Front Squats for Powerlifting

I use the stingray and it makes front squats much sweeter to do. But i feel that for me front squats are great, just don’t do fs and reg. squaats the same day.

Not to take this ridiculously off topic, but:

Why is it after all ME videos on here I always see the lifters walk away like they didnt just pull 800 lbs? After a set of heavy squats or deads I walk a little wobbly for a minute or two. Needless to say, none of my lifts are anywhere close to 800 lbs.

[quote]Newfie wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:
Newfie wrote:
Lunch Box786 wrote:
Brad gillingham

i was going to mention gillingham but the original poster was wondering about their carryover to wide-stance squats & sumo deads…but they certainly help brad g. he front squats 3x a week during the offseason & once/week during his competition training. 800+ deads in competition what, 43 times now? crazy strong dude. front squats certainly work for him.

He pulls conventional I take it?

yes, all of his 800 plus lb deads have been conventional. here’s one…

http://www.irongame.com/videos/BradGillingham.2004,July10-11th,USAPLMensNationals,BatonRouge,LA-380kg-837lbDL@SHW.mpg [/quote]

Damn, that’s impressive.

[quote]ExNole wrote:
Damn, that’s impressive.[/quote]

Double overhand no less.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Not to take this ridiculously off topic, but:

Why is it after all ME videos on here I always see the lifters walk away like they didnt just pull 800 lbs? After a set of heavy squats or deads I walk a little wobbly for a minute or two. Needless to say, none of my lifts are anywhere close to 800 lbs.[/quote]

Hmmm, I’m never really wobbly after a heavy single or double. If I were doing a set of 20 rep squats, I’d imagine it’d be different. Sometimes, before and after an attempt, my speech will be weird because of how jacked up my nervous system is. I’ll stutter and stumble over words and feel a bit jittery, but never really wobbly.

-MAtt

Jason Beck does them as an assistance lift he did 766 sumo in the 220lb class IPF.

I stuck at these for quite awhile and the preliminary evidence points toward them being a good tool to:

1. Help me remain more upright in back squats and improve my technique so that I use my legs more.

And

1. Also increase my deadlift for whatever reason.

The drop off in weight for me was quite substantial, but I think that the movement is probably the hardest thing that you can do in a gym.

I also took the advice of someone and keep the bar against my throat while doing these.

I am going to stick with these and heavy step ups as some kick ass assistence exercises and see where I go with it.