From Dud to Stud: The Journey To Glory

Ohhhh that sucks man. I’d definitely recommend you find a good gym, but if it’s tough for you to afford it then I don’t know. How much are gyms in your area?

If you do get a new bar, get a 45 pound one, and definitely find a better way to set it up!

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
Ohhhh that sucks man. I’d definitely recommend you find a good gym, but if it’s tough for you to afford it then I don’t know. How much are gyms in your area?

If you do get a new bar, get a 45 pound one, and definitely find a better way to set it up![/quote]

Yeah…I think I’m going to get a gym membership.

Anyways - because I don’t have 6 days to dedicate to traveling to a gym my 5/6 DAW routine is now going to be a 4 DAW. Here’s the new thaaaaaaaang.

Chest/Tris
Benchx4 10-8-6-4
Dipsx50 reps
Tricep Choice 3x8

Back
Deadlift 40 reps
Barbell/DB Rowx4
WGPU 30 reps

Shoulders/Traps/Bis
BBOHP 3x10
Lateral Raises 3x10-15
Reverse Laterals 3x15-20
Shrugs 4x10
Bicep Choice 3x8

Legs
Squat 40 reps

Some new goals:
Bench 375 (275x10-11 rep goal)
Squat 405 (315x10 rep goal)
Deadlift 475 (365x10 rep goal)
OHP 225 (175x10 rep goal)

I lowered the goals and the only reason why I did that is because I want to move onto Westside Barbell once I reach these goals and use their routine. I want to compete in powerlifting so I figured I’d build a solid hypertrophy base and then fine tune the muscle I added into usable CNS building blocks. Takes muscle to adapt the CNS to muscle.

You have the right idea, especially for raw training. You need more volume work starting out for a foundation and you seem to be doing that. Most people continuously want to hit 1RM singles on every lift and when you’re raw it beats you up. When you transfer over to the conjugate system you’ll have to take some time to play around with your template, but I’m sure it’ll work well for you. If you believe in your training and have fun you will yield the greatest gains.

Week 2 Day 1) Chest & Wrestling

A.M. Wrestling

10 minute jog warm up
Stretch
1-5 5-1 ladders (want to work my way up to 10)
Wrestling drills 20 minutes (shots and sprawls - keeping it simple at first)
Conditioning: 3 medium sprints

P.M.

Warm Up:
1 minute jump rope
External Rotator cuff warm up 80 reps (40 ea arm)
20 Push ups
Bench Press: 135x10, 155x5, 175x3

Bench Press:
200x10
225x8
250x6
275x2 (I feel like I could have gotten 3, but I had no spotter so I didn’t want to risk it)

Max Pull Up (Wide Grip) test:
BWx5

Cable Fly
80x15
80x9
80x7

Band Pull Apart
Redx2x25

*Notes: So for the bench press I had no choice but to use the 10 lbs bar which wasn’t as bad as I though. The bar is a good foot shorter than my other bar so I thought it was going to be so much easier. Turns out the small bar was actually maybe a bit harder. It’s one of those twist ones and when you lock it in to hold the plates tight it doesn’t allow the plates to move which makes it that much harder. I learned to give it some space, but only until I was half way in. I hit a PR on the reps for the bench press which was awesome. Hopefully next week I will be able to get the entire thing. 10-8-6-4.

The reason why I didn’t do dips and did cable flies instead was because of my elbows. I haven’t done sprawls in FOREVER and I forgot hot much wear and tear it has on your shoulders. Especially because I’m sprawling onto the ground and not a wrestling mat. My elbows got pretty mucked up from it so I’m going to be icing them every day after both lifting and wrestling. Also, wrestling was a bitch. I forgot how hard wrestling was and how completely out of shape I am. Makes me angrier. I’ll be damned if I let the exercises beat me. I am trying to work my way up though and not just dive in. Diving into sprints and hard core interval training when you’re 290 lbs is not a good idea.

People over at west side apparently train their upper back like…10 times a week (at least 4). I understand that the upper back musculature makes it very hard to over train it and you should ALWAYS have more pulling in your routine than pushing. So on chest day I’m also adding band pull aparts and a max on pull ups. Super fricken awesome that I got 5 at 290 :D. Also, my plan for pull ups is to do 15 every 2 days and 30 on upper back day and a max out on chest day. So It will look like: Monday (Max out), Wednesday (30), Friday (15), Sunday (15). In total it will be 60+ WGPU a week. That’s both volume and frequency. My goal is to be able to do 10 WGPU at 280 (which will take me about 4-5 more weeks).

I also keep rolling over to my side and sleeping on my shoulder. That’s pissing me the fuck off because I keep screwing up my shoulder. Thinking about sleeping with a lead weight on my chest so I don’t roll over.

An example of a meal in my diet: 6oz lean beef, 1/4 cup almonds, A vegetable (preferably in the Brassica family such as: Broccoli, kale, mustards, brussel sprouts, bok choi, and cauliflower, etc.) I try and keep my keto diet as paleo as possible (at least 3 meals out of 4-6) and I may add cheese and dressing for my veggies through out the day. Only carbs I get are from eggs, cheese, veggies, and nuts.

yo

Just saying with the upper back thing you’re on the right track. Nothing can ever ever go wrong by doing more upper back work. Try facepulls as well

[quote]PlainPat wrote:
Just saying with the upper back thing you’re on the right track. Nothing can ever ever go wrong by doing more upper back work. Try facepulls as well[/quote]

I would love to do facepulls if I had a machine to do them with. I work out in the tack room of my barn. When I get to the gym I will most definitely do facepulls.

[quote]MaximusE wrote:

[quote]PlainPat wrote:
Just saying with the upper back thing you’re on the right track. Nothing can ever ever go wrong by doing more upper back work. Try facepulls as well[/quote]

I would love to do facepulls if I had a machine to do them with. I work out in the tack room of my barn. When I get to the gym I will most definitely do facepulls.[/quote]
do you have any bands?

Week 2 day 2) Hammies, Abs & Wrestling

Warm Up:
1 minute jump rope
Stretch
Deadlift 135x10, 225 2x5, 275x1

Deadlift:
315x9
315x2x3 (no straps)

Abs:
Crunches + 25lbsx4x15
Planksx2x30s
Side planksx2x30s

*Notes: So today I was so tired. I couldn’t even think of trying to go through 40 reps of deadlifting today. Epic fail. So I did an ab dominant day where I did light work with out straps and a max out on reps (I left 2 in the tank. I knew I could have gotten 11, but I knew my form would go to shit) for the DL and I did a lot of ab work. I did a total of 15 reps so it was like 3x5. Next week I’ll try and get 35 reps for DLing instead of 30.

Oh yeah and my bar is even more messed up then I thought lol. It somehow got twisted and not just bent. I may have to use my 10lbs bar for deadlifting too, but I don’t want to because I know it will snap in half like a twig. Working on that gym membership. I’m working mornings and nights at the cow farms (5:30-7:30 a.m. and same for p.m.) and I’m also going to a horse farm to clean stalls for awhile so I can get a 6 month membership. SHIT (pun intended).

Same wrestling work out as yesterday.