T Nation

Front Squat Help

I recently started back on front squats, and after the first time I trained them my mid-back killed. I did about 75% of my back squat. My back squat form is very good; I have been doing them for a long time and have never gotten any pain from them.

When I used to do front squats, I used to have a mild but bearable mid-back pain, but that was with much less weight.

Also, when doing a lot of weight front squatting I feel like I’m going to pass out sometimes. I use a clean grip btw. Anyone got any advice?

bump?

What does your stance look like?

Front squats require strong thoracic erectors.
Heavy lifting on a new exercise is gong to cause soreness.

You answered your own question by saying you used more weight than last time you front squatted.

Assuming you don’t have lumbar flexion while you front squat slight thoracic movement is ok.
Rest, recover, and don’t jump in too heavy to a new or unfamiliar movement and you should be ok.

[quote]Mbaboy wrote:
I recently started back on front squats, and after the first time I trained them my mid-back killed. I did about 75% of my back squat. My back squat form is very good; I have been doing them for a long time and have never gotten any pain from them.

When I used to do front squats, I used to have a mild but bearable mid-back pain, but that was with much less weight.

Also, when doing a lot of weight front squatting I feel like I’m going to pass out sometimes. I use a clean grip btw. Anyone got any advice?[/quote]

The comment on the back pain is right on. Any time I go heavy, I get some soreness in my upper back as well.

As for feeling like you will pass out on heavy front squats, that is not as common, but it happens. I would check your grip and make sure that the bar isn’t resting against your throat.

You may need to work on your wrist flexibility or use only two or three fingers on the grip so you don’t press the bar back toward your neck. Without pictures or video of the squats, it is hard to say.

-folly