T Nation

Front Squat Tips

i’m doing wendler’s 5/3/1 and since i have some shoulder problems , i replaed the back squat by the front squat.
regarding to the technique should i still squat back than down or should i have another technical approach (staying as upright as possible but with less posterior chain activation)

to resume what is the best technique to front squat the maximum amount of weigh

thank you in advance

amn

[quote]amn wrote:
i’m doing wendler’s 5/3/1 and since i have some shoulder problems , i replaed the back squat by the front squat.
regarding to the technique should i still squat back than down or should i have another technical approach (staying as upright as possible but with less posterior chain activation)

to resume what is the best technique to front squat the maximum amount of weigh

thank you in advance

amn[/quote]
You need to talk to Hungry4more, he is around here somewhere. He has a fantastic front squat (with extra homo).

[quote]amn wrote:
regarding to the technique should i still squat back than down or should i have another technical approach (staying as upright as possible but with less posterior chain activation)
amn[/quote]

Use the second approach- break at the knees and sit down, not back. Focus on keeping the chest up and upper back tight throughout the movement.

If you haven’t been doing a bunch of front squatting, some ‘calf crank’ stretches I call them pre workout will help loosen up your ankles helping you sit down better.

Achilles Tendon can be loaded to upwards of 15x bodyweight. damit i didn’t know that!!

i can go down and stay as upright as possible , in that position i sometimes feel(when it gets heavy) like a stretching in the tibian anterior(basically the muscle that covers the tibia) when i push to get out of the hole.

so basically the front squat is quad dominent exercice and i should do more or equal quad assistance work for it than posterior chain?

Tip: Buy a safety squat bar and never do front squats again.

i wish i could man! i wish i could but over here where i live you can’t find only the basic barbells and equipments

I put a lot of weight on my front squat with only modest increases in quad size. All depends on your body’s levers, what tends to dominate movements, and how you are executing the movement.

Elbows up and in!

Amn, i made my own safety squat bar out of a low quality barbell and some larger diameter pipe and elbows. it works great, esp considering you’ll never hit the same number on an SSB as on a low bar squat.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Tip: Buy a safety squat bar and never do front squats again.

[/quote]

Haha nice, I completely agree. To the OP, I front squat exactly the same way I squat/ssb squat(powerlifting style) and it works out fine, granted I narrow my stance up a bit. But do whatever feels better to you. Just wanted to say that I didn’t do anything different and it worked out fine for me. But I will add that using that ssb significantly helped not only my back squat but especially my front squat.

To thirdnalga, I have to disagree slightly. My safety bar squat and regular squat are very very close, maybe a 20lb difference. But I will say it does take time and I believe I am an exception because of my experience with other people using the safety bar.

i wish i could have a safety bar , or cambred bar but since i have none of these i’ll stick with what i’m doing .

thank you to everyone i appreciate the help
amn

[quote]kross001 wrote:

[quote]amn wrote:
i’m doing wendler’s 5/3/1 and since i have some shoulder problems , i replaed the back squat by the front squat.
regarding to the technique should i still squat back than down or should i have another technical approach (staying as upright as possible but with less posterior chain activation)

to resume what is the best technique to front squat the maximum amount of weigh

thank you in advance

amn[/quote]
You need to talk to Hungry4more, he is around here somewhere. He has a fantastic front squat (with extra homo).[/quote]

LOL.

PMing OP now…

Hungry4more, do you mind posting publicly?(or forwarding the PM to me)

thankyou

Front Squatting Setup:

[quote]…But as for tips, setup is everything practically.

Move up to the bar, with feet about shoulder width or a bit wider, and place the bottom of your neck/top of your chest up against it firmly. Stick your arms out as far as possible under it, as if you’re trying to reach out for something that you just BARELY can’t reach, this brings you in tight to the bar, and helps to properly position it on/almost behind your shoulders. You should have a slightly uncomfortable pressure in your neck/windpipe at this point, don’t worry, that’s normal.

Now, grab the bar, with hands grasping the bar pretty much at your neck, maybe a few inches apart. Take a deep breath into your belly, and lift off, staying tight throughout your whole body. Get into position to squat, with each foot about 4-6" wider than shoulder width. Point feet/toes approximately at a 45 degree angle outwards.

Start by sitting BACK, not down, or else your weight will end up on your toes…not good. This will cause the bar to roll forward, and you to lose tightness and optimal leverages. As you squat back, take as much air into your belly as possible, creating all the pressure that you possibly can…you’ll need it to get out of the hole properly. Push your knees as far apart as possible, once again, for best leverage possible, and to keep them from buckling inward. As you start to push up, don’t fall forwards, hold that belly full of breath until you lock out, and keep the knees pushed out. These all help you get past the sticking point.

Nate
[/quote]

Any questions, I’m always more than happy to help where I can.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Front Squatting Setup:

[quote]…But as for tips, setup is everything practically.

Move up to the bar, with feet about shoulder width or a bit wider, and place the bottom of your neck/top of your chest up against it firmly. Stick your arms out as far as possible under it, as if you’re trying to reach out for something that you just BARELY can’t reach, this brings you in tight to the bar, and helps to properly position it on/almost behind your shoulders. You should have a slightly uncomfortable pressure in your neck/windpipe at this point, don’t worry, that’s normal.

Now, grab the bar, with hands grasping the bar pretty much at your neck, maybe a few inches apart. Take a deep breath into your belly, and lift off, staying tight throughout your whole body. Get into position to squat, with each foot about 4-6" wider than shoulder width. Point feet/toes approximately at a 45 degree angle outwards.

Start by sitting BACK, not down, or else your weight will end up on your toes…not good. This will cause the bar to roll forward, and you to lose tightness and optimal leverages. As you squat back, take as much air into your belly as possible, creating all the pressure that you possibly can…you’ll need it to get out of the hole properly. Push your knees as far apart as possible, once again, for best leverage possible, and to keep them from buckling inward. As you start to push up, don’t fall forwards, hold that belly full of breath until you lock out, and keep the knees pushed out. These all help you get past the sticking point.

Nate
[/quote]

Any questions, I’m always more than happy to help where I can. [/quote]

omg beb i new this wud heppen!! (how did I do that time)

Anyway, I don’t think you’d have to sit back that far if you narrowed the stance up a bit Hungry, but you already know how I feel about that :wink:

[quote]amn wrote:
what is the best technique to front squat the maximum amount of weight
[/quote]

Besides, as we’ve already covered, I think I’ve done a pretty good job from both a strength and size perspective…reposting this for t-nationers’ sakes.

PS instinctive typing is coming along, better would’ve been “zomg baeb, i nu this wud hapin!!!”

But better.

thankyou hungry4more

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]amn wrote:
what is the best technique to front squat the maximum amount of weight
[/quote]

Besides, as we’ve already covered, I think I’ve done a pretty good job from both a strength and size perspective…reposting this for t-nationers’ sakes. [/quote]

lol I like the way you think, but if I may ask, what do you front squat? Not theretical by reps, but what have you done. Just asking/curious, since the obvious size perspecitve is shown, pm me if you want.