T Nation

Front Squat Isometric Hold

I’ve been having some trouble with my upper back rounding at the bottom of the front squat. If I was to do isometric holds at the bottom of the movement following my workout that would strengthen the upper spinal erectors right? It seems like this would work due to specificity.

Makes sense. I think heavy front squat holds are pretty awesome at the end of a workout. 3-5 sets of 30 seconds, using maybe 125% of your 1RM. I do them standing up, but doing them in the hole would probably work for your purposes. Probably have to lessen the weight though.

Another thing to try: do face pulls and chinups all the time. My upperback has never been an issue for me, and I do shit tons of face pulls and chinup variations.

How would you go about doing these in the bottom position? Use a weight you can pause for ~30 sec?

[quote]louiek wrote:

Another thing to try: do face pulls and chinups all the time. My upperback has never been an issue for me, and I do shit tons of face pulls and chinup variations.[/quote]

Kroc rows are another thing to try I think too.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
How would you go about doing these in the bottom position? Use a weight you can pause for ~30 sec?[/quote]

so far I’ve only used 135 for a 4-5 sets of 10 second hold. I’m coming off a back injury so I’m re-testing my limits. At least I’ve established a baseline. I lost so much strength. That’s what happens with time off though.

Working on ab strength may help as well.

Front squat more?

And I’m totally serious, I love when people say to use fucking face pulls to strengthen the upper back.
really? You really think face pulls are going to strengthen the upper back more compared to doing lets say, front squats? Orrrr how bout deadlifts? yea how bout that exercise the deadlift.

2 Likes

high rep facepulls and low rep snatch gip deads have improved my lat and rhomboid strength immensely. i have done lots of front squats in the past and i do believe that work the upper back quite well. maybe i just needed something different or more volume for that area then what front squats did for me.

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:
Front squat more?

And I’m totally serious, I love when people say to use fucking face pulls to strengthen the upper back.
really? You really think face pulls are going to strengthen the upper back more compared to doing lets say, front squats? Orrrr how bout deadlifts? yea how bout that exercise the deadlift. [/quote]

Are you implying what I’m saying is do face pulls and don’t worry about front squats, deadlifts, clean and jerks, loaded carries, kroc rows, and chinups? You’re an idiot if you think high rep work for upperback doesn’t help build the upperback in strength. In conjunction with compounds, face pulls, rows, chin up variations, kroc rows, shrugs, and rear delt work as well, will all help with the strength of the upperback.

Aside from that, pulling should consist of twice your pressing. 100 reps of face pulls 4 days a week help with that.

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:
I’ve been having some trouble with my upper back rounding at the bottom of the front squat. If I was to do isometric holds at the bottom of the movement following my workout that would strengthen the upper spinal erectors right? It seems like this would work due to specificity.[/quote]

try some seated good mornings with a safety squat bar. this will target the exact area that you need to strengthen. Don’t have a SSB? ok then wrap some lifting straps or a couple towels around the bar as handles and use that. It doesn’t take much weight either.
This may sound over simplified but where are you looking when you squat? I see lots of guys looking down and their backs round. Where the head leads the body will follow…

[quote]louiek wrote:

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:
Front squat more?

really? You really think face pulls are going to strengthen the upper back more compared to doing lets say, front squats? Orrrr how bout deadlifts? yea how bout that exercise the deadlift. [/quote]

Are you implying what I’m saying is do face pulls and don’t worry about front squats, deadlifts, clean and jerks, loaded carries, kroc rows, and chinups? You’re an idiot if you think high rep work for upperback doesn’t help build the upperback in strength. In conjunction with compounds, face pulls, rows, chin up variations, kroc rows, shrugs, and rear delt work as well, will all help with the strength of the upperback.

Aside from that, pulling should consist of twice your pressing. 100 reps of face pulls 4 days a week help with that.[/quote]

I have nothing against facepulls as an exercise, they are a great movement, I use them all the time to balance out all of my pressing movements, and my shoulders feel great because of them.

However, unless you are using a very large amount of weight on them I highly doubt there will be any carryover to front squats,back squats, deadlifts etc.

And most likely when someone is falling forward in a squat it stems from a weak “core”, sure ur upper back is rounding, but what is the cause? Put a belt on, what happens? all of a sudden you stay upright.

Work the area that the belt supports you and you’ll stay more upright.

And loiek, sorry I didnt mean to be abrasive towards you in my post, I have seen many people prescribe facepulls for similar reasons and I just disagree with it, nothing against the movement, just the application.

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:
However, unless you are using a very large amount of weight on them I highly doubt there will be any carryover to front squats,back squats, deadlifts etc.
[/quote]

You’re wrong, but I understand why you would say that.

Mobility

LEAVE FACE PULLS ALONE!!! LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!

CGBP

When I go heavy or high reps and fatigue I’ll get some upper back rounding with the SSB bar and front squats. I have to concentrate really hard not to let my upper back round and fight the shit out of it.

Anyway, are you asking b/c you think the upper back rounding is holding you back on your competition squat?

My competition squat does not fail with upper back rounding even though the SSB bar can really challenge my upper back. So I’ve not done anything about it b/c it’s not my weakest point in my competition squat.

You missed this part:

6 years later

Ugh.

Didn’t see the 6 year bump.