T Nation

Front Squats Only

So I haven’t done a regular backsquat in about 4 months now, and I’ve been doing front squats only. Since I started front squats my legs went from 21 to 23", and I can actually see a big difference. Is this a good path to continue on, or am I going to see any imbalances?

Please note I’m not into powerlifting and don’t really care about 1 rep maxes. But I’m sure that if my FS keeps increasing, my back squat max won’t be that far off.

I have seen visual differences in the way my abs look as well as quad size, especially the vastus medialis.

I also squat 3x a week.

Well front squats are great and work!! Whats the worry??

Why not simply throw back squats in every few weeks for a day or two?? It will be a varied stimulus more hip and glute and maybe higher load.
Phill

I’d say be sure to be doing some ham/glute work as well such as RDLs.

When you hit a plateau you may want to switch to back squats for a change, but I wouldn’t be worried about imbalances.

Vince Gironda (spelling?) allegedly recommended only front squats because back squats could make your midsection too bulky.

You wont be missing anything by doing front squat only…

Also I have a personal belief that front squats are easier on the spine and disks over the long term…

I like working only with front squats because when I test my back squat down the line it’s way better.

I think you might be missing some high rep squat advantages if you only do front squats. I find it hard to hold a front squat for more than 6 reps. But you can get higher reps from lunges and other exercises. So go for it.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
I like working only with front squats because when I test my back squat down the line it’s way better.

I think you might be missing some high rep squat advantages if you only do front squats. I find it hard to hold a front squat for more than 6 reps. But you can get higher reps from lunges and other exercises. So go for it.[/quote]

You’re right, i performed FS’s for two months, once every 5 days and i never got used to the pain.

After some time(years) of hating back squats i thought i’d give front squats a try… Because i’m 6ft/1 i found it easier in a way. Anyways, i quit doing back squats for 2 months and now i returned to back squats and let me tell you, i’ve improved so much…

1)Back squats now feel so easy and in comparison to front squats it feels like having sex! That’s mainly because of the extreme pain on the shoulders used by FS, but also because back squats are generally easier.

2)My strength increased alot, which i think partly has to do with the fact that i realised how back squats are cool at the end of the day, having tried the most brutal exercise ever, FS’s!So when i got back to them, it seemed a piece of cake.

I think anyone who’s stuck in back squats should substitute them with front squats for a while. However i don’t think there’s a reason to stop performing back squats, since you can use heavier loads and they hit glutes and lower back so you get more bang for the buck. I personally front squat around 70% of the weight i back squat.