T Nation

Front Squat Pain

I do front squats using the cross arm method. My form is good, but my arms are always sore. I use to do this exercise before I stopped training due to an injury and don’t recall having this pain in my arm where the bar rests.

Will this go away after a while or is this to be expected with this exercise?

Also, is it possible to squat too low? At this point, my backside is very close to the floor when I front squat.

Any tips would be great-thanks.

[quote]tekgrl wrote:
I do front squats using the cross arm method. My form is good, but my arms are always sore. I use to do this exercise before I stopped training due to an injury and don’t recall having this pain in my arm where the bar rests.

Will this go away after a while or is this to be expected with this exercise?[/quote]

No can say for sure if the pain will go away. It could be intial shock and soreness from the position, but it could also be caused by a pinched nerve or something else.

I don’t like that particular method. I prefer doing it like Olympic lifters, or for those who don’t or can’t do it that way, you can use straps to hold the bar in a position similar to the bodybuilder’s crossover position, but it’s safer and puts less stress on the wrists. I believe there was a photo of this type of front squat in a recent article.

Lower is better. If you have the flexibility and don’t have pain when squatting low, then there is nothing wrong with going down until your butt almost touches the floor. That’s how I squat. :slight_smile:

Have you tried using the Olympic hold instead of crossed arms?

there are a couple more things you can try too.

grab the bar like you are going to do curls, underhand grip. place your hands just outside your shoulders. hold the bar like that while you are doing your squats. i first saw a pic of this on some heavy squating page, sorry dont remember where.
i dont know the pros or cons of this grip, but for me it is way more comfortable then the oly grip.

you may want to try the manta ray device.
this is two formed plastic pads that go on your shoulders between the bar and you, (press fit onto the bar)specifically for the crossed wrist type of grip. it is very comfortable for me.
i know there are a lot of peeps here that dont agree with the manta ray but if it allows you to focus on what you are doing instead of the bar falling off you or being in the wrong place, who cares?

As far as i know this happens to almost everyone, myself included. The pain will go away.

keep squatting