Front Squat Collapse Thing (for Lack of a Technical Term)

Hi coach,

This is quite hard to describe so bear with me. When I front squat, in the very bottom position it feels a little like a sort of lose tightness and collapse forward ever so slightly. I don’t lose tightness in my upper or lower back (as far as I can tell - my lower back usually screams at me if I lose tightness), but there’s definitely a loss of tightness somewhere. It causes discomfort and sometimes pain in the upper, outer region of my calves if that helps at all. My knees are not collapsing inwards when this happens (again, as far as I can tell).

It’s only the very last few degrees where it happens. If I stop just short of rock bottom then I keep the tightness all over, but ideally I’d like to address the issue so I can keep squatting all the way down.

Thanks for any help you can give, and I’m sorry my description isn’t very good.

Your knees are likely traveling too far forward. Root yourself better into the ground when you set up, (imagine trying to screw your feet into the floor… turning them out… they wont actually turn out since they are on the floor, but that is what you are trying to do) and sit back a bit more when you go down.

cool, I’ll try that. Thank you

actually coach I have a question regarding torque.

My toes point out about 20 degrees when I squat. Should I be trying to have a more forward toe angle when trying to screw my feet in or does it not matter? The toes pointing out a bit stance feels way more natural to me.

Some mobility expert recommend the straighter feet position. But look at what all powerlifters and Olympic lifters are doing. I would say that 95% of them have feet turned out 10-20 degrees.

Only those with a kick ass hip mobility and perfect levers (shorter leg with long tibia vs. femur) can do that efficiently.

thanks, that was exactly what I was thinking.

Thank you for your help.