Fruit and Vegetable Shortage to Come

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
I think the goal of every country should be to become self sustaining. [/quote]

That is a recipe for war. Free trade is a recipe for peace.
[/quote]

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours goat or greenhouse or …

I wouldn’t tolerate someone else fucking with my shit just because I’ve set it up better than him, why should countries? Teach a man to fish right?

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Awhile ago before bed I started thinking how it would be advantageous to have a large greenhouse farm outside of every major city to supply fresh produce year-round. Have composting set-up, solar/wind energy supply systems. I think it would be cool, although I’m not sure how feasible it is.[/quote]

I’m not sure how big your city is, but it would be difficult to have a “large” greenhouse for an entire city.[/quote]

I didn’t mean just one, but multiple bigger-than-they-are-small greenhouses.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

I believe there were a few wars, famines, death camps, &c. over “self sustaining” as a country. [/quote]

I don’t think that would qualify as ‘self-sustaining’ now would it?

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
If it gets too bad then I will just do what I have to do.[/quote]

Probably your best option.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours goat or greenhouse or …
[/quote]

So…we shouldn’t sell and buy stuff from our neighbors?

[quote]apbt55 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Awhile ago before bed I started thinking how it would be advantageous to have a large greenhouse farm outside of every major city to supply fresh produce year-round. Have composting set-up, solar/wind energy supply systems. I think it would be cool, although I’m not sure how feasible it is.[/quote]

It isn’t, and moreover there is no need.
[/quote]

So what kind of area do you live in, you have ll the food you need, do y ou know where food comes from?

The places listed are the major suppliers for most of the U.S. in the winter, yeah short season stock will be back by mid to end of summer, but for people already tight on money this is going to be an issue.
unless they don’t eat produce or wheat products.

MattyG35 , has a good idea, and you have to be a prick. What is so bad about being as self sufficient as you can, as a person or a society.

we don’t need to grow things, don’t need to make things. Wow sounds like plan Zeb, great logic.[/quote]

You and some of the others around here have a bunker type mentality. If you think for even one second that there is going to be a shortage of food in the US then you are beyond help. There is not one shred of good evidence which would lead anyone outside of yoru “bunker group” to think that you won’t be able to purchase food.

My gosh you are not a smart person.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

I believe there were a few wars, famines, death camps, &c. over “self sustaining” as a country. [/quote]

I don’t think that would qualify as ‘self-sustaining’ now would it?[/quote]

Self-sustaining without relying on anyone else (individual) rarely works and without relying on anyone else (country) it usually leads to starvation. If we didn’t have options to buy grain from somewhere else during the dust bowl, I’m sure more people would have died.

I’m not advocating complete isolation, but grow/make/harvest what you can, sell the excess, and import what you can’t produce. Don’t just simply import/export for the sake of trade or leveraging on someone.

Matty - you might like looking into how interlinked agricultural policy and international policy is in the US, especially when it comes to foreign aid (look around 1970).

ZEB - I agree there is not a shortage of food, but there are problems with the global and local distribution of food. There is an increasing number of people in the US who do not have access to enough food (based on reports from food banks). One of the emphasis’s of community gardens is to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to people who otherwise do not have access to them. That is part of the grow local movement.

That said, if there was a big grow local movement in the US there would be parts of other places economies tanking at the same time, some within the US, some outside.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
I’m not advocating complete isolation, but grow/make/harvest what you can, sell the excess, and import what you can’t produce. Don’t just simply import/export for the sake of trade or leveraging on someone.[/quote]

Uh, so we should just ignore diminishing marginal utility and competitive advantage?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
I’m not advocating complete isolation, but grow/make/harvest what you can, sell the excess, and import what you can’t produce. Don’t just simply import/export for the sake of trade or leveraging on someone.[/quote]

Comparative advantage.

That is all.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

Comparative advantage.

That is all.

[/quote]

You mean I shouldn’t be forced to buy my neighbors poorly made product for $ 20 when I can buy a well made product for $ 10 from some one that lives on the other side of an arbitrary border?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

Uh, so we should just ignore diminishing marginal utility and competitive advantage?[/quote]

Can you explain that in more depth please?

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

Comparative advantage.

That is all.

[/quote]

You mean I shouldn’t be forced to buy my neighbors poorly made product for $ 20 when I can buy a well made product for $ 10 from some one that lives on the other side of an arbitrary border?[/quote]

Of course you should.

America first.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

ZEB - I agree there is not a shortage of food, but there are problems with the global and local distribution of food. There is an increasing number of people in the US who do not have access to enough food (based on reports from food banks).[/quote]

Oh man, thanks for the laugh. In the US about 68% of all people are overweight and almost half of them are morbidly obese! There is absolutely no shortage of food and there will not be. This is just more of the same from the bunker set.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

ZEB - I agree there is not a shortage of food, but there are problems with the global and local distribution of food. There is an increasing number of people in the US who do not have access to enough food (based on reports from food banks).[/quote]

Oh man, thanks for the laugh. In the US about 68% of all people are overweight and almost half of them are morbidly obese! There is absolutely no shortage of food and there will not be. This is just more of the same from the bunker set.
[/quote]

This depends on what you consider food. IMO, just because you can eat it doesn’t mean it’s food, ie fast food, chocolate bars, potato chips, etc.
Nutritious food or whole foods are what I consider food.
I doubt those people got fat on too much fruits and vegetables.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[/quote]

I do not quite understand the humor. I agree there is not a shortage of food in total, but there are access problems. Obesity is partly due to diet and when communities do not have access to fruit and vegetables but have access to sugary and starchy foods, you can have obesity while at the same time as access issues (lack of access) to healthier foods.

So perhaps I should say there is not a caloric shortage but for some limited access to nutritious foods.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[/quote]

This depends on what you consider food. IMO, just because you can eat it doesn’t mean it’s food, ie fast food, chocolate bars, potato chips, etc.
Nutritious food or whole foods are what I consider food.
I doubt those people got fat on too much fruits and vegetables.[/quote]

So those people are going to panic if we can’t get enough apples for example? They didn’t eat them when they were available and won’t miss them if they’re not available. But of course they will be as there is no shortage of any food.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[/quote]

I do not quite understand the humor. I agree there is not a shortage of food in total, but there are access problems. Obesity is partly due to diet and when communities do not have access to fruit and vegetables but have access to sugary and starchy foods, you can have obesity while at the same time as access issues (lack of access) to healthier foods.

So perhaps I should say there is not a caloric shortage but for some limited access to nutritious foods.[/quote]

And it doesn’t matter because they don’t want that food anyway. People’s eating habits in the US are atrocious. We have become a nation of fast food and soda junkies. Poor nutritional habits are not about availability. It’s about knowledge and then the discipline to carry forth on that knowledge.

There is no point to this thread it needs to die.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

Uh, so we should just ignore diminishing marginal utility and competitive advantage?[/quote]

Can you explain that in more depth please?[/quote]

Make the shit you are best at and buy the rest.

Everything else is a waste of money, otherwise you could take your argument all the way and grow your own food, carve your own furniture and sow your own clothes.