T Nation

Front Page Photos

on the front page of T-Nation there are always good articles on training, but is there ever a photo of a normal guy training??? its always a guy taking a pound of roids a day. guys are all bigger than a house. i know they train hard… but they sure didnt get that way by following the article. its drugs… be nice to see a normal athlete in the photo… not just druggies…

If this were an aspiring rock musician forum, wouldn’t it make sense to place rock STARS up there as something to motivate the members?

It’s good to have high goals.

I could never figure out why people get in such a tizzy over the pics in the articles. They are not meant to be picture books, the info is the important part. Good point also ID

i cant be the only one getting tired of seeing pics of Thibeadeau, am i?

The images used in recent articles are a part of T-Nation’s brand, what they want to project to it’s readers. The header images could be from a package the site purchased or obtained the license for continuous and repeated use without further expense. (A fee typically goes to the photographer when a model is featured for an article.)

However, T-Nation does regularly feature “normal guy[s] training”. John Paul Catanzaro’s article “Step-Up For Muscular Development” ( http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/stepup_for_muscular_development ) has a header image of a naturally attainable physique, and a separate model is demonstrating various movements throughout.

T-Nation also features some user members in the Indigo Project live coaching and social media releases. These are men and women who are fit (for inspiration as Iron Dwarf pointed out) but in different stages of muscular development. They have journals, interact with other members, and contribute in other sections throughout the forum. They are real people who read and use the site just like you and I. You can’t get more normal than that.

the videos are usually more “average”

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
If this were an aspiring rock musician forum, wouldn’t it make sense to place rock STARS up there as something to motivate the members?

It’s good to have high goals.[/quote]

poor analogy - it is not the same.

also what does “high goals” mean? in theory you can become a top rock star with talent and practice. it is literally impossible to become a top amateur BB never mind get on the O stage never mind win the O without drugs.

personally i don’t really care but ultimately i do think it is bullshit - no supplement or exercise will ever make you look like kai greene even with the best genetics in history unless you also take loads of drugs.

the truth is that a large percentage particularly younger and/or new trainers do not know this.

steroid use is so rife that people’s perceptions are very skewed as to what’s possible.

[quote]fncj wrote:
T-Nation also features some user members in the Indigo Project live coaching and social media releases. These are men and women who are fit (for inspiration as Iron Dwarf pointed out) but in different stages of muscular development. They have journals, interact with other members, and contribute in other sections throughout the forum. They are real people who read and use the site just like you and I. You can’t get more normal than that.[/quote]

a number clearly take PEDs

that is not ‘normal’

it’s always the skinny/fat kids who cry ‘steeeeroids’ when they see a guy that is jacked.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

personally i don’t really care but ultimately i do think it is bullshit - no supplement or exercise will ever make you look like kai greene even with the best genetics in history unless you also take loads of drugs.

the truth is that a large percentage particularly younger and/or new trainers do not know this.

steroid use is so rife that people’s perceptions are very skewed as to what’s possible.

[/quote]

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree here. The average person thinks anyone much bigger than Urkle is on steroids. Yes, I would say most would “assume” Kai Greene is using steroids just like they assume most of us here do.

No, I don’t understand why someone would be turned off by the photos unless they literally felt belittled by them.

I see the same attitude in daily life from many people. Seeing a really built guy pisses them off…and it ain’t because of their moral objection to “steroids”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[/quote]

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree here. The average person thinks anyone much bigger than Urkle is on steroids. Yes, I would say most would “assume” Kai Greene is using steroids just like they assume most of us here do.

No, I don’t understand why someone would be turned off by the photos unless they literally felt belittled by them.

I see the same attitude in daily life from many people. Seeing a really built guy pisses them off…and it ain’t because of their moral objection to “steroids”.[/quote]

< - - - - - - - agrees with the Professor - - - - - - !

[quote]spk wrote:
on the front page of T-Nation there are always good articles on training, but is there ever a photo of a normal guy training??? its always a guy taking a pound of roids a day. guys are all bigger than a house.[/quote]
I just double-checked the last 15 articles. On average, 1/3 to 1/2 of the images in the articles are of “normal guys” (meaning, not IFBB pros/similar physiques). For the actual front page photos that appear the day the article is put up, 6 or 7 of the last 15 aren’t IFBB pros/similar physiques.

So, yeah, I don’t know what you’re talking about.

This is simply an ignorant and naive comment.

Show me where in any article an author states something along the lines of, “Pictured is Jay Cutler during our session training together. Boy oh boy, did he barely survive the 8-week program explained in this article.” Images are generally for inspiration and/or exercise technique reference. Brad PItt is in a commercial for Chanel. Does he really wear the perfume?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I’m sorry, but I have to disagree here. The average person thinks anyone much bigger than Urkle is on steroids.[/quote]

I should have been clearer

I was referring to the “average” person on a site like this, not the guy in the street.

A large number of members here openly thought that one other member was natural, showing ignorance is extremely common.

I don’t want to say the member’s name.

That kind of example is common. Yeah Kai Greene etc is clearly on PEDs but people generally are really clueless about other smaller guys thinking ita genetics or hard work or whey protein or all 3.

are people really complaining about 1/2 nekkid dudes? You do realize the “Figure Athletes” pics have not been updated in a long time. Priorities people.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Images are generally for inspiration and/or exercise technique reference. Brad PItt is in a commercial for Chanel. Does he really wear the perfume?[/quote]

sorry this analogy makes no sense either.

BB articles are ultimately about appearance.

using pics of guys on PEDs ultimately is misleading cos the exercises and supps listed in the article will NEVER make you look like the pic.

the chanel analogy does not compute at all.

I’M average. I sure as hell don’t want to see “average” in the articles or magazines that I read.

I’m with ID on this. People are inspired the most by people who do things they will never come close to achieving. It pushes us to test the limits of our potential. If anyone is butthurt that they will never look like Kai Greene and causes them to train with less intensity or passion then they need to find a new hobby.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Images are generally for inspiration and/or exercise technique reference. Brad PItt is in a commercial for Chanel. Does he really wear the perfume?[/quote]

sorry this analogy makes no sense either.

BB articles are ultimately about appearance.

using pics of guys on PEDs ultimately is misleading cos the exercises and supps listed in the article will NEVER make you look like the pic.

the chanel analogy does not compute at all.
[/quote]

Is this really a surprise to you? Shampoo commercials show people with professionally styled hair. Makeup commercials show models. Fast food commercials never show fat people chowing down on their food.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
I’M average. I sure as hell don’t want to see “average” in the articles or magazines that I read.[/quote]