From Fat Nerd to Frank N. Furter

I feel like you might be underestimating the calories you are eating.

How did you cook your eggs? Are your tuna cans mini size?

How did you judge the calorie and portion size of the chicken Parmesan?

The only way to accurately measure solids is to weigh them. It’s something I would recommend everyone do for a month if they have trouble with losing weight. It’s not really sustainable to do for the long term though, but it teaches you to eyeball portion sizes and calories a lot better.

I’ve just been going by suggested serving sizes, trying to stick to one or two servings per meal, depending on what kinds of food it is. The eggs I’ve either just been pan-frying in a little bit of oil or scrambling (no cream or milk). The chicken parm is the same way; I combined the total numbers for a serving size of each element (chicken, sauce, cheese), weighing them out on a scale to make sure I was close.

PROGRESS PICS - MAY 14TH, 2020

I figured I should start doing progress pics, as well, so that I can track and see any changes over the coming weeks/months. As I’m still very much in the beginning stages, the pics aren’t exactly…flattering.

I think my least favorite aspect of where I’m at now is my wide hips and love handles. If even those were smaller or gone, I would feel so much better about myself. But that’s what I’m doing this for: to better myself so I can FEEL better about myself.

Looking forward to seeing your progress buddy.

2 Likes

May 14th, 2020
Thursday

I’m starting to get to the point where I don’t necessarily need to weigh stuff exactly anymore; I toyed around with testing myself on the food scale with different ingredients I usually use, and more or less came to the same results on most times. This will make my food prep a lot easier, I think, and as long as I’m keeping the number of things I have to weigh and measure to a shorter list, I can at least remember numbers and nutritional facts for a few different food items I use often.

Looking back at the progress pics I posted earlier today…I just can’t believe I’ve let myself go so far…it seriously redoubles my resolve to get in shape as soon as I can. The fact that I’ve started enjoying running is probably a good sign, cuz I’m likely going to need to do quite a bit more of it in the coming weeks. That and eating better, and getting in a few days of weight training a week…essentially changing up a good portion of my lifestyle. lol

But I want the change. I don’t like being lazy and slovenly. I want to get up and do more. I want to feel like I have more energy and strength, and to feel lighter and more toned.

I’ve got the ideal image of what I’d like to reach in the future firmly in my mind, and I think I’m going to finally keep at it until I reach it. I know it’s going to take a while, but I’ve got to be patient.

May 18th, 2020
Monday

It’s been a pretty eventful weekend, and I didn’t really have the time/emotional capacity to complete daily logs. Dealing with work shit, family shit, and a marginally-unexpected breakup really drained me, but I felt considerably better this morning when I stepped on the scale. I didn’t necessarily eat poorly this weekend, except in that I probably didn’t eat enough, but I’m going to give myself a pass on that, at least for this weekend. I’ve been adding more cardio to my schedule lately, and I think it’s helping me jump-start my journey to my goals.

Also lifted for the first time in a few days this morning, and it felt really good to vent my frustrations out on my weight bench. Last week I was starting to lose steam with my goals and convictions, but Monday brings renewed vigor and I’m ready to keep at it!

Any updates? Been following along.

Hey everybody, sorry it’s been a while! I’ve actually made some pretty good progress! Was going to post a full update tonight but I’ll just do the highlights tonight and give a full report tomorrow. Been upping my cardio (6 mile walks every other day, usually with a weighted pack) and lifting at least 3x a week, plus eating mainly chicken, beef and veggies with the occasional piece of whole wheat toast and plenty of water. Weighed in today and I’m down to 257.2 lbs.!

I’m obviously doing SOMETHING right and I couldn’t be more stoked. The advice you’ve all given me has been paying off. Im going to keep checking in, but at this rate I think I’ll meet my goal by September, and I can’t thank you enough! :grin:

June 6th, 2020
Saturday

Howdy ho, everybody!

Sorry I’ve been off for a while; it’s been really hectic with work and some family stuff going on, so my ability to jump on and give detailed updates has been severely limited. I’m hoping that after next Thursday (school’s out!) I’ll be able to make my fitness goals top priority. I’ve still been managing to get out for a walk (6 miles round trip) at least every other day, if not every day, and though my lifting schedule has dwindled a bit, I’m eager to get back on an even pace in that regard. Actually picked up the dumbbells today and got a good arm/chest workout in after completing some coursework for my summer classes.

