T Nation

Front Squats for Powerlifting?

I used to front squat a lot when I was olympic weightlifting, but for the past few years I have really let them go. I was wondering about their effectiveness for powerlifting. Any powerlifters have thoughts on this? Do you use front squats in your training? How do you work them in? Do you find them effective?

Thanks a lot!

It’s used by some powerlifters to assist the deadlift if they have trouble breaking off the floor. You’ll hear people talk about trying to push your feet through the floor to start a deadlift…this is where the extra quad strength helps.

okay thanks!

[quote]KD10powerlifting wrote:
I used to front squat a lot when I was olympic weightlifting, but for the past few years I have really let them go. I was wondering about their effectiveness for powerlifting. Any powerlifters have thoughts on this? Do you use front squats in your training? How do you work them in? Do you find them effective?

Thanks a lot![/quote]

My personal opinion is that people who exclusively perform low bar back squats often have lacking quads, especially at the knee joint. These people would probably reap a lot of benefit from front squats.

If you squat high bar, olympic style, you probably don’t need to front squat as often as you get plenty of quad work in with your back squats.

[quote]BCpowder wrote:

[quote]KD10powerlifting wrote:

Thanks a lot![/quote]

My personal opinion is that people who exclusively perform low bar back squats often have lacking quads, especially at the knee joint. These people would probably reap a lot of benefit from front squats.

If you squat high bar, olympic style, you probably don’t need to front squat as often as you get plenty of quad work in with your back squats.[/quote]

I completely agree. My competition squat is low bar so I have a day dedicated to front squatting and it helps tremendously. I also like it due to the stress it places on my gut, I hate training abs, so heavy front squats help there as well

Yeah I found that they really hit the core which is definitely something I need. This is great! I’m going to start adding more front squats into my training over the next few weeks

i front squat a lot and the more i can front squat the more i can squat. so do them.

If you can do them…do them, but the problem with Front Squats for many is that they’re limited as many lifters have issues with a way heavier weight be that in hand/shoulder positioning or the weight cutting off air and circulation…for me it’s the latter and I have switched to Safety Squat Bars where I pretty much am very upright and that issue isn’t a factor as much.