Front Squat/Lagging

Howdy,

Im on my third week in CW’s “Total Body Training”. I like the program so far, and am seeing some jumps in strength.

Being a FFB, the rest of my body lacks FAR behind my legs. So, my question is how can I do front squats and still get maximum stimulation to the lower body?

The problem is not the squat, its that I cant shoulder enough load to fatigue my legs. Currently, my highest squat was 4x5x225, but the most I could stand to shoulder for front squat was 150.

For now, I have just changed to hack squats in leu of doing front squats so I get SOME kind of variation. I would change to sumo squats, but I just changed DL stance to Sumo as well.

Any tips for beefing up the load I can shoulder on front squats? Should I be doing more shoulder work?

Josh

[quote]EnTransit wrote:

Any tips for beefing up the load I can shoulder on front squats? Should I be doing more shoulder work?

Josh[/quote]

Just practicing the front squat more often will help. Do it 2-3 times a week, nothing too straining, and you’ll grow used to having a load on your shoulders.
Otherwise, I don’t really understand your problem … you just support it with your shoulders, you aren’t supposed to lift anything.
Your entire body needs to be underneath the bar, not just your shoulders and arms.

I agree - I started front squats only a month or so ago - and my front squat numbers are already 85-90% of my back squat numbers. Practice.

I would suggest trying the Sting Ray.

http://www.adfit.com/stingray/index.asp

I also use the Manta Ray and I love it. I know some people will say I am a whimp for not taking it raw, and I am ok with that. But after going head first into a windshield when I was younger and after other neck injuries, I welcome not feeling like my spinal cord is being crushed and that numb tingling feeling.

Anyhow, both of these devices have made a difference in my squats and I recommend them.

Christopher

Tabata Front squats 1 time a week will do WONDERS for nailing great form etc on Front squats.

You could also try zercher squats.