Got on the scale today and I’m down to 254.4lbs; so far, since May 4th I’ve dropped about 14lbs! I feel like that’s a great accomplishment for me; I’m hoping to keep up that trend - even speed it up a little bit if possible - and get myself in shape before the end of September (original goal). What would you say? Is that about right, or should I be losing more/less in this time frame?

Diet-wise, I’ve been sticking to proteins and veggies for the most part - I did go out for a celebratory dinner last night (oh yeah, btw, I’m going to be a full-time middle school teacher for the next school year: Drama and Filmmaking!) and had my first gourmet cheeseburger in a LONG time - but otherwise I’ve been trying to stay clean and healthy. Taking supplements to support any deficiencies I may have in my diet - I’ve posted progress pics and what supps I’m taking, in case you may have any input or suggestions for alternatives. I’m all ears, and as always I’m willing to try whatever you may have in mind.

Otherwise, I plan on starting up my detailed logs again soon, at least as soon as I can slow down enough to remember to fill them in. Like I said, it’s been pretty busy lately.

Hope you all are staying happy, healthy and strong!

(Side note: what exercises/tips would you recommend for working on the love handles? They’re really the one area where I’m the most insecure and uncertain, and honestly, if I could reduce or get rid of them altogether I’d consider that a sizable win in my book, even if I still have a little bit of a gut.)

I’m fairly confident the only way to get rid of love handles is just to lose fat which you seem to be doing a great job with so far.

In terms of supplements I’ve seen a lot of people recommend fish oil and vitamin d3 on here. I also take a magnesium supplement because I feel like I sleep better when I do and a multi just in case it helps.

1 Like

It’s gotten quiet in here, how’s it going?

1 Like

June 27th, 2020
Sunday

Damn, I didn’t realize it’s been almost a month since my last post! Between finishing up the school year and starting summer courses, time had been flying by and I’ve been hella busy.

Overall things are still going well! Still losing weight; just below 250 lbs. at the moment, and I managed to get my hands on a cable weight machine for super cheap at a rummage sale! (It was a hell of a time getting it home in the back of my truck!) Just ordered some attachments and stuff for it, should be arriving today.

Been walking regularly and doing combos of machine exercises and free weight routines. Trying to see what works for me now that I have more options. I know free weights offer better range of movement and work more of the muscles overall, but I’m also really enjoying the machine. Might you have any suggestions for cable-based routines? (Machine goes up to 550 lbs. altogether, offers butterfly, preacher curls, pulldown bar, leg extensions and press, and a couple of other possibilities.)

Eating healthy for the most part, though I did let myself indulge a bit last night during a staff meeting. Still going on lengthy walks at least every other day (6 miles in about 2 hours), but all the summer homework I’ve got going on has definitely kept me busy; I’m reading a full book almost every day, plus responses and peer feedback. My brain is exhausted; I’d rather be working out. Lol

July 2nd, 2020
Thursday

God damn, it’s already Thursday…when you do nothing but school work all day the time either goes triple time or slows to an unreasonable crawl. Luckily I’m still finding time to get some sort of workout in every day, whether it be cardio or weight training.

I’ve been doing an alternating schedule for the past few days that seems to be working for me (one day weight training, one day six-mile walk/hike), and with this new heatwave hitting northeast Wisconsin I’ve been sweating bullets. And I hit another milestone: I’m OFFICIALLY below 250 lbs.! Weighed in at 247 yesterday and got hella excited. I know I’ve still got a ways to go, but I just realized that since the beginning of March, I’ve lost almost 25 lbs. Just that little fact makes me feel like my ultimate goals are possible. I also feel like my arms have gotten a little bigger, and my shoulders seem slightly more defined, so maybe I’m doing something right.

