Just Another Log

At the end of your workouts. It looks like you are doing mostly full body so the day wouldn’t matter as much.

My split is divided by the big 3 and I put prowlers with Squats and/or Deads and Farmers Carries with deads or rows (but never the day before deads). Yoke carries on Squat days.

For adjusting your training, I’d need a decent snapshot of what it actually is. I think you’re training full body 3x a week, which, if true, I don’t think you’ll need to adjust anything to get in an events day. Just do your training during the week and hit events on Saturday. Extra work can go a long way.

Were I doing your training, I’d move the rep ranges around a bit. Right now, it looks like you’re primarily staying 5-7 reps on the big movements. I think some backoff sets would go a long way toward getting in some more volume and strength in other ranges. Otherwise, movement selection seems pretty solid.

1 Like

Thanks for the thorough response man! I am training full body 2-3x a week. If I know I can only get in twice I make sure to really ramp up my conditioning or push intensity the 2nd day. If I am going 3x its much more moderate across the board. I’ll try adding some back off sets for a few weeks and see how it goes. Would it just be like 2x12 or 3x10 type back off sets?

Dec 29th 2016

Worked out at local YMCA today. Pretty nice setup!

FRONT SQUAT / BB HIP THRUST
165x5 / 115x10
165x5 / 115x10
165x5 / 115x10
165x3
165x3

OVERHEAD PRESS / NG CHIN UPS
120x5 / 9
120x5 / 7
120x5 / 6
95x12 / 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2

DEADLIFT / HANGING LEG RAISES
245x5 / 16
245x5 / 13
245x7 / 12
135x12 (RDL)

Those aren’t bad ideas for back off sets. You could even drop it down to just 1 set of 20ish reps, as long as you’re REALLY grinding them out and pushing yourself.

1 Like

I’m going to try that Monday morning. 1x20 Front Squat sounds like I’m going to pass out already lol.

Dec 30th 2016

Last Training session for 2016.

Ran 2 miles. I could not tell you the last time I even ran 1. Legs feel shaky, but my body feels good.

Week 1 - 1/2/17 - Monday

I had my friend watch my form on everything and he helped me correct all my lifts. FS too much lean, OHP too much lean, etc. So I sucked up my pride and am lowering all the weight to make sure I follow the proper ques. Poundage didn’t drop significantly, but if I’m gonna do this right gotta start off right.

Only work sets will be listed:

FRONT SQUAT (Tight core, elbows up)
155x5
155x5
155x5
*Was going to attempt 1x20 FS, but decided since I’m tightening form to wait a few weeks before trying it. At what % should I be doing 1x20? 50-70%?

OVERHEAD PRESS (Squeeze glutes, tight core) / Chin Ups
105x5 / 6
105x5 / 6
105x3 / 6
105x2 / 4

PENDLAY ROW (As strict as possible)
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5

DB ROW (No turning your core, stomach facing ground whole time)
50x10
50x10

NOTES: Everything felt tighter with the proper ques. Always good to have some other eyes on you to fix things. I was too tired to do any abs. I ate like shit and was just fatigued. I’ll make to superset them with my pulls so I never miss them.

Week 1 - 1/3/17 - Tuesday

45 min Walk. Got a terrible cold with a crazy migraine. Still wanted to get some form of cardio in today, so just went a 45 min walk. Never hurts!

On a side note, the Crock Pot is one of the best inventions ever. I’ve been using it for the last few weeks and it’s cut down my prep time tremendously.

I just put 4-5 lbs of chicken thighs seasoned, potatoes at the bottom, a tomato/onion/cilantro puree and a lil bit of broth. I personally don’t like how veggies turn out in the crock pot, so I eat them separately. This gives me 4 full meals.

My fiance is a vegan, but she primarily eats raw vegan. I have this system now where I eat ALL my veggies at night. It’s worked pretty well so far. Go to bed feeling super light and since I work out in the AM I get all my fats/protein/starchy carbs after until about 5PM.

1 Like

Good for her. I would love to be able to go full vegan, but I know I just don’t have the lifestyle or discipline to do it.

I will eventually probably go vegetarian at some point in my life, to some degree, but no time soon. I’ve cut red meat down to maybe once per month; my diet is mainly fish and chicken now.

1 Like

Yeah man can’t go wrong with all veggies. I only eat fish, chicken, and goat. I’ll eat beef like once a month. I always joke with her that I’m a night time vegetarian. Works out well cause I eat my crock pot stuff during the day and then at night I eat as many veggies has I can get my hands on (plus 2-4 eggs).

My food each day has consisted of:

Pre-Workout
-2 tbsp Peanut Butter
-2 tbsp Honey

Post-Workout (One Sitting)
-1.25 lb Chicken Thighs
-1 lb Small Red Potatoes
-2 bananas

Dinner
2-4 eggs
A SHIT TON of veggies (roasted, raw, salad, everything in sight).

