T Nation

Front Squat Video...Form Okay?

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
I guess stopping short of lockout would be good for quad hypertrophy. It never occured to me to do that because I’m coming at the exercise from an oly lifting perspective: We always try to drive through the top of the squat with enough juice to get the bar coming off our shoulders a little.

I’ve seen some freaky quads built from heavy front squats and full cleans. Of course that definitely doesn’t mean that it’s the only or the best way to do it.[/quote]

I saw your avatar and assumed powerlifting, but an oly focus would definitely explain the need to “drive through” as you say.

It’s all cool. I really appreciate all the different perspectives I see on this site. It keeps me from falling into the dangerous tunnel vision mode.

Take care,
Scott

Here’s a question I have after some time after the workout…My mid back is sore. Usually when I get finished with back squats, my lower back is a little sore, but it goes away usually by the end of the workout. This is like DOMS type soreness in my mid back, and my lower back is fine. Does the mid back come into play a lot more in the front squat than the back squat? I’m just wondering as to why in the world this mid back is so sore when it wasn’t before like a few hours after my workout yesterday.I can only imagine it had to do with the squats, but I can’t see how my form was that bad as to cause this super sore feeling in my mid back muscles, unless of course it’s working normal muscles for a front squat and since i haven’t front squatted in forever, they’re just now being activated.

[quote]relativelyfunguy wrote:
Here’s a question I have after some time after the workout…My mid back is sore. Usually when I get finished with back squats, my lower back is a little sore, but it goes away usually by the end of the workout. This is like DOMS type soreness in my mid back, and my lower back is fine. Does the mid back come into play a lot more in the front squat than the back squat? I’m just wondering as to why in the world this mid back is so sore when it wasn’t before like a few hours after my workout yesterday.I can only imagine it had to do with the squats, but I can’t see how my form was that bad as to cause this super sore feeling in my mid back muscles, unless of course it’s working normal muscles for a front squat and since i haven’t front squatted in forever, they’re just now being activated.[/quote]

Mate,

Your upper back muscles will be acting as one of the primary group of stabilizers for the front squat. Especially with your elbows high, you are actively firing that muscle group (think of it as an isometric kind of activity). With that in mind, it’s not surprising that you may be a little sore.

If the pain begins shifts from muscle soreness to a chronic or acute pain, then your form may be compromised.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sasha