Front Squats & Back Pain

I was just curious if anyone else has this problem. Whenever I front squat, I ALWAYS get lower back pain. It doesn’t matter if I go heavy or light. Also, I use perfect form (really!), so it is nothing associated with that.

Some of you are probably saying, “Guess what, dipshit? Don’t do front squats.” Well, it isn’t that simple because I’m training for the Olympic lifts. Kinda hard to not do front squats when doing Olifts. :wink:

The strange thing is, my back never hurts when I do overhead squats/snatches, or back squats. Someone told me it was my psoas being extremely tight, but whatever it is, I need help.

Anyone have any suggestions/know why this is happening?

Thanks.

I have never had a problem like this. as a matter of fact i have always done both front and back squats regularly and a year or so ago i had some type of back strain (never got it checked out because i have no insurance)and i had a hard time doing back squats and any kind of deadlift but i didn’t feel any pain while doing front squats so i started doing them exclusively until i could slowly work back in to doing back squats again. my legs got bigger too.

[quote]CS wrote:
I have never had a problem like this. as a matter of fact i have always done both front and back squats regularly and a year or so ago i had some type of back strain (never got it checked out because i have no insurance)and i had a hard time doing back squats and any kind of deadlift but i didn’t feel any pain while doing front squats so i started doing them exclusively until i could slowly work back in to doing back squats again. my legs got bigger too. [/quote]

How is this post useful to anyone?

Suggest you ask this question on Eric Cressey’s Prime Time thread, or PM him, for his opinion.

I know you say you’re using perfect form, but how’s your flexibility? I’ll occasionally get a little bit of back pain when I don’t keep up on my hip flexor, specifically rectus femoris, stretching.

Could be anything about the hip, though, obviously. Could also just be overarching.

Which vertebre does the pain originate from?

-Dan

Where in your lower back? Is it centrally located, right lower back, near the hip bone, etc.? Does it hurt with any other lifts (i.e. deadlifts, powercleans) etc.?

beef

I haven’t ever had a problem performing front squats until yesterday. I went down during my third set and on the fourth rep, I felt a pop in my back right near the bottom of my shoulder blade. It feels really tight there and I have been trying to stretch it out, but am having no luck.

Do you think it’s because of a lack of shoulder flexibility? Any other ideas?

I always feel like the maximum benefit I get from these is in my back…the ability to maintain the arch and I have heard the same thing from some comments Igor Shastikov has made…I use one of my yokes and I have to say from a consistency in training this makes a huge difference…when I first started doing them with the yoke it really highlighted how weak I was in the movement even though my squat was still quite respectable…to be consistent with this exercise you really need to have some form of assitance…

I am not trying to be an expert front squatter and I am sure many others are not as well…its about using the movement to gain a new angle on correcting weaknesses…filling gaps…I think I see and read about too many people training in these exercises and compromising good form to simply ‘gut’ their way through…thats not addressing weaknesses and angular attacks…

I really think if you are suffering from back pain you really, really need to address form and re-evaluate the weight percentages…again…I do these ALL THE TIME with bands, chains and straight weight as I have the benefit of having a solid way to hold the bar and you undeniably feel these most in your lower back as you are trying to maintain that arch and the weight is trying to fold you like a pocket knife…but…and its a big BUT…pops and strains are bad juju and generally indicate a breakdown in form…I like these unquestionably to a box…it really gets you in all the right places and forces you to work your arch…as soon as you round…you are dead…