veggies whoe forms of protien. Hell Id tell anyone eat the damn food to many benefits from the nutrients etc that surpass something a Supplement can give.

Im just saying why not have both. I mean its a simple way to stack the deck in your favor why not take it. its simple mix the stuff and slam it down. then have the real food. If its that easy to swing the pendulum just a touch more in your favor why not do it. WE can use any bit of help we can get in this.

That is if you allready have diet and training intact and like you said dont stress over the minutia. I dont see why people do stress over supps etc just vtake the damn things or dont dont worry about waiting 5.3 mintues try band take them when your supposed to but if its not on the exact second you’ll be OK. I Agreed and think people do stress to much and over think things.

Not sure where else to go to explain this I just failn to really see where we disagree asdie again from the fact I dont see why taking Surge along with and AFTER proper nutrition was in place could be a bad thing or recomending it.

Phill

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Phill wrote:
yes I agree get some damn food thats #1 and dont stress over it.

Then why tell some kid who is obviously on the right part what he is doing is not optimal? Why stress him? Why other than to make yourself feel cool and knowledgeable.[/quote]

Why lie to him?? Why not tell the truth he asked the question. Apparently he was interested, he knows a few things and is doing good why not help him get to the next level poossibly.

If he brought a car to me that was say a classic rod had a souped up motor a bit and asked about it if it was ok and I saw some simple and effective changes that could be made. maybe a little adjust ment to the timing, and carbs. I wouldnt tell him Yup it perfect. Id give him the simple suggestions that may make the damn thing run better.

Same here, what he has is good, but a simple change just may be better so I made the recomendation. I see nothing wrong with iut and if he or any one is so weak willed and spinless that that causes stress and undue catabolism. By god then they have larger issues to look at in them selves. people just stress over the smallest damn thing and if they cant take a little criticism and critique then they need to grow up a bit get a bit more thick skinned and live a little.

[quote]
There are a lot of people who need advice - and rebuke - on this forum. Someone who is eating fruit, yogurt, and protein powder after working out is obviously on the right track.

So stop stressing people over details that won’t make that big of a difference, anyway.[/quote]

Again yes his plan is good but may be made better by a simple addition and if making a simple recomendation causes that damn muich stress this world and the people in it have big problems.

Why ask question then if all we are to do is tell people yes its perfect even if it isnt just so we dont hurt there little fragile feeling.

I aint buying it.

Phill

That sounds delicious. I make a protein smoothie with frozen strawberries and peaches with a banana, yogurt and protein. It’s yummy as well.

this question cannot be accurately answered without knowing your current physical state, your goals, activities, and how you respond to carbs.

as for carbs, your yogurt may contain quite a bit of sugar, in this case you may be getting enough depending on your workout. you could still optimize by going towards more glucose based carbs rather than ones containing fructose (i am talking about what is in the yogurt not the fruit).

the fruit itself will only have around 6g of sugar per 100g, so it is quite low in carbs actually. if you want to use fruit sources for refuelling, bananas, grapes and mangoes are all higher in sugar. berries tend to be at the low end of the scale.