From Urkel to Stefan with Front Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press

#1 RULE if you are going to start a program. STICK TO THE PROGRAM.

DO NOT TRY TO DO TOO MUCH AT ONCE. Trust the process and it will work.

I’m coming back to the basics. Doing this until my mobility is at the place that I can transition FULLY into Olympic lifting with no worries.

Now that I have my own home gym with just a squat stand, I had to alter how I workout. But this will make me cut out the crap and focus on the basics like I should be.

Shout out to Evolv, who is a member here. He took the program I posted and asked about and turned it into a much more effective split. For a few weeks I tweaked it, but over analysis led me back to it!

OLY Lifts: I’m going the Russian route. I’m learning the snatch first and will spend the next 12-16 weeks just focusing on that. Once I can do a FULL snatch, I’ll then add in the jerk for a few weeks and then will transition into the clean variants before the full C&J.

WORKOUT 1
-Front Squats 3x5
-OHP 3x5 + Pull Ups
-BB Row 5x5
-Abs + Planks
*GHR

WORKOUT 2
-Back Squat 3x5
-Shoulder Circuit 3x10
-Deadlift 3x5
-Abs + Planks
-Farmers Walks 3xF

WORKOUT 3
-Front Squat 3x5
-OHP 3x5 + Pull Ups
-BB Row 5x5
-Abs + Planks
*RDL

So a typical week would look like:

MONDAY - Lift
TUESDAY - Cardio/Oly Lift Practice
WEDNESDAY - Lift
THURSDAY - Cardio/Oly Lift Practice
FRIDAY - Lift
SATURDAY - Cardio/Oly Lift Practice
SUNDAY - Netflix

Current Stats:

28 years old
5’6 160 lbs
18%-25% Body Fat

BIG 3 GOALS (short term):

Front Squat 225
Deadlift 315
Overhead Press 135

Awesome dude, I’m subscribed! Thanks for the shout out. I think Netflix Sunday is the best part of your split :slight_smile:

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Awesome dude, I’m subscribed! Thanks for the shout out. I think Netflix Sunday is the best part of your split :)[/quote]

Oh yeah got to have an actually rest day. Too many documentaries to catch up on lol.

Forgot to post this last night, but here was the first day:

Wednesday, March 25/2015 - 730PM-910PM

10 Min - Walk on incline
Limber 11 + Extra mobility (I take literally 25-30 Min to mobilize, but it helps me get ready to lift with good form)

*Power Clean - Did not do this because I don’t know how to yet. Learning next week.
Deadlift - 135x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5
Front Squat - 45x10, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5 (Paused at bottom for all 3 sets)
Pull Ups - 5, 5, 5, 4
Farmers Walk - 225 on Trap Bar - 25yd dashes 4x
Paloof Press - 10, 10, 10 (@ 17.5lbs)
Hang from bar - 1 Min

Overall really efficient workout! I kept the deadlifts light because I deadlifted on Monday heavy. But this is the new plan so I’ll just be DLing on wednesdays. The paloof press is definitely a keeper. This will help with stabilizing my core no doubt. I think if I can consistently get out of the gym within 90 minutes, then at some point I’ll start going to the gym in the AMs instead. Well see though. Can’t wait for Friday.

No cardio today since right after work going to a friends house to watch the NCAA games. I’ll be going for a nice brisk walk for 45 min in the AM so I’m not too concerned about it. My main thing is to make sure my diet is in check and that I DONT miss any lifting days.

I really like the title of your log

I’m in! Looking forward to seeing the transformation!

Haha yeah when I was thinking of transformations, I was like damn Family Matters had the best transformation lol.

Friday, March 27/2015 - 730PM-900PM

10 Min - Walk on incline
Limber 11 + Extra mobility

Front Squat - 45x10, 95x5, 115x5, 125x5, 135x5
OHP - 45x10, 65x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5
BB Row - 45x10, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5
Dips (BW) - 15, 15, 6
Ab Roller - 12, 10, 6
+Hot Tub - 10 Min
+Steam room - 10 Min

Overall great workout. Today was more of a feeler to get ready for the big start Monday. I’ve never done BB Rows until today, so I wanted to make sure my form was right. As of Monday I’ll be doing 3x5 and not ramping for anything. Today though was efficient and got me excited to REALLY get started on Monday. Sunday I’m going to have to meal prep for the week. The main thing I found out today was how much I’ve been under eating. I’m going to keep within 2000-2500 calories per day to start with. I don’t want to calorie count but I know what 2000 cals healthy looks like in a day. So I’ll start with that and add more as I need to. I’m guessing at some point I’ll probably be more in that 2500-3000 range.

Also like this log title.

Kudos for choosing a goal and program and committing to it. Keep up the good work. I’ll be following.

Thanks man appreciate it!

So Saturday I walked for 45 min in the AM before breakfast. I had an active day moving around a lot so that felt good.

