GarageRocker's Balancing Act

Squat Widowmaker on 531 week is going to be off the chain. I’m hoping you record it so we can all watch the suffering that ensues.

1 Like

Fuck, I didn’t even look at that. Maybe I’ll leave one or two in the tank on the 1+ set and see if I can rock 20 on the widowmaker. Or shit my pants. Whichever happens first.

4 Likes

300lbs for 20? Good fucking luck.

4 Likes

I saw that squat widowmaker and simultaneously evil laughed and puked.

1 Like

@carlbm let him know it’ll all be ok if you just give in to the Widowmaker.

Edit: @garagerocker13 I am not disputing your ability to grind whatsoever, if it’s coming off that way… I may just look forward to other people’s impending physical misery. I have got to say though, that is quite an accomplishment to even have 300x20 be an option IMO.

1 Like

Yeah man - widow makers are fun.
By fun I mean terrible. By terrible I mean it’s like Satan gets to play with your soul.

You’ll be “fine”.

If you’re not used to high rep squats a few pointers.

Get used to hating life, the universe and everything.
Prepare your coping strategies now. Dont assume you’ll just breeze it. Be ready for self doubt. That voice in your head that wants you to quit will be VERY load.
Reps 1-10 will be simple. 11-15 hellish. After that it gets hard. You’ll feel like you cant even stay stood up. So pace yourself. I struggle sometimes as my leg go weak and I do another rep out of spite. Like I’m sticking 2 fingers up at gravity. It’s a childish behaviour that I need to control.
Dont panic.

Fyi my best widow maker is 286lb in 151 seconds (2mins 31). This was after amrap on the front squat. Same weight.
Genuinely just think about the next rep. Take your take time. You’ll be fine

2 Likes

Thanks man, I appreciate the tips! I’ve run Limited Time and Widowmaker circuits before and love/hated them both. Interested to see if it goes better this time because I’m stronger and more mature, and I know that I can’t push conventional deadlifts for reps and walk the next day. Sumo is way better for me. I think my best was 265 or 285 for 20 but I’ll have to check back - it sucked ass.

Edit: nope, I lied. 250 x 20 is my best. We’ll see what happens :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s still a hell of a weight for 20 reps. My “goal” is 200kg for 20. I know it’s a long shot. And it’s not gonna be a quick set IF I get it. But I’d wear that like a badge of honor.

1 Like

That’s a serious ambition, love it, might be the next race after 200 & 220!

X2

Just remember: no-one ever fails at high rep squats, they just quit.

1 Like

Mate it’s not a race I “want” to run. But its been uttered. I can so no reason (bar its genuinely stupid) not to do it.

People have died of high rep squats. I myself have died 3 times doing high rep squats. Twice in one set in fact.

Ps I edited my post. No idea why I didnt see “Ake” when I was proof reading.

1 Like

But did you fail?

No. I die afterwards. Crushed in the sea of beautiful women who came to witness “Them Gains”.

2 Likes

9/25/2020 - Bench/Squat Day

Up and moving. Still sore from circuit the other day. Normal PWO except I did my jumps into the tailgate of my truck instead of my box.

Bench
45 x 5
110 x 5
135 x 5
160 x 3
185 x 3
210 x 3
240 x 8

185 x 17

Squat
45 x 5
160 x 5
210 x 5
240 x 3
280 x 3
320 x 3
360 x 6

280 x 10

Kroc rows - 105 lbs - 30 reps/arm

Overall I’m less pleased with this session than I should be. I did OK reps-wise and was happy with the fight on bench. I let my low back go into hyperextension as my body’s boneheaded way to conserve some energy (horrible idea) and had to spend time on my inversion table between the PR set and widowmaker. Fixed the issue there but didn’t push it. Kroc rows are a bitch.

My assistance circuit tomorrow will have ab wheel rollouts in it so I can straighten my damn back out.

6 Likes

Those are some pretty smooth squats man. Bar flew up

Thanks, but sonofabitch did they hurt my back. Got it squared away now but that wasn’t super fun. You can see my hips shift pretty bad in the video, which is what happens when I hyperextend my lower back.

Big garage dude squats

1 Like

Four rounds through my 5-round assistance circuit session and I’ve thrown several things across my basement. My body is fucking useless and has been for the last 2 weeks. My left side is doing all the work and I’m making my reps only through rage. I haven’t recovered from the session I did a week ago and managed to luxate a rib while trying to take a nap on my couch. Very glad to have a vacation coming up.

Finished my 5 rounds and it was rough. 100% my fault though, I let cardio and mobility slip. Epsom bath tonight, Agile 8 tomorrow, press/deadlift wednesday, circuit Thursday. Will try to fit cardio in there somewhere.

5 times through, rest as needed - 25 minutes total time
20 inverted rows
15 dips
15 ab wheel rollouts

2 Likes

9/30/2020 - Press/Deadlift Day and National Depression Day for Indians fans and people who like America…

Up at 4 and feeling great. Melatonin and chamomile tea with passionflower extract gave me 6 good hours of sleep last night. Normal PWO routine, including Amazon brand pre-workout.

Press
45 x 5
65 x 5
80 x 5
95 x 3
110 x 3
125 x 3
140 x 8 - fuuuuuuuuck yeah

110 x 15

Deadlift
175 x 5
220 x 5
265 x 3
310 x 3
350 x 3
395 x 8

310 x 10 - cut due to knee pain

Kroc Rows - 105 lbs - 37 reps/arm

Wholesale improvement over the other two workouts this week. My body functioned and I was able to push everything but the DL widowmaker hard. I feel good.

4 Likes