Front Squats and Squats

Do you think it’s dumb to perform both style of squats in the same routine? Which would you put first if you did?

Personally I like to do my squatting and then hit a few sets of front squats right after. I don’t really care about the sets, reps, or weight of the FS, I use it to get a better pump in my quads, to match my hammies and glutes. Reason for doing that is cause my next exercise is a high rep superset of leg ext. and leg curls.

I don’t think it’s dumb, I guess it depends on your goals. I used to do the opposite. I used to use front squats as a warm up (because I sucked at them) starting 8-10 rep range increasing LBS until I hit 1-3 reps, then switched over to back squats and continued on upping the weight. Kind of a pre-fatiguing of the quads and then hitting heavier loads with the back squat. By then, hammies and glutes were RTG.

it’s a great idea. Lots of ways you can do it. One way is to work up to a 5RM on the front squats, then use that weight as your opening weight of back squats and work up to a heavy 5 back squatting.

It doesn’t matter. Change up which one you do first. Sometimes you should only do one of the two in a given workout. Your weekly and monthly volume should be higher on the one you are trying to progress. Same thing goes for muscle groups. If you are trying to bring up your glutes, hamstrings, and quads, do more volume on the back squat week to week. If you are really trying to focus more on quads, do more volume on the front squat week to week.

This is all assuming that you squat deep.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
it’s a great idea. Lots of ways you can do it. One way is to work up to a 5RM on the front squats, then use that weight as your opening weight of back squats and work up to a heavy 5 back squatting.[/quote]

Great idea

It doesn’t matter what you start with, I never got on with the grip on heavier frt squats so I tend to leave them till last for high rep-light weight, but have certainly done both in one session

Dont mean to derail the thread but does anyone get lower back pain from Front squats and not back squats?

I really like doing them in one workout. I do leg extension, leg curl, squats, leg press and than front squats and can handle a lot more weight compared to what I usually think I can. I think its because of all the heavy weight for squat and leg presses. I mean 500+ pounds and than something like 315… you just feel them lighter then usual.

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
it’s a great idea. Lots of ways you can do it. One way is to work up to a 5RM on the front squats, then use that weight as your opening weight of back squats and work up to a heavy 5 back squatting.[/quote]

Great idea

It doesn’t matter what you start with, I never got on with the grip on heavier frt squats so I tend to leave them till last for high rep-light weight, but have certainly done both in one session[/quote]

Yeah, it’s one of my very favorite ideas for squats. I tend to work up to a heavy 3 or 1 in fronts before switching though, more strength based. I love the way it makes my back feel more “solid” for back squatting. It also assures me more quad involvement in the back squat because I’ve gotten them worked or slightly pumped beforehand.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
Dont mean to derail the thread but does anyone get lower back pain from Front squats and not back squats?[/quote]

Nope. Weak back. or bad form.

Yea I like that idea too rds. I kinda do the opposite right now. I get my hams pumped with standing curls, squat then FS. I’m glad it seems like a lot people use both variations in their routines. It always seemed like people are very faithful either to one or the other around here. Hence my questioning. Thanks for all the great responses, good stuff.

I like to hit movements 2x a week. I use a low bar back squat on my “heavy day” and front squats for reps on my light day.

Current routine, warm-up sets not indicated.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G4RaDFR5WGmESATEsnvNP5A4wohdGeNgH6H-ZUWrZ2M/edit

I always had issues nailing my quads with back squats. Front squats definitely hit 'em hard, but knocked my weights down quite a bit. Solution? Start with fronts, destroy your quads (low reps, high reps, whatever you like), then as soon as you finish a set of front squats, rerack the bar, switch to back squats, and continue going. With your quads pre-toasted, the reduced from what you’d normally back squat weight will be sufficient to really do the job.

S

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
Dont mean to derail the thread but does anyone get lower back pain from Front squats and not back squats?[/quote]

I do but I am 100% sure it is a mobility issue (for me).

Mobility issue? 10Lbs plate under heels for front squats FTW. Cheaters can win.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

Yep. I quit front squats a long time ago. What brought up my quads was back squats with a 1-2 second pause at bottom.