Front Squat Form?

[quote]Bonn1997 wrote:
rmarquez wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
I’m a beginner. While we’re on this topic, how important is it to use a squat rack when doing a front squat (as opposed to just using a barbell and doing the squat without the rack)?

I’m asking b/c I can do everything in exercise A of Phase II of the Scrawny 2 Brawny program at home if I don’t use a squat rack. If it’s not safe without the rack or if it would be more effective with the rack, I’ll go the gym, though. Thanks!

I don’t have a squat rack or squat cage. I just pull it off the floor olympic style to my hip, then up to my chest/shoulders and then squat for 3 reps. Then slowly reverse the steps. That is one set for me. To do it this way, I notice that I can only do (safely/correctly) about 115lbs on heavy days. Then again I have only been working out for the past 4 months…

Are you saying you’re able to do less weight because you have to exert energy to bring the weights up off the floor all the way to shoulder level? I hadn’t really thought about this factor. [/quote]

It seems to be more than just a front squat because you have to lift it off the floor and put it back down as well. Regular squats, in a squat cage, I can do 1 rep of 300 lbs. But then again that was 3 years ago and I had a membership to a Gold’s Gym.

I would love to have a squat reack/cage, but doing it this way seems to be more “work” and therefore alot less weight I can lift/squat.

Wrap some straps or towels around the bar. http://www.kiltedthrower.com/ Go to media click on video and watch the ones labeled front squat.

Also, don’t make things harder on yourself by actually trying to “hold” onto the bar. That is just silly. The bar should rest in a groove created by your delts. Further, it should be pressed right up against your throat. A former coach of mine once emphasized that if you don’t feel a slight sensation of choking, you aren’t doing it right.

To put the bar in that position, you can’t (or at least I can’t) feasibly “hold” onto it. Instead, I have two fingers (index and middle) curled around the bar. They merely serve to help me push the bar back against my throat and keep tension in my “rack” rather than actually holding onto it. If you try to palm the bar you are going to end up with a sagging rack (that sounds funny) and this will cause you to tip forward since the bar will not sit in the proper groove. The result is back strain and shitty leverage.

As stated before and supported by Aragorn, hone the groove by trying no-hands front squats for several sessions. I recommend sets of 95 lbs. with no hands to enforce that groove.