T Nation

Front Squatting!

Who here front squats and how long did I take you to hit 225 lbs ? What can you squat now ? Also, is it normal that I am huffing and puffing like a locomotive after a fairly heavy set (for me) ? I mean, don’t get me wrong here, I breathe harder when doing heavy rows or weighted dips but not like squatting.

Yes, I remember starting front squats several years ago. Before that, I had only back squatted. I had to start with 135 when I first started front squatting, took me a few weeks to hit 225. Now I can do 315. The anterior loading forces the abs to really stabilize you during front squats. It took some time to get used to having the weight on my shoulders too. Your strength will sky-rocket on these for about a month. Enjoy!

The first two questions are very relative to the individual and wont mean diddly to you. Me, for the first not long for the second not sure havent maxed in a bit id say Oh over 405.

LOL yes its very normal to be huffing and puffing Front squatting is a very tough exercise and uses a lot more musculature than say the rows etc you spoke about. same thing with doing DL’s etc. If they dont get you huffing and puffing as well then you arent bringing the intensity needed.

Great you front squatting keep it up its a great tool to have in the tool box,

Phill

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
Who here front squats and how long did I take you to hit 225 lbs ? What can you squat now ? Also, is it normal that I am huffing and puffing like a locomotive after a fairly heavy set (for me) ? I mean, don’t get me wrong here, I breathe harder when doing heavy rows or weighted dips but not like squatting. [/quote]

When I was Bobsledding, front squats were a staple for my training. It was actually part of the strength testing protocol.

It took me some time to get comfortable wth the ‘Olympic Style’ hand postiton.

I find that it is not an exercise that you want to pound out multiple reps with…I stick to 6 and under.

I did a 455lb singe in a test camp and haven’t really done much singles since.

Here is a pic coming out of a 200 kilo front squat at a charity event.