T Nation

Front Raises for Bodybuilding

hey guys im curious who here does front raises, I know alot of people say u get enough front delt work from pressing but I tried them today and they lit my shoulers up. SO for all the people who train strictly for bodybuilding what ur opionon on front raises?

I do them. I like to go beyond parallel. Don’t get carried away or you could develop an imbalance. I’m really no expert, but you asked who does them. I do side/front/rear delt raises after my pressing.

Occassionally I’ll throw them in just for variety’s sake. Nothing too heavy, no swinging, and just up to parallel with a neutral (thumbs up) grip to really stress the anterior head.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Occassionally I’ll throw them in just for variety’s sake. Nothing too heavy, no swinging, and just up to parallel with a neutral (thumbs up) grip to really stress the anterior head.

S
[/quote]
By thumb up do you mean not wrapped around the bar? So you’re only holding the weight with your 4 fingers?

i like to incorporate them in my delt workouts as part of a superset - usually pre-exhaust style and sometimes post exhaust to change things up. i personally don’t feel i get enough out of them as a stand alone exercise.

no he means palms facing in, it’s just another way to hit the anterior head from a different angle; the same can be done for the medial head with palms facing straight in front of you.

hammer grip. neutral grip like your skiing or some shit!

Oh ok, I’ll give it a try. Thanks. I’ve found my hands turning at a 45 degree angle when doing front raises.

I also agree with 1morerep.

I prefer to start them in a neutral grip and rotate to a palm facing down while coming across my body finishing the contraction towards the other delt, well basically across midline.

I feel that by doing them this way I get a better contraction.

Now if anybody has some great ways of pulling up the rear dealts there inlies the problem. Plenty of people have overdeveloped front delts, but how many people do you see with overdeveloped rear delts. lol

DG

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S
[/quote]

Same with me, I throw them in on occasion, but I don’t do them on a regular basis.

Front raises are hard to progress on weigth-wise. I think that’s why most people aren’t too keen on them.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Front raises are hard to progress on weigth-wise. I think that’s why most people aren’t too keen on them.[/quote]

well kickbacks are either, but I everytime I’m at the gym I see at least 2 people doing them

i used to do front raises with a barbell, but I have not done them for a long time now… maybe I will do them in the superset
from the “delt building duo” (side raises, no pause, front raise, no pause, shoulder press with the same weight all for 12-15reps)

[quote]jenz wrote:
Der Candy wrote:
Front raises are hard to progress on weigth-wise. I think that’s why most people aren’t too keen on them.

well kickbacks are either, but I everytime I’m at the gym I see at least 2 people doing them

i used to do front raises with a barbell, but I have not done them for a long time now… maybe I will do them in the superset
from the “delt building duo” (side raises, no pause, front raise, no pause, shoulder press with the same weight all for 12-15reps)[/quote]

I personally think the “kick back” is a horrible exercise. I mean I see it’s point and everybody is different and all…but you have to utilize soo many other muscles just to stablize the dang thing. Not that this is necesarrily bad, but for the most part you can’t go that heavy with a kickback. I think the kickback is the LAST tricep exercise I’d ever do. lol

I agree 100% that raises and upright rows are best used in a superset fashion…imo with lighter weights and strict form.

Not necessarily the best muscle builder but will carve out some definition.

Although, I watched a video of victor martinez and he likes to do heavy half lateral (side) raises. Grab an 80lb dumbell or so and just lift it up halfway for 12-15. You’ll be screamin. lol I personally would rather do a heavy pressing movement followed by light supersets with all the raises and/or reverse pec deck, but we all got to mix it up now and then.

DG

I did them a lot back in the days. I used huge (for me) weight so it hit my upper back,hamstrings and entire back. I did side raises with a 50+kg barbell and front raises (two arms) with up to 80kg. (180 pounds). Done this way,with far excess weight and huge swing,it will develop the posterior chain a lot. No troll.

I also like to incorporate front DB raises into my shoulder day working it into a drop set as one potential finisher. I also agree with what was said about kick backs with respect to using free weights simply because the power curve doesn’t seem to be conducive for getting an intense isometric contraction at the end of the concentric phase of the movement. If I’m ever in the mood to throw in some kick backs, I’ll do them via a cable machine which seems to help correct this problem.

i do alternating pronated dumbbell front raises all the way up above my head near the end of my shoulder day, i can feel it much more than with any compound like flat bench