From Urkel to Stefan - Phase 1

This week I’m going to be in Denver from Thursday-Sunday, so I won’t be working out on Friday. So I HAVE to push hard on Monday and Wednesday.

MONDAY 11/9/15

Back Squat
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x3
170x5
170x5
170x5

Bench Press
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x4
155x5
155x5
155x5

Chest Supported Rows
45x10
75x10
75x10
75x8
45x10

Decline Weighted Situps
+10x12
+10x10
BWx12

Chin Ups

Today’s workout felt REALLY good compared to last week. I think the consistency and balance of the program proved to be good today. My body felt weak during squats, but after that I was moving well. I think my nutrition needs to tighten up for sure and I need to keep pushing. The one thing I’ve noticed about myself is that I’m still tight everywhere. I need to consistently stretch everyday and maybe hit up yoga some more. It takes me a while to keep loosened up.

I was honestly thinking about break dancing again like I did in HS for my cardio. I think it would translate well. I’d get my cardio, mobility, balance, and athleticism back lol.

WEDNESDAY 11/18/15

Only going to list work sets moving forward.

Front Squat
155x5
155x5
165x5 → Previous PR. This felt SO stable and smooth!

Overhead Press
125x5 → New PR! Finally got 125x5!
120x5
115x5

Snatch Grip DL + Pull
185x5
195x5
205x5

Ab Roller
x10
x10
x10
x10

Inverted Row → The 2 second hold at the top was KILLER! The last set no way I could do that lol.
x10
x10
x10
x10

WEDNESDAY WORKOUT:

So today was a weird day. I felt super crappy before working out but then all of a sudden I had a really good training session.

Front squats felt stable. I think my form is getting tighter and my core & back have been getting stronger which has helped my stability. 155 almost felt too easy, so last set I decided to push it a lil bit and 165 felt surprisingly stable. Overhead press felt GOOD! The 125x5 was a bit of struggle on the last 2 reps, but I got it! I’m 165 and the fact I could OHP 125x5 made me feel good. Ever since I started only OHP once a week, I felt like it’s started to creep up a bit. Snatch DL + Pulls felt fine. The snatch grip is killing my upper back and forearms lol. In just 2 weeks, I’ve already seen my back has gained some size.

Ab wheels felt good today. So the inverted rows with the 2 sec pause at the top was killer! My back still feels it right now lol. Definitely will keep doing this until they feel super easy and then will either add some weight or just going really slow up and down.

In Denver from Thursday-Sunday, so no lifting until Monday for me.

But luckily, I’m going skiing for the first time in my life on Saturday with my gf and her siblings. I’m sure I’m going to be sore as hell come Sunday lol.

MONDAY 11/23/15

Back Squat
180x5
180x5
180x5

Bench Press
160x5
160x5
160x5

Chest Supported Rows
75x10
75x10
75x10
75x10

Hanging Leg Raises (Decline Weighted Situps bench was broken!!)

Chin Ups

On the subject of inverted rows: Try some Fat Grips/Iron Grips.

I just discovered this combination. Goodbye every muscle fiber involved.

WORKOUT COMMENTS:

I didn’t warm up properly and it really affected my squats. I think also not squatting for 4 days or stretching and then skiing on Saturday affected me as well. Oh well just have to keep pushing. Also I have to make sure to stay tighter in my upper back.

Bench felt good, but my left arm felt a bit unstable. Benching has come the easiet to me and I think it’s because of my short arms lol.

Today overall it was a good workout. I have to tighten up my diet a bit more to make sure I stay consistent!

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:
On the subject of inverted rows: Try some Fat Grips/Iron Grips.

I just discovered this combination. Goodbye every muscle fiber involved.[/quote]

I actually have some Fat Grips at the house as well. I’m going to give this a try on Wednesday to see how it goes. My forearms are already shaking haha!

TUES 11/24/15

Did some random cardio. I ran for 10 minutes on the Curve Treadmill.
I did some techinque work with the bar for snatches and C&J.
I boxed for 15 minutes on the punching bag.
I then ended it with 20 minutes of work on bboying(Footwork) and handstands!

WEDNESDAY 11/25/15

Front Squat
155x
160x
170x

Overhead Press
130x
125x
120x

Snatch Grip DL + Pull
195x
205x
215x

Ab Roller
x
x
x

Inverted Row w/ Fat Grips
x
x
x
x

Today’s workout was pretty good. My stomach was feeling weird, but I think that was the chick peas I ate before lol.

