Front Squats- Whats The Deal.

It seems like here in the last six months or so there has been a huge explosion of people front squating, do zercher sqauts and doing overhead squats. I know that i may be ignorant, but why does it seem like back squating has gone out of favor and everyone has had an exodus to front squats?

When will there be a revolution amongst deadlifters?

They are awesome. I’ve always used them in conjunction with other types of squats. Great for your quads!

i do all of um.
front squats hit my quads better than back squats it seems

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
When will there be a revolution amongst deadlifters?[/quote]

No worries, alot of people do deadlifts in the front.

hmm. I have toyed around with the hack squat machine at the gym. I just don’t have any motivation to train my legs all that much. I love training everything else, but I don’t ever really feel motivated to train my legs. I always wear pants.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
hmm. I have toyed around with the hack squat machine at the gym. I just don’t have any motivation to train my legs all that much. I love training everything else, but I don’t ever really feel motivated to train my legs. I always wear pants.[/quote]

I really hope you’re being sarcastic, but I fear not…

Fife, your gonna need that leg stability when you become a cop-running after people, staying on your feet while fighting, kickin in doors etc.

I still deadlift 400. But deadlifting isn’t exactly all legs either. I am concerned though that time and nutrients spent on training my legs are detracting from all the other portions of my body that suck.

My arms seem small to me at 17 inches, and I feel like my shoulders should be a lot wider. Yet my legs seem satisfying to me, even though they are only 26 inches. Maybe if I started with some hamstring focused training, something in the nature of deadlift, but not exactly, that way I felt like i was doing the whole body some good.

Traonong legs will benefit your whole body, especially if you squat, front or back. I think most people have been on the fronts to hit their quads without having to load up the bar as much. Less weight is easier on the back, anyway.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
hmm. I have toyed around with the hack squat machine at the gym. I just don’t have any motivation to train my legs all that much. I love training everything else, but I don’t ever really feel motivated to train my legs. I always wear pants.[/quote]

I train my upperbody so I don’t go crazy waiting for my legs to recover. My primary squat day is the high point of my training week.

Do more olympic variations and dynamic work if you’re having trouble motivating for legs. That stuff is both fun and invigorating.

[quote]etaco wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
hmm. I have toyed around with the hack squat machine at the gym. I just don’t have any motivation to train my legs all that much. I love training everything else, but I don’t ever really feel motivated to train my legs. I always wear pants.

I train my upperbody so I don’t go crazy waiting for my legs to recover. My primary squat day is the high point of my training week.

Do more olympic variations and dynamic work if you’re having trouble motivating for legs. That stuff is both fun and invigorating.[/quote]

Me too, lower body days are my favourite days. Consequently my upper body lags.

You should just nip that in the bud, nip it, nip it.

I love front squats as they hit my quads more. My legs lag yet my butt does not so it works better for me :slight_smile:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

No worries, alot of people do deadlifts in the front.[/quote]

lol i cant imagine a deadlift to the back…

[quote]cyberflex11 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

No worries, alot of people do deadlifts in the front.

lol i cant imagine a deadlift to the back…[/quote]

You mean a hack squat?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
It seems like here in the last six months or so there has been a huge explosion of people front squating, do zercher sqauts and doing overhead squats. I know that i may be ignorant, but why does it seem like back squating has gone out of favor and everyone has had an exodus to front squats?

I like back squats, but for me, doing back squats I don’t improve much. My weight goes up a lot faster if I do ME front squats and then retest my back squat max after a few weeks.

I’ll do back squats one day and deadlifts another for a while, then I will change up to front squats with goodmornings. Invariably, the weight in the squat and deadlift go up. It’s a matter of training the muscles that make the movement happen.

Each exercise has its own benefits. You should do them all, in cycles.

-folly

It’s simple-they are a much safer exercise, and you can’t really do them wrong. You don’t really need to pick a few and cycle them…Mike Boyle uses the front squat as his only bilateral lift-but then again he trains athletes so we wouldn’t want to train like that…

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:

you think people couldn’t have huge quads before the squat rack was invented?

clean and squat the damn thing and find out!