T Nation

Front Loaded Squat Help

I have noticed that most examples I have seen show a front loaded squat with the bar across the shoulder area- I have not been doing my squats with the weight that high as it gives me bar burn. I usually lay the bar across my nipples and cradle it with my elbows, wrapping my hands across the front in a criss cross fashion- am I still getting the max effectiveness of the FLS?

Is there something I can do to get my proper squat bar resting area able to handle the bar?

No your not getting the “Max effect” your drasitically changing the center of gravity and wont have nar the stimulus on he core.

Its a matter of geting used to it bro and really get the bar in close choking you and it should rest on your delts. Then keep it TIGHT so it doesnt move and create a burn.

Phill

What you are doing is close to a Zercher squat. You cradle the weight in your arms and squat.

[photo]4188[/photo]

A front squat is with the bar across the shoulders.

[photo]3601[/photo]

You just have to get used to the weight. You’ll find that if you try to keep the bar off your shoulders like that you will not be able to use very much. I’ve got other pictures and a video in my profile.

-folly

[quote]advanracing62 wrote:
II usually lay the bar across my nipples and cradle it with my elbows, wrapping my hands across the front in a criss cross fashion[/quote]

Isn’t that a Zercher Squat?

Zurcher Squat?? hmmm… did not know that. Ok, so basically “nut up” and just get used to the bar.
By burn, I mean the waffle pattern is pressed into my flesh and remains for some time- like a month… I will work on the technique though. Thanks!!!
oh, if you have info on Zurcher, i’ll be happy to learn.

[quote]advanracing62 wrote:
By burn, I mean the waffle pattern is pressed into my flesh and remains for some time- like a month… I will work on the technique though. Thanks!!!
[/quote]

I’ve got waffle patterns all over my shoulders from back squats. Love them :stuck_out_tongue:

Waffle Patterns are the shit…I get them on my chest a lot when I do Zercher Rack Lockouts

guess they must be a badgge of honour, so to speak… well then, I’ll show mine off with pride :wink:
Thanks Fellas!!!

i have poor wrist flexiblity, so when i do front squats, i criss cross my arms while the bar is on my delts at neck level mabye that will make it a bit more comfortable?

That does make more comfortable but what I recommend is that you start warming up without doing the criss-cross on deltoid at neck level. Why do I recommend that? because it will help you improve wrist flexibility. Also stretch your forearms.