T Nation

Fructose in Surge

Alright, so Root Beer and Vanilla flavors had fructose added.

From what I understand, Fructose postpones glycolysis in the liver and may spare serum glucose from the liver and, as a result, allow for more to be transported to the skeletal muscle.

Am I understanding this correctly?
If so, why isn't there some fructose in the other flavors of Surge?
Is there a place for small amounts of Fructose in the PWO window?

Yeah,\

I also noticed that Chocolate Surge has 'corn syrub solids' !!! Isn't that a bit too close to HFC for comfort? Am I missing something here about all the new formulations of Surge? Biotest?

I have been an avid purchaser/supporter of Biotest for a long time now.....this is the first time I seen inferior ingredients in Biotest products.

TKC

I say, "fuck it," and consume any liquid carb you like after: fruit juice, Gatorade drink or powder in water, or Kool-aid.

Me, I'm sticking with skim milk powder and OJ after or fat-free chocolate milk post-workout and whey powder with Gatorade mid-workout. I so don't care what kind of sugar is in any of these. :slight_smile:

(Sigh) Life is so easy when I simplify it. :slight_smile:

There's less than a gram of corn syrup solids, as part of the creamer, per serving of Surge Recovery Chocolate. The amount of fructose contributed by this is insignificant PWO.

There was only about a gram of fructose in the outdated Vanilla and Rootbeer Surge Recovery formulas as part of their flavoring profiles. In other words, it wasn't included for any physiological effect.

Thanks Brian.

And guys, I'm not a food scientist-technologist; I have taken two courses on the topic though. However, some sports-nutrition and food products sometimes need to contain sparse amounts of not-so-great ingredients to prevent clumping, unwanted textures, or a product that falls apart. They act as emulsifiers and texturizers.

Imagine a whole-grain bread without SMALL amounts of brown sugar, molasses, honey, or oil? The thing falls apart. I've tasted some brands that are made only from sprouts and that contain no texturizers; they're gross!

Pick a good food-science book.

I agree with leather face here

that's just bad baking...they add those things as shortcuts so they can treat it just like white flour. whole grains pretty much need to be sourdoughs and given enough time to properly develop they come out just as edible and elastic as any other bread. most commercial bakeries won't produce a proper whole grain bread because it does take more time and know how.

Dude, breads are one example. MANY foods products need these things to not taste, look, and feel like shit.

You do have a point.