T Nation

Front Squat Help

Hey guys. this is a very simple question and i know i could look over videos and wat not. But anyway I love to back squat and and all compound exercises and i would one day like to get into olympic lifting but right now i'm fairly new. The problem i have with the front squat is i'm having problems holding the bar or keping it on my upper chest and i was wondering what tips you could give me with this problem.

You don't want the bar on your upper chest...

You want it to be resting on your front deltoids. If you have the flexibility, you want to be 'holding' it in your fingertips with your palms up and elbows out in front of you.

Or if you're like me, you cross your arms over in front of you and hope the bar doesn't roll off your shoulders.

Wrist and elbow flexibility just takes practice and time to get your body adjusted. You should focus on keeping your elbows high enough that your delts create a little shelf for the bar to stay secure and maintain that tightness throughout the lift.

Keep your elbows up.

Keep your elbows as high as you can. It takes some time to get used to so start with light weights(the bar).

I had problems getting the bar in the right position using the clean grip, so I started using wrist straps to hold the bar like the guy in this video...

and now I have no problems holding the bar...

Also, I wouldn't go for more than 5 reps on the front squat. When I go above 5 my form goes to shit.

The bar should almost choke you... One way to learn how to properly position the bar when front squatting is by not holding the bar at all with your hands, and just letting it rest on your delts. It took me about 30 seconds to teach my friend how to front squat from this method...

The bar should almost choke you! If not, then it may one day fall.

...And your rhomboids starts getting tired...

Hey, wait a minute, doesn't that rule apply with almost ANY exercise?

Not like it does with front squats.

THanks guys. Like everything it's gonna take time and practice. I really want to master all the moves and work my way into the full olympic lifts.

No. You are wrong.

is there any things i can do to improve my hand/wrist/arm flexibility for this exersice

One thing that will help you right now:

1-warm up your wrist a little and you shoulders (swings 'n stuff)too
2-set the bar with some weights on the rack and place your Finger Tips on it (except for the thumb, duh!)
--instead of gripping the bar.
3-with your finger tips on the bar walk towards the bar
4-position yourself under the bar
5-get your elbows under and up
--ur palms are open and only your finger tips are on the bar
6-stand up with the bar
7-focus on squeezing your elbows IN and UP

Remember as you squat focus on squeezing your elbows IN and UP

I got this from Dan John when i started Front Squatting and on the 1st day it made a night and day difference

One thing that will help you right now:

1-warm up your wrist a little and you shoulders (swings 'n stuff)too
2-set the bar with some weights on the rack and place your Finger Tips on it (except for the thumb, duh!)
--instead of gripping the bar.
3-with your finger tips on the bar walk towards the bar
4-position yourself under the bar
5-get your elbows under and up
--ur palms are open and only your finger tips are on the bar
6-stand up with the bar
7-focus on squeezing your elbows IN and UP

Remember as you squat focus on squeezing your elbows IN and UP

x2

It should be snug against your neck, but not enough to cut off circulation.

Thats some good tips neosparten. i'm definitly gonna do that when i go to the gym later today

If you have a safety squat bar you can also try flipping that upside down and using that. It sounds weird but it actually works really well. Here is how it works.

I don't have a SSB in my gym now though so I use cross arm style and that hasn't given me any problems. I agree with what everyone else said about keeping the elbows up. I want to add that for me it helps to think about keep the chin up. If your head dips, the bar will follow and you will dump it.

Also try,Strapped Front Squat

good stuff.