Front vs. Back Squat

ATG since both should be of a similar style to make any real sense
(3RM)
front:65kg (150lbs?)
back:90kg (200lbs?)

for comparative purposes my PL style squat best is 100 (220?) for 2

If you’re interested I weigh a buck thirty five or thereabouts (60kg/135lbs)

[quote]Hanley wrote:
90kg/200lbs x 5 atg front squat
115kg/260lbs x 5 atg back squat

All raw and at 88kg bw.[/quote]

I should add that belted up I’ve PL squatted 165kg for 2 and should be good for 175 on saturday.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Hanley wrote:

All raw and at 88kg bw.

I should add that belted up I’ve PL squatted 165kg for 2 and should be good for 175 on saturday.[/quote]

Wow, is the difference between a raw ATG back squat and a belted PL squat really that big for most people?

[quote]blooey wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Hanley wrote:

All raw and at 88kg bw.

I should add that belted up I’ve PL squatted 165kg for 2 and should be good for 175 on saturday.

Wow, is the difference between a raw ATG back squat and a belted PL squat really that big for most people?[/quote]

I don’t think so. My ATK squat is 405 right now. My belted PL squat is 445. My front squat is 260 either way.

In fairness the atg O-squats were about 8-9 weeks ago and i’ve been hammering my PL squats since then so I dunno maybe the figure appears a bit skewed.

I think I’d be good for about a 140kg/315lbs atg raw back squat now.

much of my lifting “career” i avoided front squats like the plauge, but as german said earlier, since a horrible 3 disc rupture about 3 years ago, i have fallen in love with the front squat.

back squat belt only but on heels -540lbs

front squat but on heels belt only -365lbs

front squat- 275x1
full back squat- 365x2
parallel box squat in breifs- 455
bodyweight- 175

[quote]Miserere wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
185 x 5 oly style atg front squat
245 x 5 oly style atg back squat
body weight 155

Nice numbers, mate. I should reach 185x5 FS in 5-6 weeks. Of course, I’m heavier than you, so more power to ya. :-)[/quote]

Thanks a lot. I notice you’re from mass…where do you train? I’ve been training at Excel in Waltham. It’s been advertised a little bit here on T-Nation. It’s a 45 minute drive for me, but well worth it. You should check it out.

back= 275 six times
i’m not sure about the front squat i haven’t done it in forever

bw=195

Front - 315x1 ATG oly, 275x3x3 ATG oly. I’ve never tried to go any bigger than that. My wrists start to bother me.
Back - Recently 435x2, 3" below parallel off a box.

I can get 405x3 any day on back squats at a body weight of 225.

-folly

[quote]bigblue244 wrote:
Miserere wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
185 x 5 oly style atg front squat
245 x 5 oly style atg back squat
body weight 155

Nice numbers, mate. I should reach 185x5 FS in 5-6 weeks. Of course, I’m heavier than you, so more power to ya. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot. I notice you’re from mass…where do you train? I’ve been training at Excel in Waltham. It’s been advertised a little bit here on T-Nation. It’s a 45 minute drive for me, but well worth it. You should check it out.[/quote]

I also recommend PPC east. 40 bucks a month, and at least when I go it’s usually nearly empty, except for the people using the track. (which is especially great in a 20k square foot facility with a high ceiling). Got all the good stuff too. I think they’re only doing the monthly membership till the end of august though.

[quote]gettinbigger wrote:
Front SQ’s are great for increasing your conventional deadlift. Same thing with Zercher (sp?) SQ’s. I don’t do them as much as I should, but front SQ’s rock!

[/quote]

Why would front squats help your deadlift?

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
gettinbigger wrote:
Front SQ’s are great for increasing your conventional deadlift. Same thing with Zercher (sp?) SQ’s. I don’t do them as much as I should, but front SQ’s rock!

Why would front squats help your deadlift?[/quote]

Why don’t you email Brad Gillingham and ask him?

Buy his DVD, and you will get an idea.

back squat- 735
front squat - only done for high reps- 405x10
@280lbs

meat

Neither of these are in my current routine for max efforts but a month ago I hit a PR 1RM of 140kg for ATG Back Squat. I didn’t attempt a PR for Front Squat but I was doing low reps and at a guess my 1RM is about 110kg.

BW is 94kg/207lb so these aren’t outstanding numbers by any means.

As for front squats improving deadlifts, CT included bottom position front squats in his “deadlift for stubby guys” article he wrote last year. I did this program and they definitely helped my deadlift.

Just started front squats a few months ago.
front 315x5 atg raw
back 510 parallel raw
bw of 200 lbs

[quote]GermanPower wrote:
helga wrote:
I dont squat, it is bad for your back and knees. I prefer to do bicep curls, I can do the 35’s now!

bullshit

[/quote]

Who says the Germans don’t have a sense of humour!

Front squats have always felt excessively awkward to load up on and hurt my back more than back squats. If you aren’t a powerlifter and train for something besides lifting it is not entirely necessary to do both.

For percentages for front squat vs. back squat (raw of course) I would estimate that around 80 % is about right.

front squat 180 kg
back squat 220x2 (don’t have a single max right now)

this is at a ratio of 81%

I just checked and my 5 rm’s for tese lifts is also at the same 81 percent mark.

150x5
185x5

[quote]knobbers wrote:
For percentages for front squat vs. back squat (raw of course) I would estimate that around 80 % is about right.

front squat 180 kg
back squat 220x2 (don’t have a single max right now)

this is at a ratio of 81%

I just checked and my 5 rm’s for tese lifts is also at the same 81 percent mark.

150x5
185x5[/quote]

Hey knobbers, it seems that the only threads you post on here are the snatches and front squats! ahha