From Urkel to Stefan with Olympic Lifting!

For the past few months I’ve been working out pretty consistently and my life has changed in more ways than one. This is the strongest I’ve ever been (still weak lol) but I’ve made tremendous progress for myself and have learned A LOT about lifting from lifting, reading, and from members on this forum.

First off I want to give a shout out to Evolv, ActivitiesGuy, T3hPwnisher, and dagill2 for dropping some real knowledge on my head about lifting and being open to answer my questions. They helped set the foundation for me to be successful.

During this time I discovered Olympic weightlifting and I have fallen in love with the sport. I want to compete at a high level and I want to win! I’m already 29, so instead of waiting for certain things to happen, I’m jumping in 100%. My goal is compete at a national level and with hard work and some luck along the way be able to compete for a national championship. The goal is to have a 300kg total in under 6 years!

I want to compete in the 69kg/77kg class. I weigh 73kg right now, but have a lil bit of fat on me so as I lean out and add muscle I’ll see where that takes me.

I will be working in 12 week blocks and adjust my programming based on that. To start my journey I will be doing a modified Dan John’s beginner program. I agree with his approach and I truly believe the more you practice, the better you get. I think I could do this program for more than 12 weeks, but I’ll start with that 12 week block to see where my #'s are at with the lifts. Once the weight starts getting up there my C&J will drop to a 8x1. This is what it’ll look like:

MONDAY
-Snatch 8x2
-C&J 8x1
-Back Squat 5x5
-OHP 3x5
-BB Row 3x10
-Trunk Work

WEDNESDAY
-Snatch 8x2
-C&J 8x1
-FS 5x5
-Clean Pull 3x5
-Pull Ups 5xF
-Trunk Work

FRIDAY
-Snatch 8x2
-C&J 8x1
-Back Squat 5x5
-OHP 5x3
-BB Row 3x10
-Trunk Work

AT the end of my 12 weeks I’m going to do a “mock meet” and try to go 6/6 just myself. This will be a good point that I can deload for a week from all the squatting.

I’m ready to go on this journey head on. First 12 weeks here we go!

TUESDAY 8/18/15

#'s in lbs until I get use to kg.

Snatch
45x2
45x2
45x2
45x2
45x2
45x2
45x2
45x2

C&J
95x2
95x2
95x2
95x2
95x2
95x2
95x2
95x2

Back Squat
95x5
115x5
120x5
135x5
145x5

Overhead Press
115x5
115x5
115x5

BB Row (Strict)
115x10
125x10
125x10

Abs + Hypers

Comments: Today was a great day. I can finally do FULL snatches. I’m going the linear progression route for a bit and will adjust accordingly. C&J had me sweating like crazy by the end of my 16 reps lol. But I think learning how to snatch first, helped me get down the timing for how to clean properly. I think the jerk came pretty naturally to me.

Today was my first day back squatting with added weight in a long time, but it felt SO GOOD! I think FS all this time and for the past week really thinking about activating my glutes/staying tight has made a huge difference. I’m going to keep ramping for 2 weeks until I can stabilize at a certain weight. Plus all the aggressive hip flexor/hamstring/calve stretching has basically removed all of my buttwink.

I couldn’t believe I did 115-3x5 for OHP with it being my 4th exercise! I was so pumped lol. I haven’t done anything above 5 reps in so LONG that doing 3x10 for the rows had my back on fire. I think the back is meant to get hit with more volume, just like legs though. By the time I got to abs and hypers I was so tired, but I pushed through.

Can’t wait for Thursday to get after it again!

