Front Squat Advice?

[quote]Jimmy the Saint wrote:
One last bit of advice to everyone out there. Make it easy on yourself if you have to teach others form…teach an athlete to front squat before the back squat.

Although, once and a while you will have an athlete who can’t transfer the form as easily, most will be able to perform great back squats once they master the form on front squats.[/quote]

I actually teach the overhead squat first. Front squat next and after about 3 months then move to the back squats. Any mechanical problems/deficiencies will show up with the OHS, big time.

It is better to address the problem immediately, because they will show up again in the front squat and back squat. When we get to back squats, the problem ares have been eliminated. This progression also helps build confidence for the back squat for beginners.

I’ve found that the so called “wrist” problem is actually more of a shoulder/triceps/lats problem.

Good luck.

TNT

Ya, I feel like my wrists are plenty flexible, but any time I try to get into position to front squat my shoulders hurt for a few days after that. I don’t even have to lift the weight all I have to do is try to get my arms into position and I get all kinds of pain in my shoulders. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

[quote]EmCsquared wrote:
Ya, I feel like my wrists are plenty flexible, but any time I try to get into position to front squat my shoulders hurt for a few days after that. I don’t even have to lift the weight all I have to do is try to get my arms into position and I get all kinds of pain in my shoulders. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?[/quote]

Yes. Get the bar back further, almost like it’s choking you. I had trouble when I was O-lifting with this – my shoulders always hurt because I was riding the bar on the base of my delts rather than right back into my neck, behind the muscle, on the collarbone.

Also, keep in mind, for many MANY people, front squatting the real way requires extraordinary flexibility in the wrists elbows and shoulders. As I recall it took me several months doing super-max unloads off the rack to stretch shit into the proper position, and that was with an experienced coach making sure I wasn’t making rookie mistakes (squeezing the bar, keeping the elbow down, etc.) Maybe the OL purists will disagree with me, but that’s been my experience, and I have seen it literally hundreds of times since. It can be done, it can be taught, it’s just a question if you want to take the time to do it.

[quote]
EmCsquared wrote:
Ya, I feel like my wrists are plenty flexible, but any time I try to get into position to front squat my shoulders hurt for a few days after that. I don’t even have to lift the weight all I have to do is try to get my arms into position and I get all kinds of pain in my shoulders. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

ChuckyT wrote:
Yes. Get the bar back further, almost like it’s choking you. I had trouble when I was O-lifting with this – my shoulders always hurt because I was riding the bar on the base of my delts rather than right back into my neck, behind the muscle, on the collarbone.

Also, keep in mind, for many MANY people, front squatting the real way requires extraordinary flexibility in the wrists elbows and shoulders. As I recall it took me several months doing super-max unloads off the rack to stretch shit into the proper position, and that was with an experienced coach making sure I wasn’t making rookie mistakes (squeezing the bar, keeping the elbow down, etc.) Maybe the OL purists will disagree with me, but that’s been my experience, and I have seen it literally hundreds of times since. It can be done, it can be taught, it’s just a question if you want to take the time to do it. [/quote]

I agree with ChuckyT about getting the bar back. With elbows high, the bar should be resting on center of the clavicle in the crook created by the flexed anterior delts. Centered on the torso, the squat motion remains vertical and there is no “falling forward” or “falling back” motion that must be compensated for, allowing you to move more weights. I always get bruises on the clavicle when going heavy.

Flexibility. Try a trick I learned on this forum. Before you squat place both hands behind you neck and interlace your fingers. Now, with your elbow up high, walk to the wall until your elbows make contact. Press forward and move closer, letting your elbows ride up the wall and stretch out your arms, and shoulder complex. Hold the stretch, repeat if you like, and then proceed to the squat. (Most of the time the real limiting factor is the shoulders, not the wrist).

I don’t know if anyone has seen Rocky Balboa yet, but while doing C&J with 315, he “catches” the weight during the clean. The weight was caught on his wrists, not his collarbones.

I almost lost my mud when I saw it. Yes, I know it really wasn’t 315, but it was so ridiculous, I had to bring it up here.

The lesson is, if you’re italian and 59 years old, and a former boxer, then you should perform all front squats and their variations with while holding the bar in your hand like a f***ing retard. If not, then use an olympic grip or use straps - they work.

[quote]!vic wrote:

EmCsquared wrote:

ChuckyT wrote:

Also, keep in mind, for many MANY people, front squatting the real way requires extraordinary flexibility in the wrists elbows and shoulders. As I recall it took me several months doing super-max unloads off the rack to stretch shit into the proper position, and that was with an experienced coach making sure I wasn’t making rookie mistakes (squeezing the bar, keeping the elbow down, etc.) Maybe the OL purists will disagree with me, but that’s been my experience, and I have seen it literally hundreds of times since. It can be done, it can be taught, it’s just a question if you want to take the time to do it.

I agree with ChuckyT about getting the bar back. With elbows high, the bar should be resting on center of the clavicle in the crook created by the flexed anterior delts. Centered on the torso, the squat motion remains vertical and there is no “falling forward” or “falling back” motion that must be compensated for, allowing you to move more weights. I always get bruises on the clavicle when going heavy.

Flexibility. Try a trick I learned on this forum. Before you squat place both hands behind you neck and interlace your fingers. Now, with your elbow up high, walk to the wall until your elbows make contact. Press forward and move closer, letting your elbows ride up the wall and stretch out your arms, and shoulder complex. Hold the stretch, repeat if you like, and then proceed to the squat. (Most of the time the real limiting factor is the shoulders, not the wrist).

[/quote]

Great stretching exercise. Thanks for the tip. I also tried it while holding a broomstick behind the neck and sliding the elbows up the wall. Just another couple of tools in the training tool box. Training tools are like wrenches - it’s always best to have a complete set.

TNT

Matt McGorry & !vic:

Thanks for the tips but for the life of me I can’t seem to get the forearm flexibility down enough to do either the straps or wrist bend in doing FS… I have managed to work up to sets 3 X 10 at 225lb for FS but am now accustomed to the bodybuilder style up against my throat style of FS. The bar sits high with my arms crossed & the bar sits shy of the separation of my deltoid & bicep (wrong?)

Anyone else have stretching tips before front squatting? I’m getting more concerned it’s not just my shoulders lacking flexibility but also my lats :frowning: