T Nation

Front Squat Numbness

So I’m cycling in some front squats and have noticed a slight numbness/tingling in my right leg, starting around the knee and going down. This has happened the past two workouts, using weights slightly above 85% of my one rep max.

It happens when I’m at the bottom portion of the squat and goes away at the top.

Not sure what’s going on here. Anybody had any similar experiences?

I’ve never exactly had that experience, but I’ll try to say a thing or two.

In the bottom position do you relax your leg muscles? I read from the Cool Tips a while ago that it’s not smart to relax in the bottom position of a full squat. Keep the tension in your legs and blast back up.

Another thing you can do is push through the heels (not the toes) and do some glute activation work. Thorough warm-up of legs before session, make sure to get the glutes firing. I find that pushing through the heels and activating (flexing) the glutes during the concentric phase takes some stress off the knees.

-Kevin

I had the same feelings about 3 years ago. During front or back squats my lower leg/toes would be awash in a tingling sensation at the bottom of the motion. I always assumed it was something around L4-S1 that was going wrong. I’d go see a chiropractor / osteopath / active release guy for it.

http://academic.uofs.edu/department/pt/students/dermatom.jpg

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
I had the same feelings about 3 years ago. During front or back squats my lower leg/toes would be awash in a tingling sensation at the bottom of the motion. I always assumed it was something around L4-S1 that was going wrong. I’d go see a chiropractor / osteopath / active release guy for it.

http://academic.uofs.edu/department/pt/students/dermatom.jpg[/quote]

What ended up being the problem for you? I had the exact same thing, but I found that if I went slowly (right at the bottom) it didn’t happen.

test

Thanks for the advice/tips guys.

Did some more front squats today with my stance a little different…NO NUMBNESS.

What you are describing is usually a sign of overly tight hamstrings and hip flexors which may have de-activated your glutes, increasing the load and pressure on your lower back. The front squat movement may just be aggravating a previously dormant injury.

I would suggest seeing a chiropractor/osteopath as mentioned however should you choose not to, foam rolling, glute activation and post-exercise stretching should be a focus for you.

Hope that helps.

Sasha

Thanks Sasha.

Interestingly, I did some foam rolling in my warm up yesterday and the numbness wasn’t there. I attributed it to my stance, but you’re probably right. I have been running a lot lately so that might’ve caused the hammies to get tighter??

Thanks though, much appreciated.