WED 8/19/15

3 Mile Walk

THURSDAY 8/20/15

-Snatch
55x2
55x2
55x2
55x2
55x2
55x2
55x2
55x2

-C&J
100x2
100x2
100x2
100x2
100x2
100x2
100x2
100x2

-FS
135x5
145x5
155x5
135x5
135x5

-Clean Pull
205x5
205x5
205x5

-Abs + Hypers

COMMENTS: Today was a GOOD workout. Snatches are getting crisper from the reps and C&J feel good. It felt heavier but not too bad. I have to get consistent with my back leg positioning in the jerk. Front squats felt the best they have felt in weeks. I think both activating my glutes/abs and getting stronger in general have really helped in that aspect. Today was my first day doing Clean Pulls and my god they are WAY harder than normal deadlifts. Using that knee flexion first 205 felt CRAZY heavy for my hamstrings lol. 205 in a normal DL feels so easy. But this will be good for me. Overall great workout. After my Tuesday workout my knees felt a bit sore, but I thinking when you include all the reps for snatches, cleans, squats with the warm ups that is most amount of “squatting” I’ve ever done. But today my knees felt fresh and ready to go. I think walking/hiking/swimming in my off days will do wonders for now.

Always impressed by your attitude, keep it up.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Always impressed by your attitude, keep it up.[/quote]

Thanks man! I’m getting after it, that’s for sure!

SATURDAY 8/22/15

2 Mile walk

SUNDAY 8/23/15

Snatch
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2

C&J
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2
105x2

Back Squat
135x5
155x5
155x5
155x5
155x5

Overhead Press
120x3
120x3
120x3
120x3
120x3

BB Row (Strict)
135x10
135x10
135x10

Abs + Hypers

Comments: Today was a good day. I felt strong overall even though it was one of those days I was feeling a bit lazy to get to working out. Today was the first day that staying tight (arms locked) in the snatch and really making sure I have hip contact stood out. I think this is a good thing about using a bit more weight, it makes you adjust your technique properly.

Cleans felt really good. They started to feel heavy at the end, but I pushed through it. My C&J feels way better than my snatches, but I think it’s because the C&J is the easier movement compared to the snatch.

Back squats were a mixed back. First 2 sets felt heavy, but then last 3 didn’t feel as bad. I don’t think I had much butt wink and my lower back does not hurt, so I think I’m doing it right.

Today was the first time I’ve ever done something 5x3, and I’m glad I was able to get to 120lb OHP this way. It honestly didn’t feel that bad at all. I think I’m noticing that sometimes I take WAY shorter breaks than I should. I need to shoot for 3 min at least between.

I just need to stay with the aggressive stretching daily and making sure I do my cardio on my off days. Just from 3 days of this new routine and cutting carbs out of my lunches I’m already can tell I’m starting to shed some of this excess fat. I think I need to lose a solid 10-15lbs of fat to be at that bf% that I can see my abs clearly without flexing. As long as I continue to get stronger and I’m eating clean I’m not going to stress over it though.

I’m going to start lifting Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday for a few weeks and see how it goes. Can’t wait until Tuesday!

MONDAY 8/24/15

DB Bench 2x10 - 50lbs
DB Hammer Curls 2x10 - 15lbs
DB Tricep Extension 2x10 - 20lbs
DB Shoulder Circuit 3x10 - 5lbs (Side, Rear Raises)
Row Machine 3x10 - 120lbs

2 Mile Walk

I have a gym at the office that has DBs that go up to 50 lbs, has a bike, 2 treadmills, and one of those “bow-flex” type machines with a leg press/rows/bench, etc. Since I usually lift in the AM I figure the days I lift (This week will be a bit different) during my lunches I will do some more “hypertrophy/bodybuilder” type work. Just a basic 30 min session that will be more arm/chest/back work. If I feel like this affects my Olympic lifting sessions negatively I’ll just drop it. This is just to hit some of the muscles that Olympic lifting doesn’t really hit. Plus I’m one of those people that need a bit more direct arm work. I’ll play around with different setups for a few weeks and see how it goes.

