T Nation

Frozen Chicken Breasts

Deep in my freeze I have a 3 pound sack of frozen chicken breasts. I was hungry, and it said they were microwaveable. So, I microwaved one. It turned a thick white on the outside. I hate to say this, but it almost looked like it was coated in jizz. It was pretty hot, I think I cooked it fro about 5 minutes, with a short stop between. Is this normal for chicken breasts to do, and is it ok just to nuke a frozen chicken breast? I coated it in franks red hot and montreal steak seasoning, but I may still get food poisining and die before morning.

I should really stick to beef.

Barney, I usually unthaw mine and cook them on the Foreman grill. You do have one of those, don’t you?

Yup its fine and normal. That was just the juices and blood cooking it would drip off on say a grill etc no biggie hell you saved a gram of protein maybe.

Yes you can nuke them. One easy thing. cook that whole damn bag in the oven the package them back up in ziplock and freeze then all you have to do is reheat a second and your good to go.

thats fine for a moment there i thought you were going to ask if eating food that has been frozen was ok.
frozen chicken microwaved tastes disgusting defrost it then wrap it in alfoil then oven it sweet

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Barney, I usually unthaw mine and cook them on the Foreman grill. You do have one of those, don’t you?

[/quote]

agree I unthaw it in the microwave but then I cook it on the grill or stovetop. Cooking it in the microwave covers it in all this white stuff.

Cook the whole bag by laying the peices out on cookie sheets and putting them in the oven. Then freeze them in ziplock bags. When needed you can heat slowly in the microwave. That way they don’t dry out or get “jizzy”. Plus you can add spices and flavors as they cook. Make a rack of Italian herb, a rack of BBQ, etc. I do the same with turkey burgers too.

Like other said cook them on a tray, in the oven. Recently I started getting Cajun seasoning, the liquid kind used for injecting into meats, and I pour the mixture on the bottom of the pain, it makes for very moist and flavorful breasts.

Ahahahahahaha!

Sorry. Man, who the hell wants to eat microwaved chicken breasts?

Yum yum!

[quote]vroom wrote:
Ahahahahahaha!

Sorry. Man, who the hell wants to eat microwaved chicken breasts?

Yum yum![/quote]

screw you I do had one today in a hurry just threw it in the micro with a tom of veggies the veggies keep it moist and from turning to rubber.

Not all meals can be gourmet :slight_smile:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Barney, I usually unthaw mine and cook them on the Foreman grill. You do have one of those, don’t you?

[/quote]

Dude’s right, Foreman grill is the way to go after they’ve been thawed it he fridge for the day. Cook up 4 at a time and have enough for 2 days.

[quote]Phill wrote:
vroom wrote:
Ahahahahahaha!

Sorry. Man, who the hell wants to eat microwaved chicken breasts?

Yum yum!

screw you I do had one today in a hurry just threw it in the micro with a tom of veggies the veggies keep it moist and from turning to rubber.

Not all meals can be gourmet :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I hate chicken breasts. There is no way to gourmet a chicken breast.

Just thinking about it makes me gag.

I can only imagine trail I would leave from the kitchen to the bathroom if I had to nuke one.

That’s why God invented 93/7 ground beef.

I throw mine frozen in the crockpot. Put em in the fridge. Eat one a day.

I like thighs. 88 cents a pound and lotsa fat, but they do have bones.

you can thaw a chicken breast, or any meat for that matter, under cold runnning water. so if you come home from work and forgot to thaw some chicken, and you’ve realized how disgusting it is to nuke a breast, just put the frozen chicken in a bowl under the tap and let cold water run over it.

should thaw enough to cut within 10-15min, will be totally done in 30-40min. if you use warm water it might go faster, but it tends to “cook” the chicken a bit if you go too warm, so keep an eye on it.

and don’t worry about “bacteria”. just be sure to wash your hands before and after handling the chicken, and to wash the sink out. Basically, you can prep the rest of your dinner while it’s thawing. I haven’t used mike to thaw meat in years. It’s gross.

  • I throw mine in the fridge the night before on a plate. Just make sure it can’t drip onto any other food.

It doesnt have to be COMPLETELY defrosted depending on what you are going to do with it. I end up chopping alot of mine up for stir fries… where being cold helps a little.

What looked like jizz oozzing from of the breast (how bizaar that imagery) was what they inject the chicken breasts with.

Typically its like sodium caseinate. One of the the reasons some people avoid them when watching salt is this. Its not particularly bads for you. There are strict guidelines about how much you can inject into the meat though. Lots of pseudo science as to why its there, ranging from it being a good preservative to a good texturiser.

I would suggest its to make the chicken bigger and worth more, pound for pound, so to speak, this adding value to yield.

I toss mine on the Foreman while they’re still frozen. I get the exact same result frozen as thawed.

I probably burn through 10 lbs of chicken breast a week.

…God I love steak.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Deep in my freeze I have a 3 pound sack of frozen chicken breasts. I was hungry, and it said they were microwaveable. So, I microwaved one. It turned a thick white on the outside. I hate to say this, but it almost looked like it was coated in jizz. It was pretty hot, I think I cooked it fro about 5 minutes, with a short stop between. Is this normal for chicken breasts to do, and is it ok just to nuke a frozen chicken breast? I coated it in franks red hot and montreal steak seasoning, but I may still get food poisining and die before morning.

I should really stick to beef.[/quote]

Learn to cook. Throwing a frozen chicken breast in a microwave for 5 minutes is not cooking. Cooking is a skill that will provide huge dividends over time. Feeding yourself good food is satisfying in and of itself. Cooking can also be a sure fire route into a woman’s pants.

A pan of simmering water/chicken stock and one of your frozen chicken breasts, would take hardly more time than your microwave, and would taste much better.

Buy this book, start reading at chapter 1 and learn about what happens when you apply heat to edible things. Amazing.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
Deep in my freeze I have a 3 pound sack of frozen chicken breasts. I was hungry, and it said they were microwaveable. So, I microwaved one. It turned a thick white on the outside. I hate to say this, but it almost looked like it was coated in jizz. It was pretty hot, I think I cooked it fro about 5 minutes, with a short stop between. Is this normal for chicken breasts to do, and is it ok just to nuke a frozen chicken breast? I coated it in franks red hot and montreal steak seasoning, but I may still get food poisining and die before morning.

I should really stick to beef.

Learn to cook. Throwing a frozen chicken breast in a microwave for 5 minutes is not cooking. Cooking is a skill that will provide huge dividends over time. Feeding yourself good food is satisfying in and of itself. Cooking can also be a sure fire route into a woman’s pants.

A pan of simmering water/chicken stock and one of your frozen chicken breasts, would take hardly more time than your microwave, and would taste much better.

Buy this book, start reading at chapter 1 and learn about what happens when you apply heat to edible things. Amazing.

[/quote]
hmm. The hamburger helper box has instructions. What more do I need?

And I really doubt that cooking will help me with women.

You can also broil them too. I usually cook about 7 lbs for the whole entire week on a few cookie sheets. Only takes about 15 minutes, but it really depends on how thick they are.