T Nation

Front Squat Fix?

CT,
What is your fav assist lift to fix an anterior core weakness in the FS?
I've been doing a ton of BW pistol squats, added 3cm to each thigh. Recently went back to heavier FS. Unfortunately FS is now an ab exercise. My abs fail long before I feel my legs. My abs and obliques are extra sore after these.

Should I back-off the weight and just do lots of FS volume until my abs catch up to my quads?

I have short legs and a long torso, which I know is not helping.

[quote]orcrist wrote:
CT,
What is your fav assist lift to fix an anterior core weakness in the FS?
I’ve been doing a ton of BW pistol squats, added 3cm to each thigh. Recently went back to heavier FS. Unfortunately FS is now an ab exercise. My abs fail long before I feel my legs. My abs and obliques are extra sore after these.

Should I back-off the weight and just do lots of FS volume until my abs catch up to my quads?

I have short legs and a long torso, which I know is not helping. [/quote]

Actually short legs/long torso is the ideal body type for the front squat, especially if your tibias are longer than your femurs.

Here’s the drill I recommend for your problem.

To give you an idea, Alex in the video was eventually able to use 350lbs and his best front squat is 370 x 2

I’m doing O lifting and have the same problem but with lagging upper back strength. I start rounding at as little as 70% of my 1RM while my legs are hardly taxed. Anything Specific I could do, besides lowering my weights and Squatting as strict as possible?
Bret Contraras once wrote about Supramaximal Front Rack Holds if I remember right.

[quote]muskelkater wrote:
I’m doing O lifting and have the same problem but with lagging upper back strength. I start rounding at as little as 70% of my 1RM while my legs are hardly taxed. Anything Specific I could do, besides lowering my weights and Squatting as strict as possible?
Bret Contraras once wrote about Supramaximal Front Rack Holds if I remember right.[/quote]

1.Zombie front squat (front squat with the arms extended in front of you, so not holding the bar)

1. 1/2 and 1/4 front squat from pins

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

1. 1/2 and 1/4 front squat from pins[/quote]

these will make your upper back sore as hell.