T Nation

Front Loaded Intense Cardio (Running)


#1

I recently returned to running, I've been following a modified couch to 5k template. And guess what I'm running 10 minute miles? So damn slow. I said intense because my max HR is 155-160. Walking on the dreadmill, I'm about 110 or so.

I run before hitting the iron and sweat like a whore in church, and seem to have an elevated heart rate while lifting. Now if I lift without doing cardio first I rarely break a sweat. So here is my question. Is there any enhanced value in front loading intense cardio before lifting? I kinda feel there is.

Please critique my broscience!


#2

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I recently returned to running, I’ve been following a modified couch to 5k template. And guess what I’m running 10 minute miles? So damn slow. [/quote]

Welcome to my world…


#3

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I recently returned to running, I’ve been following a modified couch to 5k template. And guess what I’m running 10 minute miles? So damn slow. [/quote]

Welcome to my world…[/quote]

Ha, it’s definitely humbling. I don’t think my ego could handle doing a road race or anything competitive.

I ran for about a half mile at 7:30 mile pace, and the next day. Well I could barely walk…back to plodding! On a positive note, I don’t get out of breath so easily during day to day activities.


#4

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I run before hitting the iron and sweat like a whore in church, and seem to have an elevated heart rate while lifting. Now if I lift without doing cardio first I rarely break a sweat. So here is my question. Is there any enhanced value in front loading intense cardio before lifting? I kinda feel there is.
[/quote]
What do you feel the enhanced value is?


#5

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I run before hitting the iron and sweat like a whore in church, and seem to have an elevated heart rate while lifting. Now if I lift without doing cardio first I rarely break a sweat. So here is my question. Is there any enhanced value in front loading intense cardio before lifting? I kinda feel there is.
[/quote]
What do you feel the enhanced value is?[/quote]

Seems like there is a carry over effect from continued exercise. This could be a case of perceived vs actual work at play also.


#6

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I run before hitting the iron and sweat like a whore in church, and seem to have an elevated heart rate while lifting. Now if I lift without doing cardio first I rarely break a sweat. So here is my question. Is there any enhanced value in front loading intense cardio before lifting? I kinda feel there is.
[/quote]
What do you feel the enhanced value is?[/quote]

Seems like there is a carry over effect from continued exercise. This could be a case of perceived vs actual work at play also.
[/quote]

You could well be right. “Carry over effect” seems like a pretty vague description though, what specific type of effect are you experiencing?


#7

I agree with you 100%. It really does “feel” like something good is happening when you do some running first. And I do sweat a lot when I start workouts this way. In high school I played sports, and in every practice, regardless of the sport, when ran or did something to get going before we started more specific sports stuff.

I kinda feel more satisfied with my workout if I’m sweating a lot. Ridding the body of impurities is good for you.

It’s difficult to lift after running for the first week or two, but then you(or at least I) get used to it REAL fast. There has to be some kind of benefit there. Also, once you get accustomed to it, its like the best warm up.

Running/Cardio is not as much fun to me as lifting. If I run first, I can’t skip it.

Back in the Dark Ages (pre-2000) they used to tell us that you’d start burning fat after 20 minutes of exercise. Regardless of the specifics, 20 minutes then fat burn. I feel like this run first set up was pretty common back then.


#8

Although I don’t run much; I’ve always done my cardio work (20-30 Min.) prior to lifting.


#9

Hard cardio/ HIIT saps my muscle endurance if done before weights even for the upper body lifts; I find I just can’t get as many reps in. I think I might be able to fix this with better workout nutrition, but I have not found any reason not to just lift first and do my HIIT or cardio afterwards.


#10

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Although I don’t run much; I’ve always done my cardio work (20-30 Min.) prior to lifting. [/quote]

I think got the idea of doing cardio first from one of your posts. I feel better while lifting and don’t skip cardio.


#11

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I run before hitting the iron and sweat like a whore in church, and seem to have an elevated heart rate while lifting. Now if I lift without doing cardio first I rarely break a sweat. So here is my question. Is there any enhanced value in front loading intense cardio before lifting? I kinda feel there is.
[/quote]
What do you feel the enhanced value is?[/quote]

Seems like there is a carry over effect from continued exercise. This could be a case of perceived vs actual work at play also.
[/quote]

You could well be right. “Carry over effect” seems like a pretty vague description though, what specific type of effect are you experiencing?[/quote]

higher heart rate, much more perspiration than weights only workouts.


#12

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
Hard cardio/ HIIT saps my muscle endurance if done before weights even for the upper body lifts; I find I just can’t get as many reps in. I think I might be able to fix this with better workout nutrition, but I have not found any reason not to just lift first and do my HIIT or cardio afterwards. [/quote]

I eat a large chicken breast, potato, and some veggies before the gym and a protein shake afterwards. It is no fun running, but I don’t feel weak or have the nasty gym hangover.