T Nation

Front Squats... Help

Hey everyone. I’m not trying to get a sob story going on in here or attract attention, but I need some helping with squats. The following paragraph is just some quick background,you don’t have to read it obviously; but it explains my concerns then the next one directly addresses issue(s).

Basically, ever since I started lifting, I have always been very afraid of squats and deadlifts because my grandpa was an olympic weightlifter that did very respectable weights and he messed himself up on a deadlift. Surgeries and surgeries later, the poor guy was still walking around on a cane with lots of pain. The surgeries did nothing for him, his spine got damaged and he had to always be sitting down, in a wheelchair, or struggling to stand up on the cane. This affected his whole family, as he was a provider(worked as a mechanic) and he could never live a normal life again. My mother always talked about this to me and it obviously made me scared because as a child I always saw him struggling before he passed away bless his soul.

Anyways, I have been switching between ATG High Bar & PL Low Bar style squats; I found out yesterday that I can do at least 370pounds powerlifter style, but just woke up with a lot of pain on my vertebrae. I know my form wasn’t bad on them because I learned from people that trained at a top PL gym around here; I also feel it when I am doing High Bar with much lower weight,but nowhere near as bad as when I perform PL style.(wide stance,sit back,low bar,etc)

I don’t want to risk my career as a nurse anesthetist, risk injuring myself, or living a normal life because of this.

I feel like the best and safest thing for me to do would be to switch to FRONT SQUATS. From what I have read/hear, they are much safer for the spine and lower back(and people swear it gives better quad development).

But here’s the next damn problem… I have a torn bicep tendon(sigh) and I have horrific pain for 2-3 days holding the bar in that position no matter what weight it is or anything.

Q: How can I do front squats without aggravating my proximal bicep tendon? (Located in the top shoulder area). Does anybody have a suggestion as to how it would not put me in the position to have pain there? I can even bench press 300 pounds without pain there,or overhead press, but just holding the front squat bar position really aggravates it when I cross my arms or bend my wrists in clean position.

Is there an alternative???

Suggestions are very much appreciated,thanks so much

Use straps–look up CT’s videos in which he has an example of how to use straps for Front squats if you cant hold the clean position because of wrist problems–if that doesn’t work, I’d just make leg work based around hack squat/leg press/lunges/SLDL

I will look for the video, thank you very much

This looks like a very good idea, I just watched it. I will be trying this tomorrow and am very excited!!!

I hope it doesn’t hurt my bicep tendon just keeping that bar digging into the shoulders though. We will see

What are you training for?

Right now, only strength. I want to have 315 bench/405 squat before I jump into straight bodybuilding

5x5 will fix your problem.

[quote]The Rattler wrote:
5x5 will fix your problem.[/quote]

LOL x 2

I am doing 5x5.

srs

lawl

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

my grandpa was an olympic weightlifter that did very respectable weights and he messed himself up on a deadlift. Surgeries and surgeries later, the poor guy was still walking around on a cane with lots of pain. The surgeries did nothing for him, his spine got damaged and he had to always be sitting down, in a wheelchair, or struggling to stand up on the cane. This affected his whole family, as he was a provider(worked as a mechanic) and he could never live a normal life again. My mother always talked about this to me and it obviously made me scared because as a child I always saw him struggling before he passed away bless his soul.

I don’t want to risk my career as a nurse anesthetist, risk injuring myself, or living a normal life because of this.
[/quote]

LOL at grandpa permanently ending up in a wheelchair from deadlifting.

LOL at deadlifting ruining grandpa and nuclear family’s life forever.

LOL at you not wanting to “risk [your] career” by squatting/deadlifting.

LOL at squatting/deadlifting stopping you from living a normal life.

ridiculous trolling, this place really has gone to shit in the last 6 weeks especially.

I wrap one finger around the bar when front squating and thats simply mental.

You could easily front squat without touching the bar, or even just put your thumbs on the bar.

5x5x5. It’s 5 times better.

So from all the posts so far it looks like you are having trouble with wrist flexibility when in your original post you were looking for a way around putting a loaded barbell directly onto an injury which honestly isn’t the best idea. If you’re going to get surgery or wait for it to heal there are other options you can go for.

But since your reason for avoiding back squat is a fear of injury, you can either stick to your decision or just work to become solid at back squatting regardless of adding weight until your comfortable enough with the lift to load it up.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

5x5x5. It’s 5 times better.[/quote]

LOLOLOLOLOL

If you’re having troubles because the bar is digging into your shoulders, think about racking the bar across your clavicles instead. You don’t need to actively shrug your shoulders up to hold the front squat rack.

If you want people to take your question seriously, ditch the trollface avatar

I tried every way of front squatting today, and it was just far too painful on my bicep tendon…

It’s alright guys, thanks for the help it means a lot.

I ended up just doing a 3x3 on back squats using about 80% or something, so it wasn’t very taxing and my form stayed pretty good. I think I will just not go super hard on the squats, and stick with working in the 80-85% stopping 1-2 reps short of failure and keep the progression slower. It’s better than me getting hurt or whatnot.

…then, one day, a wolf really did appear from the forest and gobbled up the shepherd boy and his entire flock…

Ahh come on, cut the kid some slack. I think he knows he’s on thin ice, and he is trying to improve his tone.

[quote]Cuso wrote:
Ahh come on, cut the kid some slack. I think he knows he’s on thin ice, and he is trying to improve his tone.[/quote]

Guy is a known troll. You reap what you sow. srs

srs tho do 5x5 (srs)

lawl

srs

5x5 srs