TUESDAY 8/25/15

Walked 1 Mile at Lunch

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
MONDAY 8/24/15

DB Bench 2x10 - 50lbs

2 Mile Walk

I have a gym at the office that has DBs that go up to 50 lbs, has a bike, 2 treadmills, and one of those “bow-flex” type machines with a leg press/rows/bench, etc. Since I usually lift in the AM I figure the days I lift (This week will be a bit different) during my lunches I will do some more “hypertrophy/bodybuilder” type work. Just a basic 30 min session that will be more arm/chest/back work. If I feel like this affects my Olympic lifting sessions negatively I’ll just drop it. This is just to hit some of the muscles that Olympic lifting doesn’t really hit. Plus I’m one of those people that need a bit more direct arm work. I’ll play around with different setups for a few weeks and see how it goes.[/quote]

OK. The following advice is worth about two cents. With that said: I don’t think I would bother with this stuff if I were in your position, with your stated goals.

Look, I get it. I don’t like taking days off entirely from exercise, and I have done almost this exact workout many times in a hotel gym over the years (when traveling, I often stay at a Hampton Inn, which almost always has a set of dumbbells from 5-50 pounds in the exercise room). If you were traveling for an extended period and just wanted to “get something in” for a few days, I think this would be fine, better than being totally sedentary for weeks at a time. But given that your stated goal in the very first post of this log is becoming a highly competitive Olympic weightlifter, I would say that this type of work contributes minimally, if at all, to that pursuit.

If you really must do something besides your Oly lifting, I think you should try to find an activity that will compliment the Oly lifting a little better. Yoga, or some other kind of flexibility work, could be useful in developing / maintaining the necessary flexibility required to perform full squat snatches and full cleans as you progress in weight. Heck, even 15 minutes on the bike could be justified as light recovery cardio. But the DB work listed here is an extra bit of stress on the elbow and shoulder that may not be worth whatever benefit is derived from it (once you’re doing snatches and C & J with more serious weight, that is).

Will this make a big difference in the early going? Probably not. Perhaps it’s even worth doing for a few months to add some overall mass. But my gut feeling is that - if you are serious about the pursuit of Oly lifting above all else - you would be best served nixing this stuff, and focusing 100 percent on your Oly training and recovery for your Oly lifting workouts.

However, if you’re an Activities Guy like me who is content to just, uh, do a bunch of stuff at a middling level, then feel free to keep doing this workout. I am absolutely epitomizing the concept of “Do what I say, not what I do” in this thread. It’s a free country, pump work is fun.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
OK. The following advice is worth about two cents. With that said: I don’t think I would bother with this stuff if I were in your position, with your stated goals.

Look, I get it. I don’t like taking days off entirely from exercise, and I have done almost this exact workout many times in a hotel gym over the years (when traveling, I often stay at a Hampton Inn, which almost always has a set of dumbbells from 5-50 pounds in the exercise room). If you were traveling for an extended period and just wanted to “get something in” for a few days, I think this would be fine, better than being totally sedentary for weeks at a time. But given that your stated goal in the very first post of this log is becoming a highly competitive Olympic weightlifter, I would say that this type of work contributes minimally, if at all, to that pursuit.

If you really must do something besides your Oly lifting, I think you should try to find an activity that will compliment the Oly lifting a little better. Yoga, or some other kind of flexibility work, could be useful in developing / maintaining the necessary flexibility required to perform full squat snatches and full cleans as you progress in weight. Heck, even 15 minutes on the bike could be justified as light recovery cardio. But the DB work listed here is an extra bit of stress on the elbow and shoulder that may not be worth whatever benefit is derived from it (once you’re doing snatches and C & J with more serious weight, that is).

Will this make a big difference in the early going? Probably not. Perhaps it’s even worth doing for a few months to add some overall mass. But my gut feeling is that - if you are serious about the pursuit of Oly lifting above all else - you would be best served nixing this stuff, and focusing 100 percent on your Oly training and recovery for your Oly lifting workouts.