I would like to get my delts a bit bigger (they seem kinda sloped to me) so perhaps I’ll put more emphasis on them for the time being and even out my proportions. And as always, my chest needs some serious attention; I’ve still got mild titty-ness going on and it’s annoying the shit outta me. One of these days I’ll have actual pecs…

I’ve been doing well ignoring my love handles for the time being, and I feel that with losing weight they’ve gotten at least a little smaller, so it’s just “slow and steady” for the time being. Same with the gut; it’s a little smaller but I’ve just gotta be patient.

I just keep remembering about a year and a half ago, when I weighed 212, and was so proud of myself for getting myself in some semblance of shape. Of course, back then I was doing manual labor six days a week on a vineyard/farm, so I had more consistent exercise going, and jobs like that aren’t readily available or profitable at the moment here in Wisconsin, at least in my area. And besides, I genuinely love being a teacher, so I’m going to stick with it!

It would be so much easier, I think, if I had an actual workout partner or coach to work with. I don’t suppose any of my followers live in Wisconsin and would want to get a regular training session going? That may be asking too much at the moment, which is totally understandable (I fully respect and follow social distancing) but I feel I need that one-on-one interaction to get me motivated. That’s not to say the advice I’ve got on here hasn’t been immensely helpful, and again, I can’t thank all of you enough for supporting me and offering your suggestions - I’ve been trying them all out to see what works. I just hope we can get back to some semblance of normality soon so I can actually feel comfortable asking for face-to-face help; I think I need that personal interaction.

But I can be patient…unless anyone wants to do virtual workout sessions! :smile:

3 Likes

July 14th, 2020
Tuesday

What’s good, everybody?

It’s been a couple…weeks…since I’ve posted but things are going okay so far. I haven’t made too much progress on the weight loss since my last post - been hovering around the 250-mark - but I’ve also been letting my diet slide again. Yesterday I started up calorie counting again, and have been living on a steady supply of chicken, vegetables, eggs, protein shakes and LOTS of water. (My farts are really spectacular. lol)

The new training schedule I’ve chosen is going pretty well; I’ve been alternating weight training and cardio days, but am favoring weight training in the event of poor weather. On Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays I’ve been doing some cable exercises for chest/back/arms and some free weight exercises for shoulders/arms, and Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays are my walking days - generally I go hiking out by my house, keeping a steady 3mph average for about 6 miles. Definitely works up a sweat, and I generally wear a weighted backpack (about 30lbs) for more resistance. Still getting used to the weight measurements on the cable machine; I know the plates are 12.5 apiece, but the cables themselves add different resistance, too, so I haven’t been too consistent on keeping a lifting log.

Otherwise, schoolwork and my summer antics have been keeping me busy and somewhat active; hopefully by going back on a better diet I’ll start dropping again. Still wish I could find someone to work out with; I seriously think I need that one-on-one motivation. What are other peoples’ preferences; do you prefer to work out alone or with a partner? What are the advantages of both?

I’m gonna have to start making this a more regular log again; need to keep myself motivated and engaged. Thank you guys again for checking in on me and supporting this fat boy’s journey. :slight_smile:

I prefer working out with someone else too, providing they bring a similar sort of effort level. For now the next best thing is probably logging here and getting some discussions going. What does a typical lifting day look like for you?

2 Likes

Typically I get up around 6am (lately I’ve been sleeping in till 7), get coffee made, check emails, and am in the garage by 7:30 or 8:00. Lately I’ve been only going for about a half-hour to 45 minutes, with three sets of each of the cable machine’s extensions (butterfly, chest press, leg press, lat pulldown, bicep curls, cross-body cable press, to name a few). I try to get creative and come up with other workouts, but I’ve generally been sticking to that cycle. Then after I feel I’ve got a good circuit in I usually go in and have a protein shake, add some berries or a banana, shower, and work on classwork.

1 Like

Personally I hate working out with anyone else.Even when I go to a gym with company, we rarely communicate up until the last 1-2 exercises, and that just to fool around

That though I can agree on.Speaking with fellow lifters from all around the world is pretty fun

1 Like

I agree, I’ve definitely gotten some really great advice from like-minded individuals on here; it’s great to find a community that supports each other reaching their personal goals! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not to mention being able to brag endlessly :sweat_smile:

True, that’s always fun too! Hopefully I’ll have something substantial to brag about before long. :slight_smile:

1 Like