Front Squats Rock!

I’m still trying to find a way to rest the bar across my chest with my build.

I’ve been staying light and damn, they’re quite a challenging exercise.

does anyone use the crossed armed technique or just rest it like a clean?

I like to do them with crossed arms when I go heavy.

If I lean forward even the smallest amount in the clean position my wrists feel like their gonna snap or my pinkies slide off the bar, so I save this for the lighter sets.

Your pinkies don’t need to be on the bar for the clean grip version. I use 3 fingers each hand to keep the bar in place, but some people even use 2.

And Front Squats are great. I’ve been doing them for a while and they never fail to put me on my ass and make me hobble around for 3-5 days afterward.

They do rock, I am still trying to get the weight up though. 80 kg 4x6 is pretty tough. I could pump out some much heavier back squats w/ perhaps questionable form, but with fronts you can’t really get away with it.

Cheers

Yeah I only recently got to like them after years of lifting. I like them more with my heels elevated. 225 x 8 is my record.

I get a sore lower back with squats and a sore mid back with fronts.

I love front squats!!! Only doing 180 for 5 very hard reps.

How do your back squat compare to your front squat?

[quote]Mondy wrote:
How do your back squat compare to your front squat?[/quote]

My FS is ~90% of my BS, but I train as an oly lifter :stuck_out_tongue:

Front squats should be prescribed to all desk jockeys, they have improved my posture immensely. As an added bonus they are great for the abs as well.

FS always kill my middle back. Anyone know why?
I’ve hit 225 for 5, which isn’t much i guess but i was happy about it :slight_smile:
Then i tried 230 and failed miserably, lol.

The only problem I am starting to have is toward the end of my last heavy set the damn bar starts pushing my arms down. It tskes all Ive got to not let it slip. anyone else have this problem?

[quote]gambit10 wrote:
The only problem I am starting to have is toward the end of my last heavy set the damn bar starts pushing my arms down. It tskes all Ive got to not let it slip. anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

That’s why they are so hard, you need to be able to really control everything. Back in the day I lifted in pounds, now I am in Taiwan where weights are in kg. Yesterday, I added 10kg (thinking it was 10 pounds) to a set and it about damn near killed me. Gotta keep those arms up!

[quote]blazindave wrote:
FS always kill my middle back. Anyone know why?
I’ve hit 225 for 5, which isn’t much i guess but i was happy about it :slight_smile:
Then i tried 230 and failed miserably, lol.[/quote]

Yes, your rhomboids are a fast twitch muscle. Sets over 5 or long time under tension will fatigue them quickly. FS are best done for less reps.