However, if you’re an Activities Guy like me who is content to just, uh, do a bunch of stuff at a middling level, then feel free to keep doing this workout. I am absolutely epitomizing the concept of “Do what I say, not what I do” in this thread. It’s a free country, pump work is fun.[/quote]

Hey man I appreciate the feedback! You want to hear the funniest thing though? Literally today when I woke up my left shoulder was hurting a bit and it hasn’t hurt in months and right away I knew what the culprit was lol. I told myself, I got to drop all the extra stuff. I know for sure I’m getting enough work in for my arms with all the jerks, presses and pulls already lol.

I figure once I get to that level where I know my pressing strength is limiting my jerks, or pulling strength is limiting my cleans, etc, then I can add something else in, but for now I should just stick to the basics and recovery properly.

I agree with your statement. I think yoga plus some cardio on my off days would be really beneficial for me. I never thought of it in that way that I should do something that compliments the Oly lifting. I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

BTW I did start doing yoga once a week after you gave me that insight on your log and my hamstrings have thanked me for it! But I think doing it some more, do I don’t get bored on my off days would be the way to go! Thanks again man, I always appreciate the advice and insight!

TUESDAY 8/25/15

Snatch
70x–>I attempted this, but decided to stay at 65 for a 2 more sessions.
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2
65x2

C&J
110x2
110x2
110x2
110x2
110x2
110x2
110x2
110x2

Front Squat
135x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5

Clean Pull
205x5
205x5
205x3

Abs - Leg Raises 3x15

COMMENTS:

Today’s workout was killer. My shoulder was hurting a bit today and 70lbs just wasn’t having it. My left arm kept bending, so I decided to stay with 65lbs and get my reps cleaner. Today I was making more hip contact and god damn my pelvis was hurting lol. It got better as the sets went on. I HAVE to remember to keep the bar close at all times. I need to go get 10lb bumpers so I can pull from the floor. I’ve been using 2 5lb plates and get into “floating position”. I’ll probably get a set of 10lb bumpers in the next 2 weeks.

Cleans were awesome today! I haven’t recorded myself, but I can feel that I’m dropping under the bar with good speed. My foot positioning was on the jerks were a bit inconsistent today, but I think that was due to overthinking and fatigue. I understand why Dan John says 8x1 for the C&J. I think I can go a few more sessions/linear progression with the C&J before I need to drop it down to 8x1 sets.

Front squats felt GOOD! I was so tired already but pushed through. I can tell every since I started thinking about staying tight and my glutes, the weight has felt lighter. Still heavy, but I think that’s due to fatigue. If I was still doing squats first I think I’d be able to handle more.

I almost did not want to do the clean pulls. It was already about ~1 hr 15 min into my workout at this point and I was gassed. But I did it. I had to do more sets to get my 15 reps, but I was ok with doing that today.

I’ve been playing around with some different ab exercises since I workout from how. Today I decided to do leg raises. I lye down on my back and put my arms overhead and grab the barbell. Then I do controlled leg raises making sure to really concentrate on my abs. My abs definitely got worked!

I ate a huge dinner afterwards lol. Overall I felt good and I’m feeling good from this programming right now. My traps are exploding in a matter of just 4 sessions lol.

Can’t wait until Thursday!

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
MONDAY 8/24/15

DB Bench 2x10 - 50lbs

2 Mile Walk

I have a gym at the office that has DBs that go up to 50 lbs, has a bike, 2 treadmills, and one of those “bow-flex” type machines with a leg press/rows/bench, etc. Since I usually lift in the AM I figure the days I lift (This week will be a bit different) during my lunches I will do some more “hypertrophy/bodybuilder” type work. Just a basic 30 min session that will be more arm/chest/back work. If I feel like this affects my Olympic lifting sessions negatively I’ll just drop it. This is just to hit some of the muscles that Olympic lifting doesn’t really hit. Plus I’m one of those people that need a bit more direct arm work. I’ll play around with different setups for a few weeks and see how it goes.[/quote]

However, if you’re an Activities Guy like me who is content to just, uh, do a bunch of stuff at a middling level, then feel free to keep doing this workout. I am absolutely epitomizing the concept of “Do what I say, not what I do” in this thread. It’s a free country, pump work is fun.[/quote]

I would echo all of this 100%. Apart from pump work being fun. Pump work is boring.

