T Nation

Front Squats & Deads in Same Workout

hey guys I know this has been a subject thats been discussed before but not exactly how i wanted. My question is what do people about doing front squats and deads in the same workout. I now some people dont like back and dead on same day but imnot sure about this. ALso some people say its too much to have in both session and while you try to get one lift up you shouldnt be doing both in same session. Am, I right?

My experience that it’s too much to do both in the same session. I’ve tried it before and my back would cramp up.

In general, I think it’s pretty tough to have front squats and deadlifts in the same session and make consistent progress with both. Either exercises takes a lot out of me.

Hard to say, they never really end up on the same day for me as I do deadlifts on back day. I’d say it’d be easier to do front squats with deads on the same day in comparison to back squats, but maybe still not the best idea.

However, if I were doing a full body routine right now, I’d prolly do just that.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
My experience that it’s too much to do both in the same session. I’ve tried it before and my back would cramp up.

In general, I think it’s pretty tough to have front squats and deadlifts in the same session and make consistent progress with both. Either exercises takes a lot out of me.[/quote]

Agreed. A lot depends on your workout schedule, i.e. frequency, loads, intensity, etc. As a general rule of thumb, though, I tend to recommend not doing them in the same day, unless you’re working on them dynamically (speed, rack pulls.) Again, it depends on what else you’re doing on how much stress you’re putting on your CNS.

I used to do them together. My lower back gets really fried. In my opinion, listen to the body, if the body feels ok, then why not?

I do them on the same day (usually it is back squats and deads), you should be able to build up tolerance to it no problem. Almost always do the squat before your deads. PLers have to do them together in a meet, so I think it is helpful to get used to being slightly fatigued.

I don’t think it’s too much if you structure it right.

Brad Gillingham does both in the same session and he’s a mid 800’s deadlifter.

I would always do the front squats first for triples or fives.

Also, those who accept that their low back can’t handle the workload might consider working on the problem. A resilient lower back is a valuable commodity.

Front squats and deads go together like apple pie and ice cream.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
I do them on the same day (usually it is back squats and deads), you should be able to build up tolerance to it no problem. Almost always do the squat before your deads. PLers have to do them together in a meet, so I think it is helpful to get used to being slightly fatigued.[/quote]

thanks man how many other excersises would you do on that day and what rep scheme would you do for deads and squats if doing them in the same workout?

[quote]crod266 wrote:

thanks man how many other excersises would you do on that day and what rep scheme would you do for deads and squats if doing them in the same workout?[/quote]

You can do whatever you want, although obviously high volume on both of them is rough. I always preferred a little lower volume, higher intensity for deads (like 1 heavy set), although sometimes I will do more volume stuff for deads. Squats respond better to more sets to work on technique.

Anyway, if I did squats and deads (I am not a big front squatter) on the same day then I would usually do 1-3 more exercises after that, working on whatever needs work.

It could be GM’s (tough), pistols, GHR, leg curls, RDL’s, lunges, whatever. If you were only doing it once a week then 2-3 more exercises, if you were doing it more frequently than 0-2 more exercises depending on intensity.

If I was going super heavy on both of them (say practice for a meet) then that might be all I would do on that day.