Today (Sunday) went to costco in the AM and got leg of lamb, halibut, 2lb bag of greens(spinach, kale, etc), box of apples, box of buck choy, bag of those small oranges, bananas, and some cucumbers. I already have potatoes, eggs, and some other veggies at home so I figured I’ll be set for the week. I meal prepped partially. Will have to do Wed-Fri lunches on Tuesday. I figured for my goals this how my meal plan should look over the course of the next year:

BREAKFAST
2 Eggs (over easy)
1 Banana
1 Piece of meat (pork chop, chicken breast/thighs, etc.)
1 Cup Diced Potatoes
1 Orange
Water

LUNCH
1 Big ass piece of meat (halibut or lamb)
1 HUGE bowl of veggies (greens + bell peppers mixed + carrots)
1 Apple

DINNER (Post-Workout)
1 Big ass piece of meat (halibut of lamb)
1 HUGE bowl of veggies (broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms)
1 Cup Diced Red Potatoes

I usually do 3 main meals and snack on stuff if I feel like it. So I figured during my snacks to eat the usual almonds, fruits, cucumbers, celery + peanut butter, etc. I think I can eat like this for a while and just increase when I know it’s time.

This week the weather should be changing so I’m hoping to start getting a 45 min walk in every morning first thing. Well see how that goes though.

Monday, March 30/2015 - 800PM-930PM

Limber 11 + Wrist Mobility

Front Squat - 45x10, 95x5, 115x3, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
OHP - 45x5, 95x2, 100x5, 100x5, 100x5
BB Row - 45x5, 95x5, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5
Dips (BW) - 15, 10, 10
Leg Raises - 12, 12, 12

Super efficient workout. I felt like I sorta flew through this workout only taking 2-3 minute breaks. I know FOR SURE I need to keep eating like I did today. Squats felt heavier than usual today. I think it’s because my diet hasn’t been up to par just yet. But once I brought my grip closer in (pinkys on inside rings) my whole stance felt a lot stronger. I’m debating if I should get Olympic lifting shoes, but I already bought a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes, so I think I’ll wait until I actually get into Oly lifting. Dips felt crazy heavy today for BW, but I think it was because of the short breaks and the fact that BB rows right before had my back feeling like it’s never been hit before. My erectors are DEFINITELY my weak point, but the rows + DL gonna fix that in a hurry!

I definitely can’t be working out super late like this anymore, messes up my whole sleep + eating schedule. I get off of work at 4pm M-F, so I need to just hit the gym right after work so I can be lifting by 5 and out of there by 6/630 to eat dinner by 7/730. Maybe even switch to a T/Th/Sat schedule eventually so I can get a lifting session in on a non work day. Well see how it goes. I’ll stick to going after work for now.

Tuesday, March 31/2015 - 530PM-700PM

Jump Rope 5 Min
Limber 11 + Extra Mobility

Walked On 5 incline @ 3.0 speed for 20 min
Agility Ladder
Box Jumps 32" - Want to start here to make sure I’m using hip extension and not just bringing up my knees
Swim 20 Min
+Hot Tub 10 min
+Steam Room 10 min

I just felt lazy today, so instead of sprints I was like fuck it, I’ll just walk on incline and make sure to get a good swim in at the end. I HIGHLY recommend using the steam room/sauna if you guys have one. Especially for a evening session, you’ll sleep like a baby once you get home.

I also returned my NB Minimus and ordered some Adidas AdiPower in the white/grey. I figured if I’m going to get into Oly lifting I might as well start using these with my Front Squats, OHP, and Power Cleans. Plus it’ll help with keeping my back vertical since my ankle mobility is not FULLY up to par yet. I should be getting them by Monday, so can’t wait to break those suckers in!

Wednesday, April 1/2015 - 500PM-700PM

Deadlift - 135x5, 155x5, 185x3, 205x2, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5
Front Squat - 45x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5
Pull Ups - 5, 5, 4, 4
Farmers Walk - 230 on Trap Bar - 25yd dashes 4x
Paloof Press - 10, 10, 10 (@ 20lbs)

Overall good workout. I felt crazy tired by pull ups. I think it’s because I haven’t done 225 3x5 DL in a long time. I treat those more like heavy singles and let bar rest for 2 secs before pulling it up again.

The one thing I noticed after the workout was my left knee was hurting a bit and my lower felt a little weird. But this morning everything feels just fine. I’m thinking I should add GHRs & Leg Curls if I start getting knee pains. I’m going to video tape my exercises next week so I can make sure that my form is where it should be.

Lifted today in my new Adidas AdiPowers. Wow what a difference. Felt much more stable on the ground.

Friday, April 3/2015 - 600PM-730PM

Front Squat - 45x10, 95x5, 115x2, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
OHP - 45x10, 95x3, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5
Pendlay Row - 135x5, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
Dips - Did not do.
Ab Roller - Did not do.