I find I make my best progress with minimalist training.

On a side note, I find rowing machines to be about the best warm up for O-lifting when I was doing them. Followed by kB swings/snatches. If you really are itching for stuff to do on off days, these might not be a bad place to start while still keeping your training pretty focused.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
I would echo all of this 100%. Apart from pump work being fun. Pump work is boring.

On a side note, I find rowing machines to be about the best warm up for O-lifting when I was doing them. Followed by kB swings/snatches. If you really are itching for stuff to do on off days, these might not be a bad place to start while still keeping your training pretty focused.[/quote]

You know what’s funny. When I did the curls, I was thinking in my head “Damn this boring” lol. So easy to curl. Much rather go through the pain of squatting or something more complex.

But yup man I have 1 35lb KB. I’m thinking I’ll start using it to warm up and to condition. The swings definitely get my heart rate going!

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
MONDAY 8/24/15

DB Bench 2x10 - 50lbs

2 Mile Walk

On a side note, I find rowing machines to be about the best warm up for O-lifting when I was doing them. Followed by kB swings/snatches. If you really are itching for stuff to do on off days, these might not be a bad place to start while still keeping your training pretty focused.[/quote]

Re: minimalist training, I agree with a caveat.

I’m not against the use of sensible assistance exercise, or even occasionally doing stuff just for fun. I do plenty of workouts that are “eh, I just felt like doing this today, so I did that” workouts.

However, when the trainee lists a specific goal of “be good at Olympic weightlifting” that’s when I start to get a little “ehhhh, does that really help the trainee?” at this type of discussion.

Dan John has a very simple maxim, somewhere, of

“Look at your training. Look at your goals. Does your training match your goals?”

Since I have the very vague “Be fit and capable and sorta strong” goal, I can make myself justify damn near anything! I win! But when OP (or anyone) lists a specific goal of “Become a really good Olympic weightlifter” then there seems to be a limited place for those kind of extras.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
MONDAY 8/24/15

DB Bench 2x10 - 50lbs

2 Mile Walk

Re: minimalist training, I agree with a caveat.

I’m not against the use of sensible assistance exercise, or even occasionally doing stuff just for fun. I do plenty of workouts that are “eh, I just felt like doing this today, so I did that” workouts.

However, when the trainee lists a specific goal of “be good at Olympic weightlifting” that’s when I start to get a little “ehhhh, does that really help the trainee?” at this type of discussion.

“Look at your training. Look at your goals. Does your training match your goals?”

Since I have the very vague “Be fit and capable and sorta strong” goal, I can make myself justify damn near anything! I win! But when OP (or anyone) lists a specific goal of “Become a really good Olympic weightlifter” then there seems to be a limited place for those kind of extras.
[/quote]
I think, as is often the case, the two of us agree on this.

“The goal is to keep the goal, the goal”

I feel this is something both myself and OP find to be an issue on occasions.

In this particular case, I think conditioning will help anyone, and I can’t think of a much better way for an olympic lifter than kB work or rowing.

[/quote]

I have to remind myself of this EVERYTIME I get some sort of idea!!!

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

“The goal is to keep the goal, the goal”

I feel this is something both myself and OP find to be an issue on occasions.

In this particular case, I think conditioning will help anyone, and I can’t think of a much better way for an olympic lifter than kB work or rowing.[/quote]

For sure man! I always have to remind myself of this now. But yes you are right. My conditioning is HORRIBLE. So I’m going to attack that a bit without affecting my lifting for sure!

THURSDAY 8/27/15

Walked for 3 miles SLOW pace from 7pm-8pm.