This gives me a daily baseline (I don’t count veggies in this):

184.6g Carbs
76.5g Fat
175.8g Protein
2125.7 Calories

With the almonds, cashews, and some other random shit I might eat during the day this will keep me from over doing the calories. My maintenance window says it’s anywhere from 2300-2800 depending on activity level. I figure while I’m gaining strength to keep my cals on lower side and then slowly increase to minimize the fat gain.

For anyone following any advice on anything is always appreciated!

Week 1 - 1/2/17 - FRIDAY

Got snowed in so had to push my Wednesday workout to today, and I’ll do Friday’s tomorrow. Gotta get 3 in a week no matter what!

FRONT SQUAT (Bar speed much better)
155x6
155x6
155x6

BENCH PRESS / CHIN-UPS (Felt much tighter, especially in my back, ass on the bench didn’t move)
145x5 / 5
145x5 / 5
145x7 / 5, 4, 3

225x5 / 15
225x5 / 15
225x6 / 15

NOTES: Everything felt tighter. Glad I decided to lower weight and make sure I felt it. For the first time in my life, I truly felt my deadlifts in my abs and glutes firing! Gonna have to tough it out tomorrow.

2 Likes

Week 2 - 1/9/17 - MONDAY

Went to IKEA on Saturday which basically screwed up my whole weekend lol. Lots of moving and screwing haha.

FRONT SQUAT
160x5
160x5
160x5

OVERHEAD PRESS / NEUTRAL GRIP PULL UPS
105x5 / 6
105x5 / 6
105x5 / 5
105x3 / 5
105x2 / 5

235x5 / 15
235x5 / 15
235x5 / 12
185x10 / 6

NOTES: Decided I’m going to put my Deadlifts at the beginning of the week. Program still the same, just swapped days around. So the day I deadlift I don’t Front Squat as heavy to make sure my legs are primed!

Just found out I’m going on a 6 week business trip. I’ll need to find a gym by my hotel.

How could I continue my training if I could only train 2x a week for 6 weeks? I’m thinking I could:

DAY 1
Front Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift
*Dips, Chin Ups, Abs

DAY 2
Front Squat
Overhead Press
Rows
*DB Bench, Chin Ups, Abs

OTHER DAYS
Do mobility, bw exercises in hotel, and then go on runs when I can. The hotel (I’m assuming) will have a small gym so maybe hit a few of those machines 1 day a week.

1 Like

Week 2 - 1/10/19 - Tuesday

60 Min Walk and mobility work. Going to meal prep today.

So, I was in D.C./Arlington over the summer and literally just bought a pass for the time I was there at a local gym. I Googled the area and looked at what gyms were around and just chose one that seemed convenient with the equipment that I needed. Personally, if I’m gone for more than 3 days, I find a legit gym to train at unless I am vacationing or something (then I just don’t care about training).

If you only have 2 days per week that you can train, consolidate your main movements into those two days and forget the rest, basically like what you have written there. If you’re short on time, just hit your two most important movements on each day, and hit them hard.

1 Like

Sounds good man. I figure if I hit my main lifts (front squat, ohp, dl) heavy and hard mainly, I should be still progressing even with only 2 days a week, especially if only for 6 weeks.

Week 2 - 1/11/17 - WEDNESDAY

SNATCH
95x3
95x3
95x3
95x3
95x3
95x3

FRONT SQUAT
160x5
160x5
160x5
135x3 (Paused)
135x3 (Paused)
135x3 (Paused)

OVERHEAD PRESS / PULL UPS
110x5 / 6
110x5 / 5
110x5 / 4
95x8 / 4
35x10 (DB) / 3
35x10 (DB) / 3

DB ROW / AB WHEEL
50x12 / 10
50x12 / 10
50x12 / 10
50x12 / 10
50x12 / 10

NOTES: The 24 Hour Fitness I will start going to now has bumper plates (full rig with 4 squat racks)! Felt good to snatch after a 6 months of not doing it. Technique was a bit choppy, but my last 3 sets were super snappy. I forgot how much doing snatches/cleans (classic or variation) really gets you primed to squat especially. My front squats felt super explosive. I really like DB rows over the BB variation. I’ll stick with the DB rows for 3-4 months and see how I do with BB then.

1 Like

Week 2 - 1/12/17 - THURSDAY

Just mobility work and meal prepping. Went on a 30 minute walk.

I need to make sure I am eating properly. I am not eating as consistently as I need to be. I’m trying to keep it simple. So far this week on lifting days I’ve eaten:

Breakfast
-4 eggs
-2 english muffins
-1 oz cheese
-1 shake (peanut butter, 1 banana, 2-3 handfuls of spinach, chia/hemp seeds)

Lunch
-1/2 lb chicken thighs
-1 cup rice
-veggies (salad)
-1 banana

Dinner
-1/2 lb chicken thighs
-1/2 lb potatoes
-veggies (roasted)

This gives me roughly:
213g Carbs
85g Fat
174g Protein
2315 Calories

Since I’m trying to change my body composition, I feel like as long as I stay eating like this I’ll be fine.

1 Like