T Nation

Front Squat Help

ok tried front squat for the first time ever today…

I started light and went up as follows, just doing bottom half of the reps like i saw Ronnie coleman do on the unbelieveable dvd…

40kg x10
60 kg x8
70kg x6
80kgx6

Problem is as soon as i hit the top set the bar just kept rolling down my arms which was both uncomfortable and id of thought not good form right?

Does anyone have any advice on keeping the bar upright? I can back squat 150 x4 reps and this squat was done after a 18 plate leg press (currently doing Kingbeefs routine).

I would love to continue with them but i need to sort this out. Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

Vids always help

I’m assuming you use the “bodybuilder grip”? Oly grip is “stronger” if you’re flexible enough to do it, but I understand if it feels painful for you.

Other than that, push the bar into your throat hard. Stay upright and push your knees out when coming out of he hole.

ok thanks yeah i was going to do hack squats to repace them…then i watched the video before going gym and was like SHIT! I want them quads lol his strength is unreal!

I have bad wrists so i dont think that other grip would be suitable though. Thamks kakno :slight_smile:

Something that works for me (since I’m a skinny freak) is to wrap the bar in a towel. It helps me bite my chin down on the bar a little and “lock” it in place.

[quote]PrimaryClone wrote:
Something that works for me (since I’m a skinny freak) is to wrap the bar in a towel. It helps me bite my chin down on the bar a little and “lock” it in place. [/quote]

I’d try to get rid of that habit. Learn to do it properly. You’ll get a nice callus on your throat and it will stop hurting after a few sessions. There’s nothing important on your clavicles.

Personally, I have never been able to front squat using the cross-armed grip. My arms give out from constantly keeping the bar in position, long before my legs even start to feel worked.

At first, the olympic grip seemed really uncomfortable but some light stretching of the wrists every day made fronts squats way more comfortable. Learning how to position the bar on the clavicles definately helps as well, but that is something you can only figure out through practice… just like any other lift.

In the routine i train back the day before and it was very sore…could this effect it in any way as i read that the upper back is a major stabiliser in front squatting?

Oh and yea im doing to try some VERY light clean grip squats tommorow and see how i get on :smiley:

In the routine i train back the day before and it was very sore…could this effect it in any way as i read that the upper back is a major stabiliser in front squatting?

Oh and yea im doing to try some VERY light clean grip squats tommorow and see how i get on :smiley:

Concentrate on keeping your elbows up and upper back as upright as possible. This will keep the shoulders locked in place and stop the bar from rolling forward.

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
Concentrate on keeping your elbows up and upper back as upright as possible. This will keep the shoulders locked in place and stop the bar from rolling forward.
[/quote]
This

And also working my overhead press and deadlift seems to help me with the bar stability/placement problem somewhat. Other than that you’ll just have to practice the lift. Both grips are uncomfortable for different reasons, either way you’ll have to learn to deal with it. It gets easier as you pack more meat on your bones though.

I favor the “genie” style, but there are a handful of methods. You could also use straps. Loop around the bar very loose.