T Nation

Front Squat Technique Question

It seems that when I am doing front squats and the weight starts to get heavier my hips don’t open up as fast as my legs straighten (or read my knees straighten and I am still bent forward a bit) and then it’s a fight to get all the way up. I want to load this exercise heavier, but I don’t want to stress my back like this. Any tips?

Anyone else have this issue and a good way to solve it or an accessory lift I should be doing. If stats and stuff will help you answer my question my training log is here: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/jakerz_log

…but the short version is I am ~200 lbs 6 foot 2 inches and usually work up to a set with 225 on front squats

[quote]jakerz96 wrote:
It seems that when I am doing front squats and the weight starts to get heavier my hips don’t open up as fast as my legs straighten (or read my knees straighten and I am still bent forward a bit) and then it’s a fight to get all the way up. I want to load this exercise heavier, but I don’t want to stress my back like this. Any tips?[/quote]

Sounds like you’re not keeping your core (low back and abs) as tight as possible. Make sure you’re flexing/bracing your abs as you come up out of the hole. Kicking your elbows forward and keeping the bar back on your shoulders will also help to force you into a better posture.

Increasing your lower back strength would also be a good idea. Romanian deads, good mornings, weighted hyperextensions for time (holding the extended position), etc.

“Short version”… pun intended? 6’2" is on the taller side of things, so we have to adapt any squat technique to our frame. Play with your stance width a bit to see if it helps. But I’d say it’s primarily an issue of your low back not being as strong as your legs, so it’s not able to hold the position.

Thanks you’ve been quite helpful. I didn’t intend the pun (I’m not quite that witty), but good catch. I already use a pretty wide stance, so I think I’ve covered that base as a narrow stance would probably make me fall over backwards. I’ll try out the lifts you mentioned and see what happens. Thanks again.