Front Squat Wrist Flexibility

[quote]BlakeAE wrote:
That’ll learn me for not buying that damned DVD yet. No more excuses, gotta buy it. Also going to try the elbow squeeze thing tonight and see how that works out. I have a very hard time getting my elbows up and I do end up taking way too much weight with the arms, especially as I tire and lean forward further.

NeoSpartan wrote:
I had the same problem, for months I struggled with it. Even with the clean grip and with the bar on my finger tips, my elbows would simply not come up much. And my forearms and writs would hurt a little too much.

Anywho… after re-viewing Dan John’s DVD “From the Ground Up” for the 5th time I found a little thing he said. “SQUEEEEEEEZE”

That is, once u have the bar on ur fingers and u simply can’t bring the elbows up. Focus on “SQUEEZING the elbows in and up”, instead of rotating the shoulder to move the elbow up.

With that simple thing, that same night with my barbell at home I was able to bring my shoulders UP. NO PAIN AT ALL! Its f***ing sweet, now my front squat #s are finally going up.

God Bless Dan John.

[/quote]

Got to get that DVD man. Its the SH*T.

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
BlakeAE wrote:
That’ll learn me for not buying that damned DVD yet. No more excuses, gotta buy it. Also going to try the elbow squeeze thing tonight and see how that works out. I have a very hard time getting my elbows up and I do end up taking way too much weight with the arms, especially as I tire and lean forward further.

NeoSpartan wrote:
I had the same problem, for months I struggled with it. Even with the clean grip and with the bar on my finger tips, my elbows would simply not come up much. And my forearms and writs would hurt a little too much.

Anywho… after re-viewing Dan John’s DVD “From the Ground Up” for the 5th time I found a little thing he said. “SQUEEEEEEEZE”

That is, once u have the bar on ur fingers and u simply can’t bring the elbows up. Focus on “SQUEEZING the elbows in and up”, instead of rotating the shoulder to move the elbow up.

With that simple thing, that same night with my barbell at home I was able to bring my shoulders UP. NO PAIN AT ALL! Its f***ing sweet, now my front squat #s are finally going up.

God Bless Dan John.

[/quote]

Where get me it? where get me it?

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
NeoSpartan wrote:
BlakeAE wrote:

NeoSpartan wrote:

God Bless Dan John.

Where get me it? where get me it?
[/quote]

Here:

This DVD has some new stuff plus the stuff of the previous 2 DVDs.

F*****! I ONLY HAVE THE “From The Ground Up” DVD.

Well I’ll be damned. Tonight I had the best front squat session I’ve had in a month. That little tidbit about taking a wider grip and pushing the elbows inward to get the arms rotated was just gold. It was like the super secret they try to sell you on the late night infomercials.

It really worked! I think this was the breakthrough I needed to push up to 225 in the next month or two. This took a lot of pressure off the fingers, wrist and forearms - so much so that I was able to compete all 7 sets using the clean grip. Normally I have to revert to a cross arm for a few sets to ease up on the wrist pain. Not any more.

Now I’m doubly excited for that DVD set. No doubt there are a few more nuggets of gold on there.

Cheers!

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
I’ve recently switched over to front squats for awhile, maybe for good.

It seems to be more of a workout on my wrists than my legs when using the clean grip (wit just the tips of fingers holding the weight) even though I was sore in my legs the next day.

My question is: will the wrist flexibility come with time? or should I just use the wrist straps over the bar like Poliquin or others have recommended?[/quote]

I have been doing front squat and Olympic lifts for the last 3 years.
I initially had problems with wrist flexibility,but I just suck it up and indured the discomfort.
Now my wrist are flexible enough and i dont have any problems.
Hey,but dont do it my way.There are probably some exercises for wrist flexibility.
Good luck with your training!