Finally got to 170x5 on FS! This was definitely a grind it out type set.

Overhead press felt WEAK today. I’ll have to try to get to 125 3x5 before I can move up in weight. So to make up for all the missed reps, decided to add in more volume today.

Snatch grip DL/Pulls felt fine. When I did 215 and I have bumpers I dropped it once I got to the top on reps 3-5. I need to stop that. If I can pick it up, I should be able to put it down.

Ab Roller felt good. No more back arching when doing this!

Inverted Rows felt GOOD. I could feel it in my lats. The Fat Grip was too hard. I’ll eventually use those grips on other things, but not until my next block.

SATURDAY 11/28/15

Back Squat
185x5
185x5
185x5

Dips
BWx10
+35x5
+35x5
+35x5
BWx10

Pendlay Row
135x5
135x5
140x5
140x5
140x5

Hanging Leg Raises

NG Pull Ups

Lifts are looking strong man, great work!

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Lifts are looking strong man, great work![/quote]

Thanks man, appreciate that! Trying to get to your level!

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
SATURDAY 11/28/15

Back Squat
185x5
185x5
185x5

Dips
BWx10
+35x5
+35x5
+35x5
BWx10

Pendlay Row
135x5
135x5
140x5
140x5
140x5

Hanging Leg Raises

NG Pull Ups
[/quote]

WORKOUT COMMENTS:

I tweaked my back back squatting. I think I lost tightness during one of my sets and my left erector/hip area feels strained. It affected the rest of my workout. It still hurts a bit this morning. If it is still feeling like this on Monday, I’m going to either do a light squat day with volume just do leg press/leg curl for the one day.

Dips felt good. I’m getting my groove back with them. The belt that is at the gym can only hold up to one 45lb plate, so I might need to use volume with the 45 until I can get a belt that can hold more.

Pendlay rows felt SHITTY today. My back being strained affected it too much. I should have just done Chest Supported Rows today but oh well.

Hanging Leg raises are starting to get easier (they get my abs sore!) and my chin up strength is starting to go up.

Overall decent workout. I might need to rest today and tomorrow and get this week workout Tue/Thur/Sat instead to give my back an extra day of rest.

MONDAY 11/30/15

Back Squat (lower back was still aggravated)
155x5
155x5
155x5

Bench Press
165x5
165x5
165x5

Chest Supported Rows
80x8
80x8
80x8
80x6

Hanging Leg Raises (Lower back was just killing me)

Chin Ups

I decided to squat lighter to see how my back would respond.

I had a shitty workout (besides setting a PR in Bench) because my left lower back was hurting.

This is the 3rd time I’ve had some sorta pain back squatting in my short lifting career and I’m starting to think just MAYBE I might not designed to back squat heavy. I’ve never had any pains FS before. I’m going to stretch, rest, do dynamic work, and hopefully this is just a minor setback. OR I might have to something different and address weaknesses before back squatting meaning I might need to get my core glutes hamstrings and quads stronger (bb hip thrust, rdl, ab/low back work, trap bar DL/leg, ghr/curls) for a block and then come back to back squatting. But I’m going to push through with my current plan until I know that is direction I need to take.

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
OR I might have to something different and address weaknesses before back squatting meaning I might need to get my core glutes hamstrings and quads stronger (bb hip thrust, rdl, ab/low back work, trap bar DL/leg, ghr/curls) for a block and then come back to back squatting. But I’m going to push through with my current plan until I know that is direction I need to take. [/quote]

So… Strengthening the muscles that are being strengthened by the back squat? Seriously, just stick to your plan and stay tight in the future. My advice might be different if your goal were different but you want to be really good a weight lifting - having a good squat to full depth is pretty much mandatory.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
So… Strengthening the muscles that are being strengthened by the back squat? Seriously, just stick to your plan and stay tight in the future. My advice might be different if your goal were different but you want to be really good a weight lifting - having a good squat to full depth is pretty much mandatory.
[/quote]

Thanks man! You’re right. I was just voicing my frustration lol. I’m going to upload a video on Friday/Saturday and hopefully you guys will be able to tell me what my issue is. Thanks!