T Nation

Fructose Worse Than Glucose?

Generally I have thought fructose would be healthier than refined sugar (glucose). But then I came across this study online about fructose and glucose:

Study Shows More Insulin Resistance With Fructose-Sweetened Beverages

Table sugar has 50/50 fructose/glucose
high-fructose corn syrup is 55/45

and squeezed juice has mainly fructose.

My orange juice has 9.6g fructose /100g, and my Coca cola has 10.6g glucose / 100g.

"…most of the added fat in the fructose group occurred in the belly, while most of the fat gained by the glucose group was subcutaneous (under the skin).

Belly fat, but not subcutaneous fat, has been linked to an increased risk for heart disease and diabetes."

Could one debate ,insulin-resistance wise, it is worse to drink this orange juice than Cocacola? (not taking account any vitamins or fibers, just sugar content)

Easy solution

drink water

or

pick your poison.

Stop worrying which is “the best” or “the worst”.

It’s sugar, ffs.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Easy solution

drink water

or

pick your poison.

Stop worrying which is “the best” or “the worst”.

It’s sugar, ffs.[/quote]

It’s called curiosity and knowledge - not worry.

[quote]NikH wrote:
Could one debate ,insulin-resistance wise, it is worse to drink this orange juice than Cocacola? (not taking account any vitamins or fibers, just sugar content)[/quote]

Depends. Are you planning on consuming enough orange juice for the fructose content to equal 25% of your daily caloric consumption?

^^ Exactly.

Let’s assume ~500 kcals worth of daily OJ intake in this study.

But we already know that fructose metabolism can get “backed up” and to avoid eating say, 4-6 fruit servings at any one time.