Front Squats & Deadlifts Enough?

I have been lifting for about 6 months. Due to a degenerative disc, back squats are uncomfortable. I like front squats and dead lifts as they don’t seem to put the same stress on the lower back. Are these 2 exercises adequate for a full leg workout? I have also started a modified sissy squat on the leg press. Any advice?

Front squats and deads should be enough.

Maybe think about adding in some single leg work (lunge or single leg deadlift variations) holding dumbbells.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Front squats and deads should be enough.

Maybe think about adding in some single leg work (lunge or single leg deadlift variations) holding dumbbells. [/quote]

x2

I guess as long as your squatting. Hope your back gets better!

Front squats are good if you have lower back problems.

Deadlifts aren’t.

Unless you’re able to use a Trap Bar. If you can’t use that; then use some dumbbells and put them parallel to your feet.

I agree with some single leg work. That’s what I focused on for 3 months when I wrecked my back for the 5th time.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
then use some dumbbells and put them parallel to your feet.

[/quote]

I’d use two long bars instead. dropping 150lbs of iron on your toes is no joke.

OP, be careful with deads. I don’t know your exact condition, but I’m sure it’s nothing to play around with. using a trap bar will help you keep your back more vertical. From what you posted about squats, that’s probably a good thing.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Front squats are good if you have lower back problems.

Deadlifts aren’t.

[/quote]

If it is not hurting him then it isn’t a problem.

youre not going to adequately work the legs with those two exercises, but if you only were able to pick two exercises, those would not be bad choices

DITTO on the lunges, bulgarian split squats. these do wonders for the leg groups

nothing wrong with adding leg presses as well, glute-ham raises. leg extensions and leg curls as supplements

And what about stiff legged deads? if you can do regular deads, i dont see why these would be a problem

TRY INCORPORATING some single leg work. this may be a great idea for you, who i assume wants big legs

have you tried the manta ray?
i find by lower back feels much better after using in, and for front squats the sting ray works wonders.

check out Advance fitness Inc. for more info.
(sorry if that seemed like a sales pitch i just find squatting so much better when using them. IMO best tools for making squatting feel better.)

Heck yeah thats good enough, front squat dominate. Like the others said, be careful with deads. The trap bar idea is a good one.

You may be able to pull off high bar olympic style back squats, but you need to know how to squat olympic style first.

Thank you for all the comments. I do have access to a trap bar at my regular gym. Deads dont bother me bacause I can lock my lower back in the correct position. Stiff leg dead lift has too much range of motion for L4,L5 disc.