Front Squat Critique

here is a video from yesterday. Its of my heaviest ever front squat.

my back doesnt round at all on the lighter weights but does on this one, why?

also my hips usually rise faster then my chest, this happens on clean as well. Pretty much never happens on back squats even with max attempts.

i try do do some glut activation 5 days/week.

does it look ok? what are some things i can do to improve more.

Thanks

looks like a good PR lift to me man. the upper back’s going to cave a little sometimes on heavy front squats, as it’s usually the limiting factor on the lift, imo. just keep getting stronger on the lift and your upper back will continue to get stronger as well. if you get your max to 160, your back probably won’t cave at 150 anymore. just focus on driving the elbows up high.

Alec

Looks good mate. Good form for a 1RM. Much straighter than my back LOL

Your lifting will go up as soon as you can shift your squats up as long as you carry on lifting as well as pulling up the squats.

Koing

thanks guys, koing i got your comment on youtube.

i actually tried doing zombie squats today (no hands on the bar) and the tech felt great, super straight up and down, really strict.

im going to push back squat and push zombies and see what happens in a few weeks with the 1rm with hands

[quote]tork94 wrote:
thanks guys, koing i got your comment on youtube.

i actually tried doing zombie squats today (no hands on the bar) and the tech felt great, super straight up and down, really strict.

im going to push back squat and push zombies and see what happens in a few weeks with the 1rm with hands
[/quote]

Well, if we’re really nitpicking, (a) there’s an extra step on the walkout, (b) maybe 3-4 unnecessary seconds from leaving the rack to the start of the descent, (c) an unnecessary buckle forward before you begin the descent, and (d) a lack of an elbow squeeze at rock bottom (trying to bring the elbows together in the hole will elevate the bar slightly and give you slightly better leverage when you start the ascent). All of that is worth another 5 kilos on your FS.

not as nice as the zombies i did on monday, but not tooo bad.

Cool! So those help you keep form?

Nice, might have to give those a try. How heavy are you able to go on them compared to your max?

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Nice, might have to give those a try. How heavy are you able to go on them compared to your max?[/quote]

im not sure since i had not gone to failure, but my best regular is 152.5. i have gone up to 130 in the zombie and had a few more kgs in me.