Front Squat- 400+ ~200 in Bands

Last wave of my accumulation block, decided to work up to something that either slowed down a lot or I couldn’t hold on to anymore… I couldn’t hold on to this anymore. Enjoy the sad musical stylings of Hank Williams III:

Good to see you posting again! Nice lifts. What do you feel the box front squats with bands do for you or was it just a for shits and giggles kind of thing?

hey man, hope you don’t mind if I ask a few questions.

I was wondering about yout band tension, it looks like they unload completely at the bottom, how did you test it to know it’s 200lbs tension?

Also, what kind of plates are you using? None of them seemed to match up for the weights like regular plates.

Nice grind on the 400 man, good job

I’ve never seen that kind of front squat grip before; it looks like I might have something to try out once I get back to squatting.

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
I’ve never seen that kind of front squat grip before; it looks like I might have something to try out once I get back to squatting.[/quote]

I was going to mention this too…I have trouble getting a comfortable grip down for Front Squat, may do some experimenting with that. Nice lift!

[quote]Doh wrote:

I’ve never seen that kind of front squat grip before; it looks like I might have something to try out once I get back to squatting.[/quote]

I was going to mention this too…I have trouble getting a comfortable grip down for Front Squat, may do some experimenting with that. Nice lift![/quote]

I haven’t tried it, but I’ve seen people rig something up with lifting straps.

I’ve done the straps stuff too, but I’d rather be able to just walk up to a bar and do it.

Storm, why you no respond to my PM?

I’ve tried that grip , but no way my wrists ( especially the right ) are going to bend back that far . I see the merit in it though , as it seems the fingers only need to be used enough to keep the bar from rolling forward .tried the strap version also . finally settled on just using the crossed-arm method .

Larry…if you buy bands from EFS , they send along a calibration chart ( short and longs ) . a pair of black EFS bands at 56" ( choked as in the way Storm has them ) charts at 200 lbs . that puts Storm at about 5’11" ?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Good to see you posting again! Nice lifts. What do you feel the box front squats with bands do for you or was it just a for shits and giggles kind of thing?[/quote]

It’s my accumulation block. This was my dynamic effort day. I waved front squats for 3 weeks starting with 235+200 in bands for x12x2, 255x12x2, then 275x5x2 on this day. My next meet is a deadlift only and the best squatting variaitions I’ve found to help my deadlifts are front squats and box squats… hence the front box squats. haha.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
hey man, hope you don’t mind if I ask a few questions.

I was wondering about yout band tension, it looks like they unload completely at the bottom, how did you test it to know it’s 200lbs tension?

Also, what kind of plates are you using? None of them seemed to match up for the weights like regular plates.

Nice grind on the 400 man, good job[/quote]

I hung the bands from the top of the rack, put a bar through them, and loaded it up until the bar was just barely off the floor.

They don’t match up because I have got over 1500lbs in rusted, miss matched plates. Also, there was a 25lb plate wedged between the 1st and 2nd 45lb plate on each side.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]Doh wrote:

I was going to mention this too…I have trouble getting a comfortable grip down for Front Squat, may do some experimenting with that. Nice lift![/quote]

I haven’t tried it, but I’ve seen people rig something up with lifting straps. [/quote]

I don’t know what to tell you guys. This is how I catch my powercleans as well. Also, this is how I used to teach the athletes I coached how to front squat. No one on earth can actually hold a heavy bar with their hands in this position. I just put two fingers on it, completely relax my hands, and drive my elbows into outer space.

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
I’ve tried that grip , but no way my wrists ( especially the right ) are going to bend back that far . I see the merit in it though , as it seems the fingers only need to be used enough to keep the bar from rolling forward .tried the strap version also . finally settled on just using the crossed-arm method .

Larry…if you buy bands from EFS , they send along a calibration chart ( short and longs ) . a pair of black EFS bands at 56" ( choked as in the way Storm has them ) charts at 200 lbs . that puts Storm at about 5’11" ?[/quote]

6’2’’

Interesting, why do you think front squats help your deadlift…? Do you deadlift conventional, or sumo?

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Interesting, why do you think front squats help your deadlift…? Do you deadlift conventional, or sumo? [/quote]
i’ve recently made this discovery as well, i think it’s with the increased core strength as well as the strong quad drive off the floor

I think front squats make everything stronger :/.

I don’t like sounding like a douche, but that’s not 200# of bands. I’ve used bands a ton, and it’s usually less than you think. Especially when they’re completely deloaded in the bottom. If you wanna get a lot more out of them, put a heavy dumbbell right next to the rack and cinch your band around the rack AND the dumbbell. Those few inches create WAY more tension, and significantly more in the bottom.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Interesting, why do you think front squats help your deadlift…? Do you deadlift conventional, or sumo? [/quote]

A front squat, pretty much is a deadlift just with the leverages changed. It is still with a barbell and it is still an anterior loaded exercise. The limiting factor for me is my shoulder mobility sucks. I’ve gotten something like 550 with a front squat harness before. I am no where near that without one.

I pull conventional in meets but train both stances.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
I think front squats make everything stronger :/.[/quote]

Agree’d! It’s one of those soul building exercises.

[quote]LittleThuggie wrote:
I don’t like sounding like a douche, but that’s not 200# of bands. I’ve used bands a ton, and it’s usually less than you think. Especially when they’re completely deloaded in the bottom. If you wanna get a lot more out of them, put a heavy dumbbell right next to the rack and cinch your band around the rack AND the dumbbell. Those few inches create WAY more tension, and significantly more in the bottom. [/quote]

Thanks, man. I’ve never used bands before.

Storm, why you no respond to my PM?[/quote]

As far as I know PM’s haven’t worked for anybody in a long time.