I was on a super time crunch today, so I had to just make sure I got my 3 main compounds done. This will be minimized over the course of the year. I worked with intensity and focus so that felt good. The new shoes definitely helped keep my back vertical. I used them for all 3 compounds. Everything felt super good. I’ve been eating according to my meal plan so that’s probably why today I felt pretty strong too. The pendlays especially felt ridiculously light, but I’m going to add 5-10 lbs a week and not try to just jump up to crazy weights.

Monday, April 6/2015 - 500PM-600PM

60 Min Brisk Walk

Today was the NCAA Championship, so I shifted my lifting days to Tue/Thur/Sat this week to stay on schedule!

Tuesday, April 7/2015 - 400PM-545PM

Front Squat - 45x10, 95x5, 115x2, 135x1, 140x5, 140x5, 140x5 → New PR
OHP - 45x10, 95x3, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5
BB Row - 115x5, 125x5, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5 → New PR
Dips - 12, 10, 5
Leg Raises - 12, 12, 12

I used my Oly shoes on all my lifts. Everything felt super good. 2 new PRs so that feels good. But damn today by the time I got to dips my body was so tired. I think because of the heavy FS, heavy OHP, and heavy BB Row just taxed my body too much. Even sets 2 & 3 of the Leg Raises felt heavy with just BW! But overall I’m proud. I’ve been eating much better and I think that reflected how I felt during my lifts today. The one thing I noticed is that since my arms are so short my ROM for BB Rows felt kinda ridiculous lol. But it’s all good as long as my back is getting stronger.

At some point I think I’m going to need to add in RDL/GHR to keep my hamstrings feeling good. Next week I will start adding in Power Cleans.

Anyone got any good tutorials for Power Cleans? I think the concept of exploding with my hips and pulling just my traps up and letting my arms really not do any work is a bit foreign to me. I think I should start practicing clean pulls to just get use to that motion.

As others have mentioned, great title.

I also like the exercises you’ve chosen for your program…big props for moving into the world of Oly lifting. I’m no expert, by any means, but Cal Strength has the best video series that I’ve come across for learning both the clean and the snatch.

^Link above is to part 1/3 of the Cal Strength “How to Clean” series. Good luck!

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
2 new PRs so that feels good. But damn today by the time I got to dips my body was so tired. I think because of the heavy FS, heavy OHP, and heavy BB Row just taxed my body too much. Even sets 2 & 3 of the Leg Raises felt heavy with just BW! But overall I’m proud.
[/quote]
Great work so far man! 15 heavy sets of lifting is a lot for your body to adjust to. Don’t feel bad about not feeling fresh with the dips.

Also, this is just my opinion, do what you want of course. It won’t offend me. But… I don’t think you should worry about the GHR and RDLs right now. Focus on building that deadlift and front squat up. Keep adding weight to the bar and eating. Deadlifts and squats will do more for your hammies right now than wasting energy and time on RDLs/GHRs. Add them in later this year if you want, it is just not neccessary yet. Enjoy the simplicity of your training right now.

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Great work so far man! 15 heavy sets of lifting is a lot for your body to adjust to. Don’t feel bad about not feeling fresh with the dips.

Also, this is just my opinion, do what you want of course. It won’t offend me. But… I don’t think you should worry about the GHR and RDLs right now. Focus on building that deadlift and front squat up. Keep adding weight to the bar and eating. Deadlifts and squats will do more for your hammies right now than wasting energy and time on RDLs/GHRs. Add them in later this year if you want, it is just not neccessary yet. Enjoy the simplicity of your training right now. [/quote]

Thanks man appreciate it! Yeah man you are right. Gotta just stick to the basics until I’m at my short terms goals of 225/315/135, then at that point I’ll mix it up a bit. But until then I’ll just stick to it as written! Eating more has definitely made me notice a difference in lifting energy. I could probably bump it up to 3000 but I’m going to keep it ~2500 until I feel like I need to eat more since I get good rest. I definitely need to up my carb intake. Gonna start adding a potato to every meal since I eat 3 big meals.

Thursday, April 9/2015 - 700PM-845PM

Jump Rope - 5 Min

Deadlift - 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 225x1, 235x5, 235x5, 235x5 → New 3x5 PR
Front Squat - 45x10, 95x5, 95x5, 115x5
Pull Ups - 8, 6, 5, 4
Farmers Walk - 235x20 yards, 235x20 yards, 235x20 yards, 235x20 yards
Paloof Press - 10, 10, 10 (@ 22.5lbs)

SUPER HAPPY with this workout. That 235x5 felt easy to me. DIET and REST has definitely been the 2 huge factors. Finally got to 8 Pull Ups even though that 8th was a struggle. Overall I’m happy with my progress. I actually did the DLs with my Oly shoes and I loved the way it felt. Farmers walk felt heavy but sorta light at the same time. I think I’m getting strong all over. Can’t wait until Saturday to lift again!