T Nation

Front Squats Before or After DL?

As the title says which one would you recommend doing first, both are heavy 3rm :slight_smile:

Seeing how I don’t care how much I can front squat and just use it as a supplemental exercise, I would do it second.

I do it for assistance as well and do it after.

Do whichever one you want to improve most first.

This is the Powerlifting forum…as such, front squats are accessory and should go after your main movement…unless you don’t want to get strong at your main movement.

thanks for your inputs, the reason i started to think about was that the front squat warmed up good for the deadlift with out really taxing it , but after deadlift front squat suffers more.

[quote]dalle wrote:
thanks for your inputs, the reason i started to think about was that the front squat warmed up good for the deadlift with out really taxing it , but after deadlift front squat suffers more. [/quote]

This is true which is one reason I do front squats first. You should be able to make progress on both by doing them in that order. If your planning on a powerlifting meet I would recommend giving deadlift priority but if you just want to get stronger in general what you’re doing is probably fine.

I usually squat before I dead-lift (I squat everyday) but it’s never a 3rm or anything like that. It’s usually some LIGHT form work building up to a couple sets of 5 between 60%-70% of my max. Then when I dead-lift I start my warm-up at a higher weight then I would if I was dead lifting alone.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]dalle wrote:
thanks for your inputs, the reason i started to think about was that the front squat warmed up good for the deadlift with out really taxing it , but after deadlift front squat suffers more. [/quote]

This is true which is one reason I do front squats first. You should be able to make progress on both by doing them in that order. If your planning on a powerlifting meet I would recommend giving deadlift priority but if you just want to get stronger in general what you’re doing is probably fine.[/quote]

Year same here, and i agree with you, if planning for a meet the deadlift should come first

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
I usually squat before I dead-lift (I squat everyday) but it’s never a 3rm or anything like that. It’s usually some LIGHT form work building up to a couple sets of 5 between 60%-70% of my max. Then when I dead-lift I start my warm-up at a higher weight then I would if I was dead lifting alone.[/quote]

okay nice way to do it:)

If you aren’t seriously specializing quad strength to correct a major weak point, deads should obviously be prioritized since they’re a real competition lift.

Working deads before squatting will cause the posterior chain to be more heavily-recruited on the squats, which could be less than ideal IF you’re trying to emphasize quad strength at the moment. That’s really the only reason I could see for someone focusing on PLing to hit FS first.

I’ve used front squats as a ME movement first then speed deadlifts after.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

During.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I like to do front squats first. I think it actually helps with the deads if I don’t burn myself out.[/quote]

Even a heavy 3RM? I can definitely see the benefit of front squat warmups before the deadlift (though I prefer the oly variations more to get explosive) or doing front squats as ME and speed deads as DE after, but OP is talking about going heavy with both…I don’t think there’s anyway I could deadlift after a heavy ass set of front squats

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I like to do front squats first. I think it actually helps with the deads if I don’t burn myself out.[/quote]

Im not moving huge weights but ive found that split squats are a good exercise to do before deadlifts because they are a good glute activator.

[quote]Kevin5255 wrote:
I’ve used front squats as a ME movement first then speed deadlifts after.[/quote]

I don’t think speed work is all that beneficial after an ME movement. Speed stuff is all about maximum nervous system activation and you can’t do that after ME stuff.

I always squat first and I squat every training session. My deadlift has not suffered at all in doing this but I’m not a triple bodyweight deadlifter (yet). It might require you to take a bit longer between sets and it might require you to do another lift in between your squat and dead. I’m going to assume that you’re not talking about max effort on both.

james

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Kevin5255 wrote:
I’ve used front squats as a ME movement first then speed deadlifts after.[/quote]

I don’t think speed work is all that beneficial after an ME movement. Speed stuff is all about maximum nervous system activation and you can’t do that after ME stuff.[/quote]

While I agree with this for the most part, I know Josh Bryant has his clients do it right after ME work and he’s got some pretty fricken strong guys as clients. When I worked with him I don’t feel as though I had a lot of carryover doing it but I would say it can and does work for certain people.