Front Squat Tips

435 2 days ago for one rep, 405 for 3 reps, at bodyweight of 202 lbs.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
435 2 days ago for one rep, 405 for 3 reps, at bodyweight of 202 lbs. [/quote]

that front squat is definitely coming along… slow down damn it:)

Fuck no MM lol. Ima catch you! RGBP is getting better too :slight_smile:

hungry4 more thank you very much

respect
amn.

435 2 days ago for one rep, 405 for 3 reps, at bodyweight of 202 lbs. [/quote]

sweet, not to shabby. thanks

i enjoy a front squat now and again. technique is a very personal thing and one needs to find what works for them… what works for me is to squat straight down. i don’t sit back at all. i front squat exactly how i back squat- i start my lift by taking in a deep breath, holding it and forcing my abs out against my belt and maintaining that throughout the lift.

i force my knees out the entire time until i reach the bottom and then continue to force them out as i drive out of the hole.

here’s a couple vids of my front squats. the first is a box squat. i don’t box squat anymore because it didn’t carryover to my full ROM squat. Having said that, i got really good at box squatting though:)

Damn man. Do you think you had more in you with the 405x4? Cuz those were awfully fast reps.

405x4 is what I’m shooting for next time most likely :slight_smile:

Damn man. Do you think you had more in you with the 405x4? Cuz those were awfully fast reps.

405x4 is what I’m shooting for next time most likely :)[/quote]

yeah… 4 was the goal for that day but i’ve hit 10 pretty easy since then. but then again… i’ve got over 50lbs on you…sooo…yeah.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

yeah… 4 was the goal for that day but i’ve hit 10 pretty easy since then. but then again… i’ve got over 50lbs on you…sooo…yeah.
[/quote]

Sounds like a new goal to me :smiley:

405x10 FS at around 200 lbs bw. I’m game.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

[/quote]

Sounds like a new goal to me :smiley:

405x10 FS at around 200 lbs bw. I’m game. [/quote]

Interested in a race to 405x10? lol

Sure :smiley:

Reminds me of the race to a 500 lb deadlift from like 1-1.5 years ago…now I look back and laugh…today 495 was a fast warmup for DL hahaha.

Nice, I’m excited. Well I haven’t done any front squatting in about 6 months, but since I’m back to doing raw work for a while I need to make things fun somehow. Hopefully I’ll do some either this week or next to see where I’m at. Knee wraps? and hope I don’t pass out during the reps haha

Knee, wraps? thought this was raw bro? lol.

It’s up to you, i’ll just be using a belt fwiw.

PS checked out your training log, damn nice lifts yourself.

You should have a slightly uncomfortable pressure in your neck/windpipe at this point, don’t worry, that’s normal.

[/quote]

This pressure on my throat I don’t have a problem with. However just recently (last couple of sessions) I have experienced light-headedness during the squat and also a week or so ago, was on my last set of 5/3/1 going for my heaviest weight so far. Took it off the rack, stepped back, and had, tunnel vision / ringing in my ears, felt like I was going to pass out and had to rerack the bar. Still managed to get 3 reps a couple of mins later but alarming none the less.

Any chance this could be down to the pressure on my throat? I can’t help but take a gulp of air at the top after I’ve done a rep, and it’s always a raspy wheezing. Is this normal? Is it possible this light-headedness could be down to not taking in enough air? The bar being to close to my throat?

[quote]kanew wrote:

You should have a slightly uncomfortable pressure in your neck/windpipe at this point, don’t worry, that’s normal.

[/quote]

This pressure on my throat I don’t have a problem with. However just recently (last couple of sessions) I have experienced light-headedness during the squat and also a week or so ago, was on my last set of 5/3/1 going for my heaviest weight so far. Took it off the rack, stepped back, and had, tunnel vision / ringing in my ears, felt like I was going to pass out and had to rerack the bar. Still managed to get 3 reps a couple of mins later but alarming none the less.

Any chance this could be down to the pressure on my throat? I can’t help but take a gulp of air at the top after I’ve done a rep, and it’s always a raspy wheezing. Is this normal? Is it possible this light-headedness could be down to not taking in enough air? The bar being to close to my throat?

[/quote]

It happens when the bar is sitting on the carotid artery - happens to weightlifters quite a lot which is why you see guys dumping the bar without even attempting the jerk. If this happens just rack it and reposition the bar.

[quote]ninearms wrote:

[quote]kanew wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

It happens when the bar is sitting on the carotid artery - happens to weightlifters quite a lot which is why you see guys dumping the bar without even attempting the jerk. If this happens just rack it and reposition the bar.[/quote]

Worries over. Thanks a lot.

stay not to chock yourself , so you won’t see any light , take a good breath at the bottom and keep it (the bar)between the high delt and throat , but don’t compress your neck

[quote]kanew wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, it’s most likely sitting a tiny bit too much on the throat, like he ^^^ said. It’s just a matter of practice, getting it just right. That’s part of why I recommend front squatting with such high frequency. I would also suggest only 1 or 2 working sets of it per session, generally speaking.

PS and make sure you are also taking a giant breath right before you unrack the bar, in case I fialed to mention that before.

…recommend front squatting with such high frequency. I would also suggest only 1 or 2 working sets of it per session, generally speaking. [/quote]

Devildog, please elaborate.

Are you saying only 1-2 working sets at around 80-90% 1RM? Not including the ramp up sets? How about the lighter load workouts in a High Frequency Program at 70-80% 1RM?

What are your thoughts concerning “keeping it under six reps in working sets”?

Respects.